mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Watching SeaQuest on Netflix...what the hell...

So back in the day I caught most of the first season of SeaQuest DSV when it aired. I enjoyed it, but I was a kid, what the hell did I know. Later seasons, didn't catch them for some reason. So I find it on Netflix and figure it's time for a nostalgic rewatch.

I watch the first season. Hell yeah, sci-fi eco-friendly submarine adventure. I can dig it. Everything scientific and logical, even the weirder episodes (though there was one weak one that was a long drawn out "safe sex" commercial). Not super high quality, but plenty entertaining.

I get to the second season...

What. The. Hell! It's a fricken train wreck. Plots just sort of go all over the place for no reason. Everyone suddenly has this weird tendency to figure things out at the exact same time in different places without talking to each other. They have a giant mech battle 220 years in the future (relatively speaking), and somehow they make it boring. How the hell do you mess up a giant mech battle?!? And logic gets thrown right out the window. In the sent to the future with boring mech battles episode the reason they can't go back to the past is because time is a mobius strip and the past doesn't exist if they can't save the future. And to have a future they need to make sure the last two humans on earth can be in the same room together with out freaking out.

Pretty sure in season one someone would have pointed out that humans are irrelevant to there being a future since we're destined to either die off or evolve into a new species anyways, the universe will still keep on plugging away regardless.

I'm a quarter of the way through the second season, and I'm not sure I can muscle through. But I hear the third season just goes completely off the rails, so I may just tough it out.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

I remember that show as you do...I'm going to stick with the memories. I had some of the action figures too.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
I'll shoot myself anyway

Yeah... after the first season, I think the writers took to basing their plots as their "recreational drugs" told them... Which is why it didn't last long.

Unlike Firefly, which was a victim of a VERY BAD decision by a network.
Get a taste of religion: lick a Baptist!
WebFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebFisher View Post
Yeah... after the first season, I think the writers took to basing their plots as their "recreational drugs" told them... Which is why it didn't last long.

Unlike Firefly, which was a victim of a VERY BAD decision by a network.
Don't bring up Firefly/Serenity, I am still butthurt about that show. I got an idea lets show everything out of order.....
blitz121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Underdog? I got your back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
Pretty sure in season one someone would have pointed out that humans are irrelevant to there being a future since we're destined to either die off or evolve into a new species anyways, the universe will still keep on plugging away regardless.
Ok well we are destined to die off, as everything does. Remember, we orbit a burning star on a planet with a weakening and shifting magnetic field. As every species does, we will evolve. My guess would be the pineal gland secreting more Melanin so that we can survive more solar radiation in the mean time but, there has never been an instance recorded in science where one species has turned into another and maybe that's where your logic fails much like Sea Quest did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBull View Post
i think the phantom needle is in my arm for good now..
Feedback
RatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebFisher View Post
I remember watching Seaquest when it first aired, and the disaster that was the 2nd season was the fault of the studio execs.

NBC wanted a younger, more "hip" crew, and trendy storylines. They fired much of the older actors, writers, and production crew.... etc. Then the show sucked after that.

I remember complaining about it on the usenet forum back in 94? lol..

There are many... many shows that suffered a similar fate- Where the parent network steps in to make "changes", and ruin the whole thing.

Millenium was one of my favorite shows in the 90s. But the studio stepped in to make changes.... and killed the show.

Space 1999 was another- Great first season, then the studio made changes, then it sucked. Same for Dark Angel.

TV science fiction is always tricky. The shows are too expensive, and the audience is too limited.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Evil Omen Techmaster

Reminds me of what they did with battlestar galactica.

Good original show, ok 80's show, bad new shows/movies.
Step 2: wait
---
No bunkers necessary, and your yard will look lovely!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehSpiff View Post
so i super durped and there was no oring on the top i dont know why i though there was lol

Now that i have said that on the internet it will never be forgotten X_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonweasel View Post
48 weeks.
Hang your head in shame, you missed it. It was magnificent.
10 hail Chads and caress the nearest paintball gun in penitence.
ogti9g9 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat