mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:16 PM   #41 (permalink)
MCB Member

I don't advertise trans status. I pass.
All documents say my gender.
But any back ground check/ job experience were before I transitioned, thus to use those employers, I out myself.

The hours were told to us as being paid.
Until the Monday after I did it. Then I got the "it's volunteer.... so not paid"

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2017, 06:48 PM   #42 (permalink)
PvN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyQuinn View Post
All documents say my gender.
But any back ground check/ job experience were before I transitioned, thus to use those employers, I out myself.

Until the Monday after I did it. Then I got the "it's volunteer.... so not paid"

If you were not informed until after accepting the position, I'd chat with hr. An informal complaint and go from there.

The outing yourself, ive hired and/or overseen hundreds of new hires, from white collar management to blue collar techs. Ive never seen nor heard of anyone making a decision based on that kinda of criteria. Hate to say it but think a bit of paranoia has set in. No large corporation is going to allow a mid level manager put them at risk over such a hot button topic.

You seem like you have a good head on your shoulders, just do your job, work hard, enjoy life.

Best of luck to you.
PvN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:57 PM   #43 (permalink)
MCB Member

It's not a risk in Michigan.
Its not paranoia when they outright say they don't wish to hire someone that is trans. It's legal. Quicken and Starbucks (last employer) have a specific anti discrimination rule.

But, I don't wanna argue. I get nothing out of it but being annoyed.

I do enjoy life. I just wanna make sure I'm compensated for time spent working.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #44 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
I'm pretty sure federal anti discrimination laws trump state laws. No employer may discriminate potential employment based on one's gender, current or past. If they are saying these things as to why they aren't hiring you, they are fools and could be sued for doing so. Employment is determined by work history and experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:29 PM   #45 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow5 View Post
Why should she have to go find a new job if the employer is pressing for something that may not be legal? It would be one thing if you just don't like your job, but if they are trying to coerce you at the risk of your livelihood...
Here's how and why to make it seem to the employer that you're about to quit over something that is unfair

First of all be polite and gracefully decline the BS when it's offered on a gilded platter

Then make it so they realize, "Maybe we have gone too far. We expect too much already from our employees, who have to put on makeup and iron their clothes and wait in traffic on the way over here. We pay them enough to survive and maybe have something in the bank, all to make them do the things the business needs in order for it to survive. Without this employee, who is valued more to us than what we pay them, our business is done."

A view on the contrary to this would be that this involuntary non-volunteer obligatory 4 hour thing is a test of the employee's loyalty and willingness to work off the clock. But then where does it end? How often are they going to test their employees like this? And then, to refuse, "who cares .. ? because the employer sees you as an expendable asset?" WTF leave them!! No one who deserves employees is allowed to hold a negative-esteem view of their own employee like that (my view, my opinion, I do work therefore don't push me or sweat me or the work goes bye-bye)

Employers don't do you a favor when they hire you. Hint: you are being sucked dry of your mental and physical resources to make some smarty-pants rich somewhere, so they can drink wine and have a great old time at the same time you're busting your balls metaphorically-speaking

So that's my reasoning

Last edited by Pittsburgh Stinkbugs; 09-16-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Pittsburgh Stinkbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:05 AM   #46 (permalink)
Post Whore

Read those agreements you are signing when you get hired. Ask for a few minutes to read them and look the over in private. Make sure to bring a staple remover and a small set of pliers. Very rarely does anyone verify that you've signed everything that they handed you, in most cases they don't even count the signed sheets you hand back to them.

If loud pipes save lives imagine what bright pink helmets could do.

my feedback https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
K_Obeastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:26 PM   #47 (permalink)
Legal Eagle

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyQuinn View Post
That's when I'd say well I was never informed of this before doing the work therefore I expect to be paid for those hours. Failure to do so may result in a complaint to the labor board concerning this matter.

Feedback +38/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
Click here to pay me via Paypal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat