mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:54 AM   #11 (permalink)

Alright, sorta deviated from my original choices and came across a good deal on a Howa 1500, super happy with it so far!
Madvillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cobra Paintball Fanatic

PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madvillain View Post
Alright, sorta deviated from my original choices and came across a good deal on a Howa 1500, super happy with it so far!
Gun pron please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cameron View Post
Anyone who thinks they can out-birddog a birdog, regardless of weather conditions, is just stupid.
My Feedback
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
I hate to be "that guy" but they both kind of suck. Get a Ruger American rifle. I know it costs more and doesn't come with an optic but you also get a MUCH better gun for the money
I got some beef with my Ruger American. The magazine is the cheapest piece of flimsy plastic that ever called itself a magazine. Love my Thompson-Center magazines, hate the Ruger magazines. The stock that comes on them are also terrible. Going to upgrade to a Boyds whenever I get around to buying one. By contrast, the equivilent TC rifle has a nice stock, no plans to upgrade mine.
Howa's are great, so you made a good decision.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
Formerly lancecst

CCM Fan
I agree that the Ruger magazines are pretty cheap. I like my Ruger American Predator but the magazines aren't the best. I also had to file my stock a little so that the barrel was free floating.

I'm waiting to see one of the Magpul stocks for the Ruger when they finally come out. If they seem to be good and have metal contact points in them I'll probably get one to replace my Ruger stock. I have the Magpul stock on my 10-22 and really like it.

FOR SALE
BLachance75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Quote:
I hate to be "that guy" but they both kind of suck. Get a Ruger American rifle. I know it costs more and doesn't come with an optic but you also get a MUCH better gun for the money
Absolutely agree!
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellicose View Post
I got some beef with my Ruger American. The magazine is the cheapest piece of flimsy plastic that ever called itself a magazine. Love my Thompson-Center magazines, hate the Ruger magazines. The stock that comes on them are also terrible. Going to upgrade to a Boyds whenever I get around to buying one. By contrast, the equivilent TC rifle has a nice stock, no plans to upgrade mine.
Howa's are great, so you made a good decision.
I totally agree on the Ruger magazines being not only cheap but obscenely expensive. The stocks also aren't that great. BUT it's not like you're removing and dealing with the magazine on it's own with a hunting rifle, it usually stays in the gun and gets single loaded so that's not as much an issue. The stock is a bit of an issue but I think even though they are flimsy they are very servicable and there is a much better aftermarket for the Ruger.

Good choice on the Howa! They are an absolutely fantastic gun for the money. You'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

"What makes a VM so charming is that you can chop down small trees with it" - Jaan
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
I see dead people

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellicose View Post
Crossfire II and Diamonback. They are not bad, I just find target acquisition faster on my Nikon.
I would say for that line, the Nikon are better. The P-223 line (as opposed to the M-223) is supprisingly well made for the price/ cost.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
I totally agree on the Ruger magazines being not only cheap but obscenely expensive. The stocks also aren't that great. BUT it's not like you're removing and dealing with the magazine on it's own with a hunting rifle, it usually stays in the gun and gets single loaded so that's not as much an issue. The stock is a bit of an issue but I think even though they are flimsy they are very servicable and there is a much better aftermarket for the Ruger.

Good choice on the Howa! They are an absolutely fantastic gun for the money. You'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it.
I swap mags in the field while hunting or at the range for the most part, so it was a disappointment for me. I didn't magpul was going to make a stock, might hold off on that boyd. I love the magpul take down stock on my ruger 10-22.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Co-Owner NoDak Spud LLC

I'm a Mauser 98 guy, and generally build up my own.

The only factory bolt action rifles I ever buy are from CZ.

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html
Mike@NDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

Oh hell yeah. The CZ's are awesome rifles for they money. Like a custom Mauser as a fraction of the price. I've got one of the CZ Redhead over/under 28 gauge shotguns that looks and feels as good or better than higher end Berettas.

CZ handguns on the other hand, I have a few of those. They all shoot amazingly well but tend to break firing pins, trigger return springs, and lockwork springs at the worst times.

"What makes a VM so charming is that you can chop down small trees with it" - Jaan
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat