mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

In the market for a new Cellphone.

I'm with sprint and I currently have an LG Optimus G that I am completely not in love with. My previous phone was an HTC Evo 4g, and it was wonderful. I'm looking at replacing my current phone with an HTC M8, but figured I'd ask around for opinions on it. I'm not married to the M8, so if you can think of a better option, I'd like to hear it.

A few notes:
-I am not interested in Apple products.
-I dislike the button placement on the Galaxy SIII (I don't know if later versions are different).
-I always root my phones, so 3rd party support is important.
-I have kids and my phone is my only camera, so I'd like a decent one. This 13mp LG camera has been a big disappointment.

Thanks!

My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

I love the camera on my galaxy s5. Main reason I have it. Also like the camera software. The phone is water resistant, and with the case I have, a tech21, it is also drop resistant, which is good for little hands that want to look at the pictures. This is the first smart phone that I have owned that I have not rooted. You can disable the bloatware, which is really nice. I have heard the antenna is not as good as other products, which can suck in certain rural areas. I get 4g in the woods hunting outside of my little town, but not even 3g on the interstate and highways out of the larger cities...But that is probably just my carrier.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Modder at heart

Im running an HTC One S and I am still 110% happy with it. My coworkers got the m8 and loves it. I had 2 htc phones before my one S. The m8 is my next one once my plan is up. They know how to make a phone. Cant go wrong, do it and dont look back.

Danny
Danny D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Imo you've got 2 choices, LG G3 or Oneplus One the one is a wicked price and wicked specs, the G3 is basically the same specs with a 4k screen, removable battery and has a SD card slot for a lot more money. You end an invite for the one but if you follow them on Facebook you can get them, they do big invite q I've aways, they gave out like 50k invites in the last week and I got one, spec wise it should be amazing, 2nd best phone an the market and it was about $390us shipped to Canada for the 64gb version and a case, I think the G3 is like a grand

Rcjunky's feedback
rcjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Wow, the oneplus one looks pretty good for the price. Wish you could get it at the store, though. If it were water resistant/proof then it would be a sure thing. I like how it has cyanogen on there.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

I have the M8 and while it is awesome, if pictures are important to you I'd avoid it. The pictures look okay on the phone itself, but pretty poor on anything larger.

I really wish they hadn't gone the route of awesome phone with gimmicky camera, it is really the only thing I don't like about this phone. If you've used an M7, I'd say its about the same deal, but perhaps worse because image stabilization has been removed. Shot-to-shot time is excellent, though it better be with only 4mp to push around.
RuleOfSines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
I'll shoot myself anyway

From a tech standpoint, the latest round of HTC phones are not problematic at all. The camera does have some cool features but, as others have said, they only really look cool when you are viewing them on your phone. The HTC phones use the term "ultra pixels" instead of Mega Pixels. Ultimately, the pictures from the 5 Ultra Pixel camera of the HTC M8 look better than a 5 Mega Pixel camera when enlarged, but not better than the 8 or 13MP cameras of other phones. The LG G3 probably has the best lens of all the phones other than Apple products, so the pictures on the LG phones do look better than other Android devices (except perhaps the Motorola). I currently have a Lumia which takes just OK pictures but the lack of a flash hurts it. I also have a Galaxy S4 which I would avoid at all costs. If I had to rank camera quality for phones in the current Sprint Lineup it would be:
1) Apple (6+, 6, 5s, 5c)
2) Motorola Moto X
3) LG G3
4) Samsung Note 3
5) Samsung S5/S5 Sport
6) HTC One (M8 and M8 HK edition)

Haven't had time to play with it yet, but you may want to check out the Sharp Aquos Crystal when it releases this Friday. Not as powerful as other Android devices, but the specs and features don't look half bad. The article linked really doesn't do the phone justice as from our training, I don't thing the author is being fair. Just wanted to share a link so you can see the phone.

Samsung is also releasing the Galaxy Note 4 this Friday as well which has some decent features. IMO Samsung products are like Planet Eclipse markers... the first one you get is pretty nice when compared to other non-Samsung phones, but after that the additional features they cram into a new device each release really are not that much better than the previous version so it's better to wait until your contract/service agreement is up before upgrading to another Samsung device.
Get a taste of religion: lick a Baptist!
WebFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Old School

CCM Fan
not sure what 'rooting' is but this fits your specs.
Lead-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebFisher View Post
From a tech standpoint, the latest round of HTC phones are not problematic at all. The camera does have some cool features but, as others have said, they only really look cool when you are viewing them on your phone. The HTC phones use the term "ultra pixels" instead of Mega Pixels. Ultimately, the pictures from the 5 Ultra Pixel camera of the HTC M8 look better than a 5 Mega Pixel camera when enlarged, but not better than the 8 or 13MP cameras of other phones. The LG G3 probably has the best lens of all the phones other than Apple products, so the pictures on the LG phones do look better than other Android devices (except perhaps the Motorola). I currently have a Lumia which takes just OK pictures but the lack of a flash hurts it. I also have a Galaxy S4 which I would avoid at all costs. If I had to rank camera quality for phones in the current Sprint Lineup it would be:
1) Apple (6+, 6, 5s, 5c)
2) Motorola Moto X
3) LG G3
4) Samsung Note 3
5) Samsung S5/S5 Sport
6) HTC One (M8 and M8 HK edition)

Haven't had time to play with it yet, but you may want to check out the Sharp Aquos Crystal when it releases this Friday. Not as powerful as other Android devices, but the specs and features don't look half bad. The article linked really doesn't do the phone justice as from our training, I don't thing the author is being fair. Just wanted to share a link so you can see the phone.

Samsung is also releasing the Galaxy Note 4 this Friday as well which has some decent features. IMO Samsung products are like Planet Eclipse markers... the first one you get is pretty nice when compared to other non-Samsung phones, but after that the additional features they cram into a new device each release really are not that much better than the previous version so it's better to wait until your contract/service agreement is up before upgrading to another Samsung device.

Have you heard mostly good or bad about the note 4? I'm still using my galaxy s3 and am due for an upgrade, heavily considering the note 4. So far the one thing I've heard bad is that thing with the gap along the edge of the screen, it would be a deal breaker for me since I work in dirty/dusty places, even with a case around it grit will get under the case.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

I've been a fan of the HTC one for a while now, my last phone the M7 was amazing but I switched carriers, so I had to upgrade, and I got the red M8, and LOVE it!

Amazing phone, has lots of "quick" features, that you need to figure out as you will accidentally access them if you don't know and be like... why did google just pop up... or my camera just turn on...

As you did the movement to activate them.

I think the camera is a strong point on the M8. Mine works amazingly well, fast response, great picture quality, and the HD video looks really good! Even on my 65 inch 4K tv...

Here are some pics I took last week in Destin so you can see for yourself. They are compressed as they are on photobucket... but, I think they look great. And these are all different lighting conditions, the sunrise is clearly worse case scenario... And the beach one should be blown out as it was so bright that day...

FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat