mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:51 PM   #21 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
3 years ago I bought 4 shirts from walmart and 1 from sears. Thee walmart shirts are all trashed, shrunken and permanently wrinkled.. and in the bin. I still have the sears shirt.

i bought a canadian tire store brand bbq. it lasted me 3 years before the burners needed replacement and the igniter died. I have had a broil king for 6 years now with no replacements and EVERYTHING works perfectly.

If I am going to use something once or twice I will buy cheap knowing that it will do the job long enough to get the job done. If i use it regularly I buy quality. Not expensive or fancy, just quality.

and I don't buy it from walmart no matter what quality brand name is on it lol. they are walmart specific brand name items designed to be cheap. Not low cost, just cheap.
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

I think there are two ways to look at this.
1. You can do an economic calculation of price and hassle. If the hassle of getting new shirts isn't too high and the cost is low enough, buying the inferior product would be the best economic choice.
2. There is something nice about quality and permanence. It seems to have a positive psychological effect. When I have had a shirt or coat for years, and it still looks/works great, I have a positive relationship with that object. My family also seems to get attached to the object and kind of grieves when it finally needs retired. Kind of like the paintball gun that has been trustworthy and seen many battles. In this way, a simple economic calculation does not tell the whole story.

This is what I got at Costco, and it seemed to be a good buy quality/price.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n...nid=2941120011
Old 10-23-2017, 01:29 PM   #23 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I have no idea about shopping for clothes.

But Sunday was my 5 year (inside joke) shopping exercise. Went to Macy's and found this amazing section in the back.

High end brands, %80+ off all day long. I actually bought some nice looking clothes.

My fashion sense ends at: wife = "you are not wearing that".

The "high" end clothes do tend to fit much better than just cheap brands. The materials feel nice as well. Although the styles, most I hate, I don't need to buy jeans with holes in them... and... I'm getting agitated just thinking about that lol.

Whatever you do, prepare to spend some cash.
I mean you could buy 1 Star... but you know Graffiti will make your day so much better.
Spyder E-MR5 - for those huge scenario games
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
aka bromanderdudeguy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
PPS Fan
My opinion is that anything that you use every day, or that you have to touch regularly is worth spending to get quality. For me that means bed, clothes, knifes (kitchen and pocket), wallet, triggers, and shoes.

Clothes that fit properly and last a long time will just get more use than ones that don't.

MCB Feedback
Old PBN Feedback
hellion360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:22 PM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarchicArctic View Post
Unless it's spelled carhartt. That stuff is great
What he said. I used my grandpa's old carhartt for a couple of winters and it was the best jacket I've ever worn. I have a newer jacket of my own now as well as the bibs/overalls/whatever you want to call them, that are quilt lined. They last forever
Check Six Paintball Team
https://www.checksixpaintball.com/
https://www.youtube.com/user/DeathKlownGaming
DranDran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:36 PM   #26 (permalink)
Bigger Balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellion360 View Post
My opinion is that anything that you use every day, or that you have to touch regularly is worth spending to get quality. For me that means bed, clothes, knifes (kitchen and pocket), wallet, triggers, and shoes.
Triggers?

I actually prefer disposable, bargain priced knives and wallets for EDC specifically because they see so much abuse that cannot be survived by the most rugged of options. Same goes for many of my shoes and clothes for that matter. I agree with your sentiment, it just depends on the intended use.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:41 AM   #27 (permalink)
Plays on the cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siress View Post
it just depends on the intended use.
This.^

For me, it depends on what the item is & what I'm using it for. I like cheap/inexpensive knives for cutting random stuff, but for work boots I buy expensive ones- almost double what my boot allowance from work gives me. Light bulbs: I buy inexpensive. TVs: I buy expensive (I game a lot, gotta look nice). It all depends on the item.

Some stuff has a decent compromise. I like Northcrest flannel shirts. Not the thin ones, but more midweight. I have two I bought from Shopko on sale for $15 each about 10 years ago and still use them regularly (they're kinda ratty now, but still work). Good quality for the price.

The trick is finding what brands/lines are quality regardless of price. I buy Lee boot cut jeans from Fleet Farm. They're not cheapies, but they don't break the bank either. Fantastic jeans. Beats paying out the nose for Levi's. I also bought a pair of Lee carpenter pants from Fleet for just over the price of the boot cut jeans. Wore holes in those well within a year. I know which ones I'm sticking with.

Last edited by glaman5266; 10-24-2017 at 01:55 AM. Reason: addition
glaman5266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:44 AM   #28 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DranDran View Post
What he said. I used my grandpa's old carhartt for a couple of winters and it was the best jacket I've ever worn. I have a newer jacket of my own now as well as the bibs/overalls/whatever you want to call them, that are quilt lined. They last forever
Too true. I've been wearing the same Carhartt thermal-lined sweatshirt all winter for 5 years now, and it isn't even really showing wear yet. I get great wear out of the Dickies work shirts I wear every day too.

Some stuff is worth paying for. Good boots, good belts, and good beds are the top of my list.

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:42 AM   #29 (permalink)
Formerly lancecst

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siress View Post
I actually prefer disposable, bargain priced knives and wallets for EDC specifically because they see so much abuse that cannot be survived by the most rugged of options.
Iím with you on knives. Iím perfectly happy with my $15 Ganzo knives. I lose them to easily to spend $150+ on a Benchmade or other expensive brand.

FOR SALE
BLachance75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:50 PM   #30 (permalink)
Bow Chicka Honk Honk

Brand specific? No.
Quality matters? Absolutely.

Personally, I'd suggest looking at All American Clothing, and see what they've got, some of it is priced nicely. Other than that, check the tags, and if one of the ones you like says Made in USA, pick that one. Its our mentality of cutting corners on prices on everything we buy that is the prime reason our manufacturing is dying (thanks Walmart, for pushing all of our jobs overseas, yet you try to say "we care about our country", bull****)
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
- The New Colossus, Emma Lazarus

This is what the Statue of Liberty is supposed to mean. But what does she mean now? How have we strayed so far?

My feedback
Jahnman is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat