mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:20 PM   #21 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Voltage doesn't kill it is current and DC current of ~ 0.2 A is potentially fatal,[/LIST]
YEESSS! most people don't realize this!

putting it in perspective...ur iphone needs 1.5amps (1500ma) - 2amps (2000ma) to charge!

a common camera flash...that whine u hear ..thats the 6-9v of battery..getting stepped up..to unleash. 240-300 volts!

hell a pencil line on a page can carry current...not alot....but check it out! draw a line...throw a meter on it..

hard to think a phone charger or a camera...have the potential ability to hurt ya..
but then again...im in the work of 13kv-138kv..
so if the current doesn't get ya..undoubtedly .the fire and flame will

Last edited by NYKNIGHT01; 10-04-2017 at 12:28 PM.
NYKNIGHT01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

Res is based upon resistivity of material times lentgth and divided by area. I guess im just gonna have to short out a 9v battery with some romex in lab class and see what happens haha. I know i accesently reversed the polarity of a car battery charger once and the battery went ka-blam-oh and it was very life threatning to say the least. I laugh now haha

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
LT72884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:46 PM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
Res is based upon resistivity of material times lentgth and divided by area. I guess im just gonna have to short out a 9v battery with some romex in lab class and see what happens haha. I know i accesently reversed the polarity of a car battery charger once and the battery went ka-blam-oh and it was very life threatning to say the least. I laugh now haha

Won't need Romex, we used to use 9VDC batteries or better yet lantern batteries and the spring out of a pen to make "resistive" lighters. On subs when O2 lvl gets close to 18% Zippos and butane lighters would not light so you couldn't light your cigarette. Short a battery terminals with a spring and wallah you have a lighter that will light your cigarette. While you theoretically could get approaching infinite current when doing this in reality you can not support current beyond the energy density of the source. 9VDC batteries are not very energy dense [why we like lantern batteries better for the lighter] so you might get enough heat to light one or two cigarettes before the battery runs out of energy.

WARNING - DO NOT short circuit Lithium Ion batteries this is very dangerous to do. Good Lithium Ion batteries will vent in case of short circuit so they shouldn't "explode" but I would not trust that. We are currently in the lab testing lithium ion battery failure characteristics [associated with our consumer electronics products] and while some of them not overly impressive when they fail; some of others are quite dangerous/scary how they fail.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List

Last edited by Grendel; 10-04-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:11 PM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

Grendel, where do you work/school that has this lab you speak of? I have a lipo for me airsoft gun but i never wanted to short it out haha. But now i do or at least a video would suffice haha. Just finiahed my test on mesh network analysis which is pretty nefty i might say haha

Old 10-04-2017, 02:32 PM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

I run a failure analysis lab for a major acoustics company. I've been in Electronic Failure Analysis since the mid 80s for the military [Navy] and several commercial concerns over the years.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:38 PM   #26 (permalink)
MCB Member

Nice. Thats awesome. I kinda like to know what people do.

I had a friend who is an ee and did some work for harmon kardan down jere in utah. I love harmon equipment.

Thanks.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:58 PM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
...I love harmon equipment.

Thanks...
They are the enemy

Old 10-04-2017, 03:19 PM   #28 (permalink)
MCB Member

Lol, haha. Yeah i figured as much.

As an engineering student, i try to look at it in a learning way. Yeah i may prefere x over y or ab over z, but what i appreciate the most is the brilient minds that went into designing and testing of it. Its a group effort for sure haha. Its when business tactics kick in that i dont like.

The question is, why do i want to buy another paintball gun when i have not even fixed my hammer 7 and last time i played was in june............

Old 10-04-2017, 03:38 PM   #29 (permalink)
WOOP WOOOOOOOOP

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYKNIGHT01 View Post
YEESSS! most people don't realize this!

putting it in perspective...ur iphone needs 1.5amps (1500ma) - 2amps (2000ma) to charge!

a common camera flash...that whine u hear ..thats the 6-9v of battery..getting stepped up..to unleash. 240-300 volts!

hell a pencil line on a page can carry current...not alot....but check it out! draw a line...throw a meter on it..

hard to think a phone charger or a camera...have the potential ability to hurt ya..
but then again...im in the work of 13kv-138kv..
so if the current doesn't get ya..undoubtedly .the fire and flame will
While this is true dont lose perspective here... GFCI's trup with a .5ma differential, im pretty sure... either way the .5 would have to make it to your heart, so you would have to grab with both hands or leg and hand... etc... not to mentuon the resistance from your body it will need a larger charge to get .5 to your heart. not tryi g to downplay the dangerous ways of electricity. I have been bit to many times to count now. Just saying dont be scared
iKNOWaFATman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:46 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

Yeah im learnin that charge is what pushes said current. Its the number of electrons all headed your way haha. Well unless there is some sort of resitor in the mix to drop that flow down. Its like being trampled by mice vs humans. 100 moce dont hurt to bad but 100 humans, that would suck haha

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat