mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:40 PM   #31 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

Yeah I don't know what it is, but for some reason GM LS engines are surprisingly efficient for their size. The most efficient vehicle I've ever owned is my current DD, an '02 Silverado 5.3L. I get high teens in city/combined and low 20's highway. My only complaint is that it's a bit of an oil eater.
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:36 PM   #32 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

I've got a Honda HR-V. We love it, bought it the week they were introduced in April 2015. (2016 model) Have already put 40,000+ miles on it and driven it all over the country. Gets 30+ miles per gallon (we have gotten 35mpg going to Chicago). Plenty of room to put all my paintball gear in the back, and a fully loaded model with leather, heated seats, 4X4 and navi is around $26,000 brand new after negotiating.

I like it a lot better than the CRV. The back seats go up or down depending on your need, and the ride is very good and it is feature rich for not much cash!
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:39 AM   #33 (permalink)
Veteran

CCM Fan
I'm really digging the Subaru Forester. Like that you can modify them and make them like a "Dad Wagon." lol You can make them pretty quick and have a lot of room. But are they safe?
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Jello78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:07 PM   #34 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I haven't been that impressed with my brothers Forester. It is an 06' that he bought from a little old lady with 59k on it. I have done rear wheel bearings, brakes, and starter. Now it sounds like it has a CV going on the left rear. Not even 70K on it yet.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:20 PM   #35 (permalink)
Bow Chicka Honk Honk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello78 View Post
I'm really digging the Subaru Forester. Like that you can modify them and make them like a "Dad Wagon." lol You can make them pretty quick and have a lot of room. But are they safe?
Did someone say sleeper wagon? Get you a 66-70 Impala wagon with a 396 or 454. THAT is a dad wagon lol
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
- The New Colossus, Emma Lazarus

This is what the Statue of Liberty is supposed to mean. But what does she mean now? How have we strayed so far?

My feedback
Jahnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:14 PM   #36 (permalink)
Inline Mechs

Wagons - Turbo Brick (Volvo), CTS-V or SRT8 Magnum!

Be sure to test drive a new Forester because those CVTs are an awful driving experience (noticeable if you enjoy driving).
Walking Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:21 PM   #37 (permalink)
Bow Chicka Honk Honk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Stick View Post
Wagons - Turbo Brick (Volvo), CTS-V or SRT8 Magnum!

Be sure to test drive a new Forester because those CVTs are an awful driving experience (noticeable if you enjoy driving).
Shhhh. Turbos are like steroids. Cant make the power on your own? Slap a turbo on it!

Also, come on, you cant tell me you wouldnt drive the piss out of a 60s muscle car turned wagon before youd drive any of those 3
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
- The New Colossus, Emma Lazarus

This is what the Statue of Liberty is supposed to mean. But what does she mean now? How have we strayed so far?

My feedback
Jahnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:02 AM   #38 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

What's wrong with the 3.6 pentastar? IMO, that's one of the very few things Chrysler actually got correct.
Originally Posted by Ryantuomi View Post
I always close both my eyes and use the force.
1996XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:55 PM   #39 (permalink)
Veteran

CCM Fan
are jeeps really that bad? in terms of reliability and driving experience?
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Jello78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #40 (permalink)
Inline Mechs

No, a Prius is a worse driving experience than a Wrangler. Mopars overall generally have a bad rep for reliability. I'd say their recent transmissions have definitely had teething problems (Cherokee 9-speed programming, operator stupidty with the joystick shifter in the Charger/300/Grand Cherokee). I know several families with the Cherokee who are very satisfied with it. Fuelly shows only 22mpg real world average but its actually competent offroad (not a rock crawler though).

In the 8 years I've had my Challenger R/T there were two major recalls (engine timing chain and Takata airbags) that were taken care of and a total down time of less than 24 hours. I had a bad wheel speed sensor and two electrical issues (taillights and door latch) that were promptly fixed. I can drive it four seasons and hit the race track - I'm happy with it.

My two brothers each have 2012 4-door Wranglers. One was involved in the early 3.6 Pentastar recall for heads and one had some leakage from the Freedom top panels - all fixed under warranty. They were fine at highway speeds and no other significant issues during or after the warranty period. Unless you count having to winch or snatch strap through blue trail obstacles which necessitated "having" to upgrade tires, lift and diffs to then tackle black trails.

Everybody's experience and expectations are different so take opinions with a grain of salt. Driving is fun for me so it's more than just an appliance. I like Mopars, Minis, Mazdas and wagons but dislike Subarus, Nissans, Fords and uninspiring economy cars. To each their own.
Walking Stick is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat