mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
(V) (o,,,o) (V) WOOP WOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
I heard they removed the bonus weight for walkers (though not confirmed). Could be why Wrecks had difficulties. If it was built to be a Medium class bot with a weight bonus, but ended up fighting in the Heavy class (which is the only class on-air), the design makes a little more sense. It wouldn't have been pushed around as easily by a Medium.
Technically Wrecks wasnt a walker I dont think. The design itself looked like a giant version of Gyrobot which is a very old(Early/Mid 90s.) fleaweight bot. Its a gyro that controls the 'walking' function by being turned and flexed inside the main body. The slow fashion of its steps makes me think it uses a similar system.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:29 AM   #22 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by martix_agent View Post
I'm under the impression that teams have a weight limits [...] I've also read that the "walking" robots are allowed to be heavier than the standard weight limit, in order to compensate the lack of mobility.
-I haven't had a chance to see the new version, but that's exactly what the old (2000-2001 Comedy Central) version had.

Each class had a weight limit- lightweight, middleweight, heavyweight and superheavyweight. And each class also had a bonus allowance for walking robots, under the assumption that the walking mechanism by itself was heavier than wheels, and that most walking 'bots were considerably slower and much less maneuverable than wheeled.

Which is why the infamous Son of Whyachi did so well in it's inaugural season- it was technically a walker, but used a "shuffler" mechanism that really wasn't all that much heavier than conventional wheels. That allowed the builders something like an additional hundred pounds of weight- SOW was a heavyweight, and should have been 220 lb.

But with the walker bonus, it was closer to 300-320lb. With a relatively lightweight 'walker' drive, and a sort of self-armoring design (the weapon IS the armor) the builders could pour all that extra weight into the hammers, weapon motor and batteries. (SOW had an overvolted Briggs & Stratton electric motor, putting out something like 24 Horsepower.)

Basically it was a superheavyweight competing in the heavyweight class. In later seasons, when they took away the weight bonuses (and/or reclassified what a "walker" was) it was somewhat less dominant.

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Speaking of BattleBots, I remember one question I had from back in the day- I'm not sure if I ever found an answer.

Is it- or *was* it- legal to have two or more complete robots?

Like the guy that had BioHazard. He had a couple bucks behind him- not a lot, but some- and he'd built several versions of Bio before settling on the winning system he had during the Comedy Central series.

Could have have had (assuming money and time, of course) two or even three complete BioHazards? And if one were too badly damaged to fix in time for the next round, have simply run BioHazard No.2?

I'm pretty sure it was legal to have enough *parts* to build a second 'bot- I don't recall there being any rules that specified some major component of the 'bot (shell, frame, chassis, etc.) could not be changed. But could you have an entire second 'bot, assembled, certified for your weight class, all charged up and ready to go?

If not an entire second 'bot, where's the cutoff? Could you have one totally complete except for the radio controller? Complete except for the radio receiver and the batteries? In the case of BioHazard, how about a complete chassis, with motors, drives, wheels and batteries, and they just have to swap over the lifting arm and receiver?

If you had an entire boxful of all the loose, unassembled parts to build a second 'bot, would it be legal to, instead of repairing damaged 'bot #1, assemble fresh 'bot #2 and just swap over the controller and batteries?

I'm kind of surprised I never saw anybody do that- admittedly most players were on a shoestring budget, and could barely afford to field the one 'bot (and more than a few competitors defaulted when they couldn't fix their robot before the next round.) And really, it seems like there should be *some* sort of rule along those lines- else some big-money team could roll in with a truckload of identical 'bots and win just because they had a fresh, fully intact, fully charged unit for each round.

But I know I'd do something like that if I could- a complete spare 'bot if I was allowed to, a fully assembled spare chassis if that's what was required, or a fully-stocked box-o-bot with enough parts to build an entire second one if necessary.

Doc.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
Speaking of BattleBots, I remember one question I had from back in the day- I'm not sure if I ever found an answer.

Is it- or *was* it- legal to have two or more complete robots?

Like the guy that had BioHazard. He had a couple bucks behind him- not a lot, but some- and he'd built several versions of Bio before settling on the winning system he had during the Comedy Central series.

Could have have had (assuming money and time, of course) two or even three complete BioHazards? And if one were too badly damaged to fix in time for the next round, have simply run BioHazard No.2?

I'm pretty sure it was legal to have enough *parts* to build a second 'bot- I don't recall there being any rules that specified some major component of the 'bot (shell, frame, chassis, etc.) could not be changed. But could you have an entire second 'bot, assembled, certified for your weight class, all charged up and ready to go?

If not an entire second 'bot, where's the cutoff? Could you have one totally complete except for the radio controller? Complete except for the radio receiver and the batteries? In the case of BioHazard, how about a complete chassis, with motors, drives, wheels and batteries, and they just have to swap over the lifting arm and receiver?

If you had an entire boxful of all the loose, unassembled parts to build a second 'bot, would it be legal to, instead of repairing damaged 'bot #1, assemble fresh 'bot #2 and just swap over the controller and batteries?

I'm kind of surprised I never saw anybody do that- admittedly most players were on a shoestring budget, and could barely afford to field the one 'bot (and more than a few competitors defaulted when they couldn't fix their robot before the next round.) And really, it seems like there should be *some* sort of rule along those lines- else some big-money team could roll in with a truckload of identical 'bots and win just because they had a fresh, fully intact, fully charged unit for each round.

But I know I'd do something like that if I could- a complete spare 'bot if I was allowed to, a fully assembled spare chassis if that's what was required, or a fully-stocked box-o-bot with enough parts to build an entire second one if necessary.

Doc.
yes since if you watch show on sunday. there was bot that had 2 smaller bots with flippers. yes you can have smaller bots. but in long run cause your lose since if both of your smaller bots get destroyed your opposing team will get more points for damage. i seen few show from uk and usa where team had 3 bots. where 2 where small and one was medium size
Old 06-25-2015, 10:11 PM   #25 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislognshot View Post
yes since if you watch show on sunday. there was bot that had 2 smaller bots with flippers. yes you can have smaller bots.
-That's not really what I meant. As far as I know, they always allowed "multibots"; more than one robot that competed as a single entry. But those were limited to the max entry weight- if you had one full size 'bot, and three minibots, the total weight had to add up to the limit for that class.

Few people tried that, because it took weight away from the primary 'bot/mother 'bot, and the minibots themselves could offer no real resistance. (Think of a 10-lb minibot wedge against Son of Whyachi's hammers. That's the very definition of "no contest". )

What I mean is, could you have an entire backup robot. Could the BioHazard guys have two, or even three complete, full-size, ready to compete BioHazards as backup. Could Team Nightmare have a second, complete Nightmare- #1 takes a bad hit in, say, Round 4 but wins, Team Nightmare then replaces it with fresh, readyto-go #2 in order to move on to Round 5.

Could a well-funded Team Whyachi have a truckload of six or eight complete, assembled, charged Sons of Whyachis, and simply switch in a fresh one at the start of each round. #1 wins but gets damaged, so they just put it back on the truck, and slide out #2. #2 wins but again gets damaged. Put #2 back on the truck, pull out #3. They're all identical, all the same weight, and all individually passed inspection for the event.

Doc.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

The incorporation of terrain would solve a lot of the shows problems. These barely mobile bots that only perform on pavement for example are a result of the fact that they play this game on a concrete slab.

Terrain would mean the robots would need to be truly mobile and be designed to handle a much greater diversity of challenges.

Basically I think the defense is greater than the offense and that makes it less interesting and allows less creativity in trying to find ways to disable bots.

But what do I know. I remember the show from when I was very young. It was pretty fun but always seemed silly. The most enjoyable part was thinking about what robot I would design.

I think the re introduction of this show is very timely and really it is a kind of show that if done correctly could be very very popular today. Robots are all the rage.

Doc: good question regarding second and third and fourth robots. Personally I think it makes a lot of sense, since to me the purpose of the show is to prove which design is most effective and destroying the other designs, not to see which design is easiest to service in X amount of time.

Having to repair or completely replace whole robots between fights with basically zero money is definitely a big challenge, regardless of whether or not entire backup robots are allowed.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:03 PM   #27 (permalink)
Major Power Factor

Brass and Wood Fan
That's why I liked Robot Wars; the robots had to do tasks other than just fight (obstacle course, games, etc).

Feedback
matteekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:15 PM   #28 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

different terrain? That could be intersting. I'd like to see the house weapons be more effective as well.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:52 PM   #29 (permalink)

For people into this show, I highly recommend watching Nathan Chan's series of interviews with the builders in the pits.
These are both more intelligent and more interesting than the content you see on the show, there's more inside baseball, and you get a better look at some of their workings.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnACo3zgI5k
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxy-l3lfmas
Part 3:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Oi9lSxw50

Quote:
Originally Posted by martix_agent View Post
I want to see "blend-o" make a return. That thing was a monster motor mounted on wheels. It ate up anything and everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKbE7ocZBHI
Also on the "Tested" channel, Hyneman gave an interesting oral history of Blendo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWhnHFPLbYA

Adam's account is interesting too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S04TQs1raUo
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:05 PM   #30 (permalink)
(V) (o,,,o) (V) WOOP WOOP

Anyone watch tonight? Looks like our own Ninja Paintball has a bot put together.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat