mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
lew
Fartrell Cluggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
If an entire generation is screwed up, look no further than the generation who raised them.
And our generation and those prior were nothing much to be proud of. Idiots abound.
But everyone is still right here waiting"

Feedback:https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...ml#post3004903
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Blegh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson677 View Post

And honestly, dumb older people are the worst. You know they're done listening and learning.
This is very true. I once knew a guy, at least in his 60s, try and tell me that our sun was not a star, because our sun makes its own light and that stars just reflect light, like the moon. I corrected him, but he wouldn't take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
ooh look at that over there!!! Jeremy Salm riding a giant rainbow-coloured unicorn!!
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmoormaster View Post
This is very true. I once knew a guy, at least in his 60s, try and tell me that our sun was not a star, because our sun makes its own light and that stars just reflect light, like the moon. I corrected him, but he wouldn't take it.
My brother had a teacher tell him that you could fly around o the surface of the sun without heat shielding because the hot molecules would be so far apart, that you'd never hit them.
It was an astronomy teacher to.

My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

here one more thing you have to take look at. look at our young kids that use register to ring up your order. you give them cash and see if they can give right change with out register telling how to give right amount back. majority can not do it. since they need register to tell them how much is due back.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Interesting tidbit: My son is in a "Charter School". He was urged to skip 7th and 8th grade arithmetic, and go directly into 9th grade Algebra and Geometry, as he is really advanced in math. He sort of struggled at first, getting a "B-" where he's usually used to getting an "A+".
After the first semester, they held parent/teacher conferences. I met with his math teacher, who holds dual Master's, one in childhood education, the other in mathematics.

I explained to him that I always had difficulty with mathematics, as I found the flaw in mathematics at an early age. He asked me "Flaw?"
I replied "Yes, flaw. The way I learned, for example '0X3=0'. You have 0, and it multiplies 3 times, you still have 0. But, '3X0=... " and he says "3".

Then I said to him, "Now try to do all your arithmetic following this theory."
He stopped me, took out a pencil and wrote out the equation, and said "No, it's 0."
I said "Are you sure? You have three oranges, they multiply zero times, you still have three oranges, right?"

He says "Yes..........but wait a minute.............".

I apologized for ruining his life with this.

He continued to work at the equation on the paper with a puzzled look on his face as I left.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

it's 0
Old 01-13-2015, 11:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Voted most ball-fondliest

Zero isn't a number, its a lack of number thereof. Like a black hole. You have three oranges, you multiply them into the black hole, now you have zero oranges.

Edit: But I agree every generation is a grab bag, we just think we're dumber because nobody bothers to remember the dunces of yesteryear.

How about a "lost faith in humanity in general" theme? Like for instance, I stopped in a small-town Walmart to get a bag of ice once. On my way to the cashier, I pass by an employee being reprimanded by their manager. Manager has just laid out the consequences for said action, and in a terribly misguided attempt to soften the blow, suggests "Don't think of it as a punishment - think of it as a reward! I don't know how, but just do."

Bravo. Clap. Clap.
Stuff for sale: Anti-rollout fingers
My feedback: MCB / eBay

Last edited by freedummy; 01-13-2015 at 11:49 PM.
freedummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
blah

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
RTP Fan
You could think of it as having no instances of three units...

... Or three instances of zero units.

Last edited by WilD; 01-13-2015 at 11:43 PM.
WilD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:08 AM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

No, the number "3" represents "3" of something.
Even if the "0" [I]was[I] a "Black Hole", and those "3-somethings" were to enter said "Black Hole", they would still exist.

Matter of any type cannot be destroyed.

There still would remain "3-somethings".

You all follow a rule of mathematics for the sake of all other equations to "work", when in reality, it doesn't.

Fools.

I have achieved "Total Conciseness" through the use of vast amounts of hallucinogenics and alcohol.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:24 AM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
The real problem with the current generation is that they are too reliant on technology. Sure I'm typing this up on a tablet right now but thats besides the point. I went to school when computers in classrooms were a novel idea and were lucky if there were more than 3 in a single classroom. We did math w/out calculators, wrote out actual essays using pen and paper. We didn't have wikipedia we had encyclopedias and used thesauruses and dictionaries. This generation has things way to easy for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat