mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:14 AM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntninja View Post
The real problem with the current generation is that they are too reliant on technology.
I'm 34 and this is true. My dad just knows fractional inch to decimal conversions, and what tap drill size. I don't because it's far easier for me to just verbally ask "Ok google, what's 19/64 in decimal?" or "Ok google, what size drill for 1/8-27 NPT?" Tech is far too powerful and beguiling because its just as easy to get the answer for how many Euros is $152.34, and how many black rhinos exist in the wild. We come to rely on it purely because it's just so damn EASY.

Now I have a kid, and am feeling the weight of responsibility. I need to teach him to do longhand math. ****, do I even remember how?! So I started doing long division and multiplication for my designs instead of letting Solidworks do the conversion. My wife, the history major, has cracked open her old algebra book and started doing it all again. We've gotten so used to calculators that it's harder than it was in grade school!

But I'm starting to realize something, and I'm sharing it with everyone who'll listen: it's actually faster to do the simple things in your head than on paper or even with a calculator. And once you've started down that path, you can estimate the things you can't totally do in your head, so you know when you've put garbage into the calculator based on the answer!

Long story short, we need to give youngsters a reason to learn, to get away from the digital crutch. It's very convenient, but it's the very definition of unreliable, and they need to see that. If we don't show them, who will?

(This minor rant brought to you by Sailor Jerry's rum, with apologies for incomprehensibility.)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Armory | Feedback | World of Tanks
delta5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:13 AM   #22 (permalink)
Underdog? I got your back

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislognshot View Post
here one more thing you have to take look at. look at our young kids that use register to ring up your order. you give them cash and see if they can give right change with out register telling how to give right amount back. majority can not do it. since they need register to tell them how much is due back.
True story: I'm in ACE last week. I get rung up for $5.99 and give the cashier $6.00. SHE says "Oh here" takes a penny from the tray, throws it in the register and hands me a dollar back. I told her she had it the wrong way around and it took her a minute to think about it before she understood.

Look, we all make mistakes and the older I get the more I realize how little I know. The thing that gets to me is the work ethic. Everyone seems to have a sense of entitlement these days and good hard working people are harder and harder to come by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBull View Post
i think the phantom needle is in my arm for good now..
Feedback
RatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:18 AM   #23 (permalink)
Corpses Eaten: 0

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-SHOOTIST View Post
No, the number "3" represents "3" of something.
Even if the "0" [I]was[I] a "Black Hole", and those "3-somethings" were to enter said "Black Hole", they would still exist.

Matter of any type cannot be destroyed.

There still would remain "3-somethings".

You all follow a rule of mathematics for the sake of all other equations to "work", when in reality, it doesn't.

Fools.

I have achieved "Total Conciseness" through the use of vast amounts of hallucinogenics and alcohol.
No,sorry. You have 0 groups of 3 oranges. Or 3 groups of 0 oranges. The only answer that makes sense is 0.I'm sorry you cant wrap your head around that, but the flaw is in your the thinking, not math. You are one of those old people who refuses to learn that was mentioned earlier. Part of the problem, not the solution.

The day I tried to live
I wallowed in the blood and mud with All the other pigs
Singing One more time around
Might do it
One more time around
Might make it

Soundgarden
RIP Mr. Cornell. thank you.

My Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932

Last edited by Chappy; 01-14-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Chappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:26 AM   #24 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

Oh, waaaaah. "We're becoming tech dependant!" Neat. So have the previous generations. How are y'all enjoying them automobiles? How many prople still till the land with ox and plough? Electricity? Plumbing? Technology changes each and every generation, and it integrates. We as a culture use it as the resource it has become. Tell me, what good is knowing which drill size to use for a given tap when there are so many resources available? I am a machinist, and we have drill/tap and fraction conversion charts all over the place. My coworker has a trig table printed from the 50's. The younger generations simply integrate a new technology set, and the older generation always seems to feel left out. Nothing changes.

Last edited by Magoo; 01-14-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:40 AM   #25 (permalink)
Corpses Eaten: 0

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
Oh, waaaaah. "We're becoming tech dependant!" Neat. So have the previous generations. How are y'all enjoying them automobiles? How many prople still till the land with ox and plough? Electricity? Plumbing? Technology changes each and every generation, and it integrates. We as a culture use it as the resource it has become. Tell me, what good is knowing which drill size to use for a given tap when there are so many resources available? I am a machinist, and we have drill/tap and fraction conversion charts all over the place. My coworker has a trig table printed from the 50's. The younger generations simply integrate a new technology set, and the older generation always seems to feel left out. Nothing changes.
But when you refuse to learn the old ways, you are s.o.l. when you need them.
Who needs to read a map, right? I have GPS. Until I'm in the middle of nowhere and I have no signal.
Who needs to count change? The cash register does it for me. Until I make a mistake typing in numbers. Now I cant figure out how much to give back.
Tech is cool. So is your brain.

The day I tried to live
I wallowed in the blood and mud with All the other pigs
Singing One more time around
Might do it
One more time around
Might make it

Soundgarden
RIP Mr. Cornell. thank you.

My Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:41 AM   #26 (permalink)
Post Whore

When my ex wife was younger(late teens) she was told that Florida was an island and had to regulate the amount of people and vehicles that entered it so that it wouldn't sink. I had already married her when she laid this tidbit on me, otherwise I might have actually shunned her.
OPBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:44 AM   #27 (permalink)
Post Whore

I'm 33 and back in college. Yesterday a teacher asked us what we would consider acceptable as an amount of time for being late to class before the door was shut and I said 0 minutes. Everyone else said anything from 15-40 minutes. In my experience if you make a habit of walking into work 40 minutes late you won't have a job for long. My first time through college you could leave early if you had to go somewhere but you arrived on time and I can remember waiting with everyone in the hall before the teacher got there and if you were late the door was locked.

I don't even want to mention the ordeal of the teachers having to explain the cellphone ban. Is it too much to ask for you to turn your phone off for 1 or 2 hours? The answer apparently was "yes" as people threatened to go to the Dean over it. Once again my real world experience is that if you don't have the authority to make the rules it is your job to shut up and follow them. Pick your battles kids.
Agglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:48 AM   #28 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Magoo has a point that I was thinking about as I was coming in. My great grandfather bemoaned the fact that my grandfather did away with the grinding stone and sent grain to the co-op. He kept draft horses even after he bought a tractor because he could not believe you could depend on a tractor. My grandfather could not understand why my father purchased a John Deere 4020 with a cab and full hydraulics when the John Deere 60 worked just fine.
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:31 AM   #29 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

Chappy, I have never met a person who was incapable of adding change with a pencil and paper. I promise you'll get your accurate change, one way or another. If the electronic apocalypse happens, I'm sure cash registers not helping us add change will not be a major priority. Several people have not been able to read maps for every generation. I do not believe GPS's depend on location to receive data, given that they operate by satellite. Even then, most phones these days come with Google Maps or the equivalent. Those are full maps which work independent of signal. EVEN THEN, maps available to everybody are fairly recent development. I can't stand the "cash register" arguments, which I hear every time one of these "look how dumb the younger generation is" threads comes along. The cash register is a convenience. The credit card is a convenience. CASH is a convenience.

Things change. Should we make an effort to learn from the past? Sure. Should we also learn things as they advance? Yes. These sort of "generation x > generation y" threads are always so damn pretentious.

Last edited by Magoo; 01-14-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #30 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
When my ex wife was younger(late teens) she was told that Florida was an island and had to regulate the amount of people and vehicles that entered it so that it wouldn't sink. I had already married her when she laid this tidbit on me, otherwise I might have actually shunned her.
Sometimes we all have those lapses in logic that our mind cannot comprehend. When I was 17 in my first year of college I was sitting in a small honor level geography class and we were discussing volcanic islands and the slow formation of them. My mind starts to wander and it wanders to "non-volcanic" islands. I know I should know the answer and I know it should be obvious. For the life of me I cannot come up with an answer that satisfies me. So I raise my hand and ask:

"Ok, I understand volcanic islands are attached to the sea floor. Are all islands?"

The instructor, who was extremely gifted at what he did, held up his hand, turned around and started drawing on the board. He drew an island, unattached the the sea floor, complete with a couple palm trees. He then drew a stick figure on the back of the island with my name and an arrow pointing to it. He added the large outboard motor and some waves splashing off the island to show movement.

On the final exam was a "bonus" question: are all islands attached to the sea floor? I attempted to replicate his drawing in answer.
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat