mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Shaping silbond silicone

I have a little project I want to try, and wanted to know if anyone has any ideas on how a person could "shape" silbond?

I need to make a small cone.
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

make a small cone out of paper/3x5 card and fill. Can later be cut with a razor or box cutter. I used to make tail fins for blow gun darts this way.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Home of the lama

Brass and Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Not sure about sillboad silicone but if you use 100% silicone you can make a shape or mold using the following method.

Using a small or medium size bowl, fill with corn starch.....

Add silicone ( amount needed) to center of corn starch in bowl....
Add a few drops of food coloring ( any color) to the silicone......(this will start the curing process so act quickly)....
Wearing a pair of disposable gloves and use a popsicle stick or equivalent and mix mixture into the corn starch. Do this quickly as you only have approximately five minutes before curing take effect...
After throughly mixing with stick remove from bowl and kneed by hand until not sticky...
Shape as needed and within twenty minutes mixture will have fully cured and is now ready for use... could also use a mold to shape if you want....
In fact you can make a mold with this if needed...

The new sheriff in town.....
WALZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
make a small cone out of paper/3x5 card and fill. Can later be cut with a razor or box cutter. I used to make tail fins for blow gun darts this way.
Unfortunately what I have to make is SUPER small....I am attempting to build a reg seal. I tested this premise with a cocker reg seat, as they are large, and it worked well enough to consider doing if I can duplicate the process, but the width of this seal is about the size of a big pencil lead.

I used a battery "shelf pack" as the mold for the cocker seat BTW.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

WALZ, what does the starch do to the elasticity of the silicone? Is it tougher or more crumbly afterward?
Old 11-06-2017, 07:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
Unfortunately what I have to make is SUPER small....I am attempting to build a reg seal. I tested this premise with a cocker reg seat, as they are large, and it worked well enough to consider doing if I can duplicate the process, but the width of this seal is about the size of a big pencil lead.

I used a battery "shelf pack" as the mold for the cocker seat BTW.
Can you fill up a pencil sharpener you don't like (small, handheld one)? Break it open to remove the cone if necessary?

Watching the rain--and waiting for Heaven.

CyberNations
Duzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Home of the lama

Brass and Wood Fan
RTP Fan
It will be on the crumbly side but not much so....

You can omit the corn starch but it will be sticky to work with....

The food coloring is what makes it cure fast....

Try with just food coloring and some wax paper... or a mold sprayed with Pam olive oil...

Old 11-06-2017, 10:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Just got off the phone with a spx buddy of mine. He tells me that naphtha (lighter fluid) will allow you to work with silicone without it sticking to your hands, and thus creating the "ice cream peak" I have been dealing with. He says that it (the silbond) will harden to be just as good a seal as any buna or thermoplastic seal ever was and should work well. He was also discussing with me how to make a reusable mold so that this can be reproduced should the prototype work.

I might be right on the verge of solving a HUGE issue to Angel owners.

Going to try again tomorrow, as version 1 was a dismal failure on my own part.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Home of the lama

Brass and Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Might want to look up the MSDS (material safety data sheet) on naphtha before coating your hands with it....

Old 11-06-2017, 10:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Thrill Me!

Location: looking through the knotholes in granny's wooden leg

Wally lama is back!
Finally reconnected with civilization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I honestly can barely stand most of the mods here, and don't even get me started on the f***ing Canadian ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Asking for brass on MCB is like going to the grocery and saying "Looking for food, you guys have any"?
My Feedback

Stuff I want or need evenually
snaparen is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat