mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

Do you have a picture of what you're trying to recreate?

Watching the rain--and waiting for Heaven.

CyberNations
Duzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duzzy View Post
Do you have a picture of what you're trying to recreate?

Well, that's sort of a yes and no.

I have the part sitting in front of me. I can find no reference to it online at all, as a replacement part. The "spool" is there, but not the floating poppet, which would be an exploded view. Without the 'bucket working, I can't post it anyway.

It is the floating poppet part of a stock WDP reg. The little brass bit used (according to Dr Strangelove) a 003 O-ring that was somehow pressed into a space that is well smaller. In order for it to work properly at sealing against the piston, the sealing edge has to be curved a bit, not flat.

this is as close as I can get

Its the little brass part in the middle

This thread which I stole the picture from has more detailed pics of that part.

https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=5610817

Last edited by punkncat; 11-08-2017 at 09:32 PM.
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:34 PM   #23 (permalink)
Post Whore

^ As a side note, I pretty much have given up on this as anything but an ongoing boredom reducer. It would be kick *** to have an elegant solution, as I like the Ergo of the stock reg housing on this marker...but went with an adapter and aftermarket reg to solve it on a permanent level.

Really sucks to have such a great marker be held back by an oring that costs pennies.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:22 PM   #24 (permalink)
Bigger Balls

Huh. I worked on hundreds, maybe thousands, of those regulators and only ever had a handful of those o-rings need replacement.

Don't try to create something, though. It needs a precision sealing surface to have any chance of being consistent from shot-to-shot. In my experience, those regs were never good at that anyway so it may not matter much.

Tell you what, I'll send you a replacement assembly if you like. It's been in one I've used strictly as a gas-thru-grip for several years since I, too, like the ergo of it. PM me your address and I'll ship it tomorrow.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

Is it the shape you both like? The size? Or a combination of the two? If it's more the shape than the size, or if someone makes a very slim regulator, it might be possible to have someone 3D print a contoured sleeve for a different regulator.

Watching the rain--and waiting for Heaven.

CyberNations
Duzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:00 AM   #26 (permalink)
Post Whore

Thanks Siress, I shot you a PM.

As to the ergo, I just like the way it looks and feels, always have. I actually have attempted to contact a few 3d printing companies local to see if they could make a "bit to fit" and none of them seem interested in such a low key project.
My other option was to find a like, if smaller, o ring and that hunt nets ZERO on the local level...admittedly I probably am not going to the right places.

I thought I had gotten pretty wise on the issue after finding out from Strangelove the size for the ring..as I have LOADS of 003 from cocker 3ways around.
I found a bead in the craft drawer that is exactly the right size, and gives a surround for the ring to be pressed, as it were. I used a punch pin to push it into the recess in the brass part and got it seated several times. The issue that keeps coming up with that is it will invariably "purse" up on one side or the other and won't stay put.

My thoughts are that the original process used not only a specialized tooling, but also used a significant amount of heat on the ring or part in order to vulcanize it to shape and in place. Each attempt I have made with the silicone has resulted in either bad shape, or refusal to stay in place. It is quite frustrating.

Last edited by punkncat; 11-09-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:42 AM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
Still working on the mold idea. If this doesn't work this time I am off for a supplies trip. The only wax I have here is scented, or has oils in it.
The oils might work as mold release, if you are lucky.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:57 AM   #28 (permalink)
Douche Flautist

Silicone is much too soft, has poor abrasion resistance, and too much creep to make a reg seat. You would have better luck with a high durometers casting urethane.
der cockermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:20 AM   #29 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by der cockermeister View Post
Silicone is much too soft, has poor abrasion resistance, and too much creep to make a reg seat. You would have better luck with a high durometers casting urethane.
Thanks, yeah...I mean I am no engineering phenom by any means, but have always been pretty good at "rigging" things in a way to work. I keep having failure after failure with this, haven't even gotten to actually trying it in the reg yet. I was talking to my SPX buddy and he recommended against the urethane as possibly too hard, but certainly pneumatics is not a field he works in.

I found an item today (was told about item) called a D Lite piston. It was made of some manner of composite and seems the way to go from a fabrication standpoint. I have been trying to talk to a couple of local 3D print companies, so perhaps this will be something they are interested in. Making the seal alone was not.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:03 PM   #30 (permalink)
Bigger Balls

Urethanes don't fair well with some oils (synthetics primarily), and often have poor longevity. Have to make it perflurocarbon to be certain.

Tossed some extra o-rings in the envelope, Punkncat. dash sizes 001, 002, and 005; all out of 003 unfortunately.

EDIT: To answer your question, Duzzy, what I like about the ol' WDP regs is the length with a bottom outlet. It fits my phantom's strangely angled vert ASA just right. I've noted that CCI now makes a vert reg. that's much shorter; too short, I think, to act as a good foregrip. Most regulators either have a side outlet that's in the way of my hand or too close to the in-line ASA fitting since the phantom's vert ASA is angled toward it. If anyone has a better solution, I'd love to hear it (in-plane air route required).

Last edited by Siress; 11-09-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Siress is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat