mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 08-23-2018, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Previously blasdgag

WWI

I realized today that I don't know nearly enough about World War I. And I found this comical, yet informative video. Kinda a fun watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHSQAEam2yc

I'm curious if anyone here has any family stories from WWI? I had family in WWII, but not WWI (that I know of).
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass and Wood Fan
now go find the youtube channel 'the great war' and fall down their rabbit hole of weekly updates of what happened 100yrs ago in that war. They've been running that series since 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar

each episode is about 10-12mins long. and they have lots of bonus feature vids also. It is really fascinating stuff, and they do collaborations with other channels too.

like I said - a rabbit hole.
TANSTAAFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay
I agree with Don.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.
he doesn't like the salad . . . it reminds him of death
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Oh, It's him

Send a message via AIM to Brimmy

Fan of EMR
ill be checking that out....
Brimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Not exactly a WW1 story, but my great grandparents came over from Ireland in 1916, to escape war... etc. THe ship they came over in, was torpedoed and sunk on the way back.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mar
pwisan

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
Not exactly a WW1 story, but my great grandparents came over from Ireland in 1916, to escape war... etc. THe ship they came over in, was torpedoed and sunk on the way back.
that seems pretty WWI-ish... the time frame, the action... OH WAIT, you pansies hadn't jumped in the fray yet...
Mar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
that seems pretty WWI-ish... the time frame, the action... OH WAIT, you pansies hadn't jumped in the fray yet...
Officially, my relatives went to Toronto, because, you know, you can't just walk into America.

During the war, my GGrand Father worked as a mechanic for the Royal Air Corp. But... after the war, they crossed over.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Officially, my relatives went to Toronto, because, you know, you can't just walk into America.

During the war, my GGrand Father worked as a mechanic for the Royal Air Corp. But... after the war, they crossed over to the dark side.
fixed that for you
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mar
pwisan

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:

During the war, my GGrand Father worked as a mechanic for the Royal Air Corp. But... after the war, they crossed over.
That's awesome! I can just se our Air Corp. circa 1916: a McDowall monoplane and a pilot with a Webley revolver and britches full of
Mar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Some People Juggle Geese

I know we have some gun nuts around here so I thought I'd share this with you all.

I was lucky enough to be given my great-grandfathers service pistol from WW1. Its an original Colt model 1911. I also have his foot locker/chest from when he was training. He was given the option to purchase the gun when the war was over.

Now I was talking with a family friend about this gun and he brought up that he had his grandfathers old pistol and "some gun he brought back" so he just gave them to me. I threw some money his way because it wouldnt be fair. All he said is that they were rusty.

Canadian standard issue Smith and Wesson Triple Lock in .455 Webley (with name engraved in the wood grips) and a 1915 German artillery model Luger.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
I need this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
That's awesome! I can just se our Air Corp. circa 1916: a McDowall monoplane and a pilot with a Webley revolver and britches full of
Haha! Sounds like state of the art for the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurferdude2 View Post
I know we have some gun nuts around here so I thought I'd share this with you all.

I was lucky enough to be given my great-grandfathers service pistol from WW1. Its an original Colt model 1911. I also have his foot locker/chest from when he was training. He was given the option to purchase the gun when the war was over.

Now I was talking with a family friend about this gun and he brought up that he had his grandfathers old pistol and "some gun he brought back" so he just gave them to me. I threw some money his way because it wouldnt be fair. All he said is that they were rusty.
That's crazy. I wouldn't be ballsy enough to shoot them but those would look fantastic mounted up in a shadowbox of some sort.
I think the only thing I got from my great grandparents was a predilection for cancer. No WWI stories at all.

Always looking for a Woodland Camo F1 Illustrator. Got an extra?
Rusty Brass is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat