mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Bigger Balls

Some things are cheaper when you invest up front; i.e. buy it for life for vs. replacing something so many times it costs more in the long run. Outer wear comes to mind; jackets of all types, sweaters, jeans, etc. That said, I find it necessary to go cheap on most items so that I can afford more important things in life, like tuition, emergency funds, retirement savings, insurance, etc. Life is bloody expensive in the US...
Old 10-23-2017, 12:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

TRUE THAT.

Also, "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

That said, the trick is to remember that expensive brands aren't necessarily indicative of quality.

Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
No gooder, rascal

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post

That said, the trick is to remember that expensive brands aren't necessarily indicative of quality.
Unless it's spelled carhartt. That stuff is great
Old 10-23-2017, 07:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

At the rate I rip, stain and just damage clothes cheaper is better for me. I love the quality and fit of the nice stuff but I am a hazard to myself. The combination of food, oil, paint and blood on my clothing pluss the holes that somehow get put into them limit my “nice” clothes slowly throughout the year.

Now on the other hand, my wife got a gift card to a nice clothing outlet and found the (in her words) the most amazingly comfortable pants she has ever worn for $150. Se said she will never buy another “cheap” pair of pants again.
paintzapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

Thankfully I have a work uniform, so all the burn holes and oil stains I would otherwise have on my own clothes are kept to a minimum... That being said, I still buy clothes at the thrift store. $55 for a shirt is crazy, no matter what quality it is.

I'll spend big money on footwear, though... that's worth the investment in my books.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback

My Collection
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
MagMan

I'm betting the Woolrich is significantly better than the Walmart version in every way except for price. If you are going to wear it all the time, then in my opinion it is worth the extra dough for the better shirt.

If you just want to wear flannel for 2 days in the Fall, then the Walmart version is probably better and I think it could be argued that you really shouldn't be buying either.
ScottyBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

I used to spend 30-50 bucks for lee dungarees at sears. When I went to Cabela's on black Friday, Cabela's brand jeans were somewhere in the realm of 14.99. so far they last about the same as the Lee's. Only think I hate is they aren't carpenter jeans so no side pockets, I don't use them much anymore but it was still a nice addition to have.
blitz121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBeans View Post
I'm betting the Woolrich is significantly better than the Walmart version in every way except for price. If you are going to wear it all the time, then in my opinion it is worth the extra dough for the better shirt.

If you just want to wear flannel for 2 days in the Fall, then the Walmart version is probably better and I think it could be argued that you really shouldn't be buying either.
The way I'm figuring it, since I live in south Texas, a good flannel shirt or two will be enough to keep me warm mostly all fall/winter season. We don't really get "cold" here... That's why I'm willing to drop the $55 on the shirt. Once again allowing that $30 would be preferable...

Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:39 AM   #19 (permalink)
MagMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
The way I'm figuring it, since I live in south Texas, a good flannel shirt or two will be enough to keep me warm mostly all fall/winter season. We don't really get "cold" here... That's why I'm willing to drop the $55 on the shirt. Once again allowing that $30 would be preferable...
Then it sounds like the Woolrich was probably the right move for you. Less money for the same quality is always preferable but sometimes things just aren't available for the prices we want. I'll bet that shirt will last you a long time and will feel great every time you're out in it.

I was just down visiting Austin last weekend and I could definitely see a decent flannel being perfect down there. Hot during the day but cooled off a lot at night. Beautiful area, too!
ScottyBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Wait until black friday. Flannels are always on sale for around $8 to $15, and I've liked the quality that I've had. Also remember that that $55 cost much less than that to make. Having purchased clothes for resale before, it is kind of mind numbing how cheap some clothing is.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat