mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 01-01-2018, 05:24 AM   #21 (permalink)
Inline Mechs

The 3.6L Pentastar V6 has been trouble free for my brothers' JK Wranglers which are at 44k and 69k miles...so results may vary.
And it's definitely better than the oil-guzzling 3.8L minivan V6 found in the '07-11 JK.

The main case for a Wrangler is if you have an adventurous and outdoorsy family. Although a CRV could be fun...if you're blindfolded.
Walking Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:13 AM   #22 (permalink)

I looked at JKs before opting for my first Tacoma. They really are a nice fun vehicle and CAN offer unmatched ability off road. I have a few friends my wife and I go off roading with that are die hard jeep guys (mostly 4dr jks one TJ). And Iím continually amazed at what they get there Jeepís into and out off.

But they also have many many thousands of $$$$$$ more into them than I have into the Tacoma and toys. And at the end of the day there left with a something less comfy less reliable even worse on fuel and that canít tow nearly as much. Both Tacomaís and jeeps have equally great resale value.

So the big thing for me is the Jeep is just over priced.

New rubiconís specked decently for year round use and serius off roading run mid $50k Cdn here.

My 4dr 4x4 Tacoma cost $34k (not as capable as the Jeep off road)
My 15í trailer was $3000
My wifeís 4x4 ATV was $6500 (very capable little machine but unlike a Jeep thereís no weather protection)
And my bike I got for $3500 with about $1000 into upgrading it. (Again very capable but canít do the water crossings the jeeps do)
All for $45000 even opting for two atvs witch the truck can tow and the trailer fits itís still a cheaper option than the jeeps. That being said The new Tacomaís are more $$$ these days than my 2015 was. Speced like mine they start at $40,000Cdn
Old 01-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
Veteran

CCM Fan
i would love to own a Jeep the JL 4 Doors looks real nice but i dont want to dump $$$ into repairs and other stuff just to keep it running esp if they're selling at $35K and up. So i guess my choices are now Forester and Tacoma with a crv being my back up. Sidenote: how good/bad are Ford F150?
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Jello78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:39 PM   #24 (permalink)
Bow Chicka Honk Honk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello78 View Post
i would love to own a Jeep the JL 4 Doors looks real nice but i dont want to dump $$$ into repairs and other stuff just to keep it running esp if they're selling at $35K and up. So i guess my choices are now Forester and Tacoma with a crv being my back up. Sidenote: how good/bad are Ford F150?
They sell very well for a reason. Engines/transmissions from Ford are good. F150s ride a little rougher than Silverados, where the Silverado rides more like a car than most trucks. The 5.4L is more of a gas hog than the Chevy 5.3L, but i know guys with that new 2.7L Ecoboost that love them and get good mileage, i just wouldnt tow often with it because imo, that would be too much strain on the V6 where the V8 isnt working as hard. Im a Silverado fan myself, but im not going to lie, Ford bodies dont rust out nearly as fast as Silverado bodies, and both Ford and Chevy dont rust out as fast as Ram.
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
- The New Colossus, Emma Lazarus

This is what the Statue of Liberty is supposed to mean. But what does she mean now? How have we strayed so far?

My feedback
Jahnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:40 PM   #25 (permalink)

I have had 5 Ford pickups prior to the Toyota. 3 Rangers 1996-2008, 1 F250 Diesel 1994,and one F150 2011 ecoboost. So safe to say I like my ford trucks.

That being said I found the F150 to be a tad on the large side for day to day living especially when traveling to bigger cities wear I could not use underground parking. But it had more power Thani could ask for and got phenomenal fuel mileage if driven Nicky on longer drive. For short local run around it was just as thirsty as most other full size rigs. It’s cumbersome size, costly insurance and lack of a smaller option is what led me to my Toyota purchases.

I am waiting for some one to give me a mid sized truck with a hybrid drive train that can net me a realistic 20+mpg city and tow at least 5000lbs without too much strain.

Until then I happily cruising around in the appropriately sized Tacoma that is perfect for my use in every way except the 4.0l V6 drinks a bit more fuel than I’d like. I really liked my 4cyl Tacoma but ended up needing the 4 doors and the auto trans (left leg injuries make driving stick a PAINFULL endeavour these days . Besides the V6 pulls much easier than the 4cyl ever could.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:52 PM   #26 (permalink)
Bow Chicka Honk Honk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyBear View Post
I have had 5 Ford pickups prior to the Toyota. 3 Rangers 1996-2008, 1 F250 Diesel 1994,and one F150 2011 ecoboost. So safe to say I like my ford trucks.

That being said I found the F150 to be a tad on the large side for day to day living especially when traveling to bigger cities wear I could not use underground parking. But it had more power Thani could ask for and got phenomenal fuel mileage if driven Nicky on longer drive. For short local run around it was just as thirsty as most other full size rigs. Itís cumbersome size, costly insurance and lack of a smaller option is what led me to my Toyota purchases.

I am waiting for some one to give me a mid sized truck with a hybrid drive train that can net me a realistic 20+mpg city and tow at least 5000lbs without too much strain.

Until then I happily cruising around in the appropriately sized Tacoma that is perfect for my use in every way except the 4.0l V6 drinks a bit more fuel than Iíd like. I really liked my 4cyl Tacoma but ended up needing the 4 doors and the auto trans (left leg injuries make driving stick a PAINFULL endeavour these days . Besides the V6 pulls much easier than the 4cyl ever could.
A fair point, but thats why you dont get a crew cab. I wanted a standard cab short bed, because i dont need an 8 foot bed, and i dont get asked for rides if i can only haul 2 extra people. I have taken it to the city, and to the bars on main street where parking is always on the road, and i have no problems parallel parking it, its a tad wider, but its very maneuverable. And this truck has the 5.3L and the stiffer 3.42 gearing, rated to tow 9000lbs, and i still net 21mpg consistently, you could sacrifice towing and get the 3.08 gears for even better mileage, or you could get the 4.3L and pull around 25mpg.
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
- The New Colossus, Emma Lazarus

This is what the Statue of Liberty is supposed to mean. But what does she mean now? How have we strayed so far?

My feedback
Jahnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:58 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahnman View Post
A fair point, but thats why you dont get a crew cab. I wanted a standard cab short bed, because i dont need an 8 foot bed, and i dont get asked for rides if i can only haul 2 extra people. I have taken it to the city, and to the bars on main street where parking is always on the road, and i have no problems parallel parking it, its a tad wider, but its very maneuverable. And this truck has the 5.3L and the stiffer 3.42 gearing, rated to tow 9000lbs, and i still net 21mpg consistently, you could sacrifice towing and get the 3.08 gears for even better mileage, or you could get the 4.3L and pull around 25mpg.

Your truck would not suffice for my family use. With my wife myself and our daughter a quad cab pickup is the only option for me as I do USE my truck but still need to use it as my family hauler sometimes. And my quad cab Tacoma sit lower fits underground parking is easy to parallel park when needed and still has more ground clearance than my buddies lifted reg cab 2014 f150 (his exhaust scrapes going down the trail to our off road camp my truck clears). Itís also a lot narrower so I donít scrap on tree branches as much as he does.

One size does not fit all.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:12 PM   #28 (permalink)
Post Whore

I have a Jeep JK and the fuel economy does suck you can clearly see the fuel gauge drop by the second but it's a fun vehicle for sure. The only thing I've ever had go wrong with it is the climate control ****ed up and I couldn't adjust it over to heat. That was fine for the summer but became an issue and was a fairly big job to correct. My mechanic told me it's a stupid Jeep thing but he has a hate on for Jeeps for some reason. No joke though the fuel thing is a massive issue these are not commuting vehicles and I'd even go so far to say that they aren't even really practical as a primary vehicle. Also they do ride like Jeeps and will bounce and have a bit of a roll on every speed bump and pot hole it's fine on trails and rougher roads but not everyone appreciates that as part of their daily drive.

If you're looking at smaller trucks I recently picked up a Nissan Frontier and I'm really liking it. Everyone forgets that Nissan still makes a truck but it's a solid vehicle and a good deal cheaper than the Tacoma. The only real knock against them is they are very low on frills and a bit dated.
Agglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:18 PM   #29 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

I haven't worked on a brand new Ford truck, but the problem I've found with older models is that, while they're as reliable as any other American brand, they're a bitch and a half to work on. They're the kind of putting things in goofy spots and the parts seemed to cost more than comparable GM versions.
Marauder_Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:16 AM   #30 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I've come to be a fan of GMC trucks.
I have a 2013 Yukon as the family taxi and general hauler, pulling a horse trailer.

I like the turning radius of GMC over Ford, and it's overall a nicer ride.

The Yukon has a 5.3l v8 and i get about 22 mpg highway.
About 94k miles on it, no issues, just normal maintenance stuff.
Spyder E-MR5 - for those huge scenario games
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat