mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Giggity

Aquascaping.

I'm working on a small freshwater planted tank with a sandfall built into the background. I want a low maintence setup so there wont be any fish. Maybe a few shrimp for algae control. Just wondering if anyone has any advice or tips for building the background and cheapish lighting options.
lurchness monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mr. Hoity Toity

I thought you were the expert on this?
No one is judge/jury/executioner here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
I must have missed that memo

Feedback

Kinda Loves DPrekel
The Flounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Giggity

Trying something new. Never stop learning!
Old 04-04-2018, 09:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

I ran a salt water fish tank business for about 14 years doing maintenance and purchasing for big tanks that clients had.

Sounds like a cool idea, those sand waterfalls are amazing looking. I've never done one but, I'm tempted!

I really like the new LED lights that are typically mounted to an air stone type thing. I often don't use the air stone, but the lights are amazing and really add some cool lighting to your tank. I have a fresh water and salt water reef setup in my house. (fresh water is a 60 tall and reef is a 100 corner bowfront that is drilled with a full sump system and UV).

I also have a little round LED with airstone around it that we use in our fresh water tank. I also got the new style air pump which has no motor or baffles, and it literally silent. I can look it up if you want info on it.

My angel fish just dropped eggs today for the first time! So I am uploading pics to my facebook with the images of my fresh water tank.

glenn mehltretter
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Giggity

I have a fluval q2 air pump. Not silent but still very quiet. I have never built a background before. I'm getting my wife to help with it. She has a little (a lot) more artistic talent. If this works out well I have a 150 gallon tank to do. Good luck with your angels. I never had any luck getting my discus eggs to hatch. Hope you get some wrigglers.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurchness monster View Post
I'm working on a small freshwater planted tank with a sandfall built into the background. I want a low maintence setup so there wont be any fish. Maybe a few shrimp for algae control. Just wondering if anyone has any advice or tips for building the background and cheapish lighting options.
What size tank? What plants? High light plants or low light. If you are doing an aquascape, you will most likely need a co2 setup (and those aint cheap, but look up mods to use paintball tanks). I have three small tanks, a 10gal, and 2 3gal. I have shrimp in one of the 3gal tanks, and honestly, I like them more than fish. They are fun to watch and will help out with your algae that will grow if you have a lot of light. Go with neocaridinas like cherry's and their full color spectrum variants. Stay away from Crystals, tigers, and bees, as they are not as hardy as the neo family. Another good shrimp are amano's. A little larger, and they are plain gray, but do an excellent job with algae control.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Keep us posted on the progress, I've always wanted to make one and it would be cool to see how you do it! A 150 gallon with one would be amazing!

Here are some of the LED's I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Dxcel-Aquariu...ghts+air+stone

I also have one of these in both tanks. Blue LED in one and Blue/white LED in the other. I don't have air hooked up to either as I don't like that many bubbles.

https://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Aquari...m+lights+bends

Here is a sandfall from youtube in case other readers haven't heard of them. not mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5-uVIO5MJk

Last edited by FreeEnterprise; 04-04-2018 at 10:20 PM.
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Giggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellicose View Post
What size tank? What plants? High light plants or low light. If you are doing an aquascape, you will most likely need a co2 setup (and those aint cheap, but look up mods to use paintball tanks). I have three small tanks, a 10gal, and 2 3gal. I have shrimp in one of the 3gal tanks, and honestly, I like them more than fish. They are fun to watch and will help out with your algae that will grow if you have a lot of light. Go with neocaridinas like cherry's and their full color spectrum variants. Stay away from Crystals, tigers, and bees, as they are not as hardy as the neo family. Another good shrimp are amano's. A little larger, and they are plain gray, but do an excellent job with algae control.
I'm starting with a 10 gal. Low light plants. Thinking of going with a clamp on led light. I can always add a second light if need be. I found a co2 setup for about $40. Im trying to keep it under $100 not including a plants and livestock. Those amanos are algae eating machines.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
THE Green Modster

Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Good luck on the background. I've thought about trying one but only on the rare occasion that I forget I have no artistic ability at all.

For low light low maintenance my favorite plant is Anubias hands down. I have a couple verities of that and Java fern in my 55.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Someone ban that painthappy dude
Stock class = https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ml#post2063667

Master Jar Jar
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
blah

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
RTP Fan
Whenever I see something like this I think "YES! I should start a new tank build!". I kept a 20 gallon nano-reef for years. I need a reality check on all of the ongoing maintenance. I can usually reel myself back in when I really think about what it took to do the weekly salt water changes...
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat