mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran

CCM Fan
Car Help

Hey guys,
so i have a 2009 Honda CRV and its got 132,XXX miles on it. With that being said I'm trying to plan ahead and start saving in the future (year(s)) for a new car (certified pre owned). I do most of the driving between my gf and I and put about 15,XXX miles on per year. I'm 6'1'' and around 220lbs. I obviously go paint balling about 6 times a year or so and my girl friend and I are looking to get serious in the near future. This is my second CRV. I had a '99 CRV before giving it to my uncle who was in need of a car...and traded my Z for my pre owned '09 CRV which I have currently. My plan is to keep my CRV till 200,XXX miles or unless the car gives me expensive car repair bills then its worth. I've been looking at some cars and need some help / advice. Here's what I have been looking at and all pre owned or certified pre owned.

Honda CRV 5th Generation Ex Model
Subaru Forester 2.0 XT Touring
Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport (Short Bed?)
Jeep Wranger 4 Door (JL Generation)

Can you tell me what potential problems i should look for in each car? i dont know much about any of the newer cars since i hold onto my car for 10+/- years. anyone who owns these car please any input would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Jello78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Psycho with a wrench

Toyota and subaru are your best bets subaru's are know for head gaskets. But they ve improved each gen. Jeeps are gas guzzlers (worse so then the rest of your list) they are known for tranny issues also. And the quality has been slipping. CRV 'S are the most econominal option with least maintenance costs. There off road capabilites are less then par. but they will work if your doin light off roadin. And I mean light. The crvs haldex system is not a true awd or 4x4 system. And has lag when engagING when going into awd. Which makes it useless on semi icy roads (I have a Honda element right now, same system as crv)

I don't own any of these right now. But I've spent enough years repairing them all. Your list is a good one for potential options however. Just my 2 cents
Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mr. Hoity Toity

After driving 3 Tundras, 2 Camrys and a Tacoma I am a big fan of Toyotas. Aside from the one that took out a telephone pole and ended up in a house with no injuries to the 17 year olds that were in my car, all of them are still on the road with 200,000+ miles with no problems. My 05 Camry has not broke 200k yet but my 02 was at 373k when it was wrecked.

TLDR / buy a Toyota
No one is judge/jury/executioner here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
I must have missed that memo

Feedback
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Inline Mechs

CR-V: efficient, practical and reliable commuting appliance - not much fun

Forester: HATE the noisy and laggy Subaru and Nissan CVTs (continuously variable transmission); my wife's Impreza was woefully disappointing in fuel efficiency (her non-turbo 4 averaged 23mpg while my V8 Challenger averaged 21mpg!?)

Taco: even though it's a Toyota it's a truck so don't expect any fuel efficiency; look to it's 4Runner brother (which are quite capable) for even more practicality with extra weight over the rear axle for winter

JL: Jeeps in general are notoriously unreliable but my brothers' JKUs (Unlimited are the 4 doors) bought new in 2012 have not been in the shop except for some recall work on heads from the then-new Pentastar V6; the Wranglers are so capable and quite fun; don't expect fuel efficiency better than 19mpg and be careful getting bit by the JEEP modification bug (Just Empty Every Pocket); expect first year teething problems for the JL like the transmission problems for the 9-speed auto Cherokee
Walking Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello78 View Post
Jeep Wranger 4 Door (JL Generation)
You're not looking at a used JL unless you've got a time machine, the JL is the new generation coming out for MY2018, what you're looking at right now is the JK.

Anyways. I've never touched a CRV or a Forester but I've got lots of experience with the JK and the Taco, and honestly you can't go wrong with it. The Tacoma has no MAJOR recurring issues to speak of (That I've seen), and the only major JK issue was a bad head on some of the early (2011-2012) 3.6L V6 engines, but those should be all fixed under a recall.

I'm a Jeep fanboy so take that bias with a grain of salt but unless you have regular need of a truck do do truck-only things, I think the JK is the most entertaining choice of those 4 vehicles. There are few things more fun than booting around in an open Jeep, but unlike older models the JK Unlimited doesn't force you to give up any real utility for that privilege-I adore my '00 TJ but daily driving it was a monstrous pain in the ***. The JK drives like any other body-on-frame pickup or SUV on the road, but still gives you 100% of the classic Jeep experience.

The downside to the JK is that they are legitimately poor on gas, even for their class. They're better than they used to be but they're not winning any medals. And they hold resale exceptionally well, so you're not gonna get much of a deal buying one used-depending on what your budget is, you may even want to just wait until the JL comes out and either buy that or try and get a deal on an outgoing JK.

The other problem is that buying a Jeep becomes a hobby very easily if you let it. They're so easy to modify and parts are so plentiful that it's REAL easy to start dumping money into them-although Tacomas are almost as bad here too.
Marauder_Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran

CCM Fan
well the gf likes pickup trucks and I like the Taco but since I'm 6'1'', its a little tight for me. I like the Taco but if i drive, i wouldnt be able to drive anyone else esp behind me. My guest would have no room to sit behind me what so ever unless its a child. I wouldn't want to get a big pick up truck. I love my honda but i dont think i want to get another CRV. Was thinking about switching it up for next car. The gf and i were thinking something comparable to CRV. Safe,Reliable, High up, drive through snow conditions, decent to good on gas, last a long time. All i want in my next car is navigation which i dont have now in my current car. I would get the 4 Door jeep but i hear a lot of mixed things about their reliability, which scares me. I am interested in the Forester but I'm not too familiar with them. Testing the waters and trying to go outside my comfort zone for something different and maybe a little fun.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

How urgent is the need? The JL will be coming with a pickup version for MY2019, a 4-door Tacoma-sized truck called the Scrambler.

And I wouldn't worry too much about reliability on them. Yes, they will be slightly worse than the Tacoma over the span of 10 years or so but they aren't by any means unreliable-my TJ is definitely less reliable than the JK was, and the only thing that's failed of it's own accord (IE, not because I broke it offroading) was a windshield wiper motor, and while other Jeeps can be hit or miss on reliabilty the Wranglers have historically held up great mainly because there's so little to them and what there is is built to withstand abuse offroad.

Also, if you like the utility of the Taco but don't like the headroom, have you looked at the Nissan Frontier? You can get a better deal on them used, but the design is a little dated (They haven't had a real update in 12 years). But I found the cabin a lot more airy than the Tacoma's.
Marauder_Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran

CCM Fan
oh wow didn't know that. was definitely looking at the JL 4 door used, once I'm ready to start talking to the salesman. Im thinking within in the next 3-5 years to play it safe. depends how well my honda holds up and doesn't cost me a fortune to keep it running. i'll take a look at the Frontier but not crazy about them...
Old 12-31-2017, 06:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

Honda has switched to CVT's in their lineup, so keep that in mind... and avoid anything Chrysler with the 3.6 Pentastar V6.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback

My Collection
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Psycho with a wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
... and avoid anything Chrysler with the 3.6 Pentastar V6.
This man is a genius. he speaks truth!
Mech is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat