mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:23 AM   #21 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I'm far from an OT stalwart. I do think ESB was the best of that bunch. Not a huge prequel fan, but they weren't as terrible as most make them out to be. Fact is, they could make the perfect movie and still wouldn't be able to please everyone.

Nostalgia is a big part of it, and lets be real... Most of the OT love is nostalgia. They mostly sucked, and weren't well made, but they've become campy cult classics.

Any new movie is going to be met with the "But it's not muh OT!".

The only scene that I thought was a little hokie was already mentioned above so there's no need for me to rehash there.

TFA I was disappointed in it being a mirror image of ANH, basically a hard reboot, but I still enjoyed the movie. R1 I loved. It was the darker, grittier SW I've wanted for years. Though I was disappointed in the forced Vader scenes. I thought the movie deserved to stand on it's own without force users.

After last night, my top three are TLJ, R1, ESB. Though I need to see TLJ a few more times to soak more of it in to cement it in the #1 spot.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:38 PM   #22 (permalink)
Mar
Carter's wife's boyfriend

Brass and Wood Fan
haven't seen it but I guarantee I called 'the twist' about 30 minutes into TNH. Or I am wrong, which happens way more frequently.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:18 PM   #23 (permalink)
is my hero

PPS Fan
Without being too spoilerish, the scene with Kylo, Snoke, and Rey gave me chills and a feeling like I’ve never had in a movie before. Awesomeness that I wanted to continue.

Feedback thread: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #24 (permalink)

Sorry fullofpaint, Marvel makes them buttloads of money.

Atleast they haven't gone grimdark and full ham on religious symbolism, have they...?

MCB Feedback
YBBPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:40 PM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

Its just this terrible Disney trend of talking down to their audience, like they're afraid to give kids a scary moment.

Imagine if Obi-wan got stung in the leg by the training bot after saying he felt a great disturbance in the force or Leia saying "oh no he didn't!" to Han after he says I know. There's great moments in this film and recent Marvel movies that get dumb jokes thrown into serious moments for no reason than to lighten the dark mood.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:33 PM   #26 (permalink)

Not to be super sexist. The target audience is no longer the fans, the family or even kids*cough podracing cough*. I'm not sure if they went after the edgy teen demographics yet, since I haven't seen all the movies.

This movie was most likely targeted at millennial women. More women are entering the workforce and aren't having as many kids, so they have money to blow.

These millennial women grew up on Twilight. They want a mary sue that the rich/powerful guy will go crazy enough to kill for. They don't want to see anything philosophically deep or dark. They want a movie to agree with their views so they feel smart and good about themselves.

I wouldn't be surprised if they added another love interest to fight Kylo.

MCB Feedback
Old 12-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #27 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Spoiler Alert.

The force winds.
Spyder E-MR5 - for those huge scenario games
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:32 PM   #28 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBBPI View Post
Not to be super sexist....
Yeah, you failed a little at that. Sorry.

But fear not, the Rey/Kylo dynamic does NOT develop into a love story.

Neither does the Rey/Luke dynamic. Nor the Leia/Poe dynamic. Nor the Leia/Kylo dynamic. Nor the Vice Admiral Holdo/Poe dynamic. Nor the Leia/Holdo dynamic. Nor the Kylo/Hux dynamic. Nor the Kylo/Luke dynamic. Nor the Snoke/Rey dynamic. Nor the Snoke/Kylo dynamic. Nor the Finn/Phasma dynamic. Nor the Finn/Poe dynamic.

Damn, there was a lot of character interaction in this movie.

Spoiler warning...

The Finn/Rose dynamic did develop the hint of a love story, but Rose could be described as a literal fan girl in the movie (that's not much of a spoiler, she geeks out over meeting a main cast member in her first 2 minutes of screen time). But, Rose is awesome, with a back story and motivation and stuff, so all is good. Well, I have a bit of a geek crush on Rose right now, so I may be biased.

Really, gender is almost irrelevant to the story here, with the exception of parentage. No one is out to "rescue the girl" or "win the boy". They're saving their friends, or fighting for a cause.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:01 PM   #29 (permalink)

The one interaction they were missing was Leia, Han, and Luke together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
Rose could be described as a literal fan girl in the movie (that's not much of a spoiler, she geeks out over meeting a main cast member in her first 2 minutes of screen time).
Fun fact Tran has never seen a Star Wars Movie before being cast as Rose. Everyone I know preferred her hot sister.
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I could argue my sister would have been a better cast.

MCB Feedback
Old 12-15-2017, 07:41 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBBPI View Post
The one interaction they were missing was Leia, Han, and Luke together.
Well, that would be impossible.

Interestingly enough, there wasn't much 3 way character dynamics. Trying not to be spoilerly, but the few times 3 named characters were interacting it was more of a one character acting as a bridge between two others. Sort of a 1 <= 2 => 3, with 1 interacting with 2, and 3 interacting with 2, but 1 and 3 barely interacting. Whatever, that's for further fanboy nitpicking after a few rewatches.

Quote:
Fun fact Tran has never seen a Star Wars Movie before being cast as Rose. Everyone I know preferred her hot sister.
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I could argue my sister would have been a better cast.
Kelly Marie Tran doesn't have any sisters who act.

Or are you confusing the actor with the role? The character Rose does have a sister in the movie, named Paige (had to look it up, I don't remember if she was ever mentioned by name in the film). Anywho, she's played by Veronica Ngo, who yes, is hot. But between the two characters, Rose and Paige, I got to go withe Rose. Maybe not as "hot", but more adorkable, that's more my style.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat