mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
blah

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
RTP Fan
We rescued a kitten that was infested. We washed him with dawn dish soap and manually removed all we could for his comfort. After that, a course of the drop on the neck stuff for all of the animals in the household seems to have worked as advertised. The fleas were gone and have not made a reappearance.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Formerly lancecst

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
We use Seresto collars on both our dogs and they work wonderfully. Both of them would get sick for a few days after either the Frontline (back of neck stuff), another brand of that we tried that I can't recall the name of, and two different edibles. The little brown square one about killed our smaller dog.
The vet downplays the effectiveness of the Seresto collar IMO because they don't sell them for anything near the reasonable price I can order it online.
We use Seresto on our dog as well and it is great. We were always forgetting to put the drops on every month. Having a collar that lasts 8 months is perfect. She hasn’t had a tick of fleas since we’ve been using Seresto and she is on her 4th collar.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
I also use Seresto now. My two cats ended up with a pretty nasty infestation when I was sporadically using the cheap between the shoulder stuff. The Vet recommended Frontline Gold. We tried that for a few months, slowed down the infestation, but didn't get rid of them completely, even combined with baths (oddly, one cat occasionally enjoys a bath, the other stereotypically hates it) and frequent combing. One cat doesn't have much natural skin oils and quite dry hair, and the drops need that oil to spread, so it wasn't working hardly at all with him.

Switched to a Seresto collars on both, and within a few days not a sign of fleas.

Plus the usual clean up, vacuumed like crazy, washed everything at a laundromat on hot (that could take it), sprayed everywhere, burned the furniture...

...ok, we might have gone a bit overboard on the last part, but I didn't like those couches anyways.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

I have not tried these remedies vs fleas but they are natural and are reported to repell/kill fleas:

neem oil
Diatomaceous Earth

neem oil is a super weapon against virtually all pathogens and can be used orally as a prophylactic for men. Seems whatever the oil does to the microbes also cuts down on our swimmers (effect is 100% reversible).

the DE is a mineral comprised of fossilized Diatoms. These ancient phytoplankton (still extant today) come encased in a shell of silica that resemble Chinese lanterns...with spikes. The microscopically abrasive shell cuts the soft membranes in between the armored shells of all arthropods (invertebrate, joint legged animals), including but not limited to: ants, fleas, ticks, GI parasites and aphids. The same white powder mineral dust can be taken orally for an intestinal parasites and applied to tomato plants for white flies.

The only downside to the DE is the dust factor--as with any fine particulate matter, watch out for the black lung (not a problem unless you are consistently/irresponsibly exposed).

Either would be cost effective and non-toxic for your kiddo.

As always, these natural alternatives are never as effective as the environmentally-immortal, hormonal-based lab synthesized petrochemicals.

I have used the DT and neem oil to successfully combat plant pests in my garden and my indoor plants. Dt's effect on cabbage moth worms is significantly noticeable.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum

Last edited by Legolas; 08-29-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
President Ragnastock

CCI Phantom Fan
Right on. So I procured some daily tablets. With a thorough vacuum of the house and combing three times a day. Tomorrow I’ll grab some DE, and I’ll slap a collar on him when the tablets are up

Last edited by AnarchicArctic; 08-28-2018 at 12:17 AM.
AnarchicArctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
I had mixed results with Diatomaceous Earth. I spread the stuff all over, and days later I was still vacuuming it up, and finding live fleas crawling around the vacuum canister.

But I was also at the time not having luck with the treatments on the cats (hadn't gotten the good collars yet). That's the key, you have to have success with both at the same time. You kill all of them in the carpet, and they jump off the animals and re-infest the carpet. You kill all of them on the animals, and they pick up more from the carpet.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
One Foot Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLachance75 View Post
We use Seresto on our dog as well and it is great. We were always forgetting to put the drops on every month. Having a collar that lasts 8 months is perfect. She hasn’t had a tick of fleas since we’ve been using Seresto and she is on her 4th collar.
Yeah, the biggest issue I had was remembering when to order them. Lucky the online retailer I use has an auto email feature that lets you know about items you set an alert for.

As to diatomaceous earth products....

I used to work for a company that sold a brand of it in several iterations for various application. What we sold was designed to be put in wall space during construction, in the attic space, in the crawl. It worked really well for that. The thing to keep in mind about it is that when you apply it places you can see, well...it's dirt. It's dust. It get's everywhere and looks bad. It is not something you would particularly want your pets to sniff at, although I can recall one of the reps would take and mix a spoonful into water and drink to show it's lack of toxicity.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:56 AM   #18 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKNOWaFATman View Post
Fless in the home arent much to worry about. Treat the cat, / other animals , the fleas will go away
Yep, they're not that bad once you start the treatment. I do recommend vacuuming daily for a week or so.

Also be aware that cats can get worms from the fleas so keep an eye on their bathroom habits for a bit.
JonnyDread is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

From some one who has worked in Veterinary field for over 20 years, I've dealt with a few fleas. Here's my favorite way to rid yourself of fleas

Products:

Capstar - Capstar starts killing ADULT fleas in minutes. Has a great efficacy rate and kills 99.9% of fleas withing hours. Lasts for 24 hours only, as it is shed from the body quickly

Trifexis/Comfortis (Cats) - 30 day flea treatment. Not as fast as Capstar but lasts 28 -30 days.

Soresto - Great for ticks, not so great for fleas. Big thing for this product is that it must be on for 24 hours before it starts working (poor diffusion rate) and it MUST TOUCH THE SKIN to be effective. If your cat or dog is furry, it's not going to work that great. That said, I wear a soresto collar as an anklet when back packing because it works so great. Obviously off label use, but it works. As in cats and dogs, it must be on 24 hours prior to me heading out, or ticks get on the first day.

Vaccuuming -- I can't urge you enough to vaccuum when fleas have been in your home. Fleas are like pepper shakers for eggs. They drop eggs continuously after a blood meal, and lay thousands of eggs. The eggs develope into larvae (awesome corrolation between CO2 exposure and hatch rate......) and the maggots love carpet. None of the products on the market are very effective at killing the eggs, as they are made to last through varying habitat changes. Vaccuming daily for 3 weeks usually will get the combination of eggs, larvae and young adults out of the way.

My suggestion is to treat with Capstar the first day, then on the second day give a Trifexis. Then Vaccum daily for 3 weeks. Most of the time, this will clear even and older colony/infestation.
msm0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
This is solid advice, I'll have to try the anklet thing.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat