mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:25 AM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

From some one who has worked in Veterinary field for over 20 years, I've dealt with a few fleas. Here's my favorite way to rid yourself of fleas

Products:

Capstar - Capstar starts killing ADULT fleas in minutes. Has a great efficacy rate and kills 99.9% of fleas withing hours. Lasts for 24 hours only, as it is shed from the body quickly

Trifexis/Comfortis (Cats) - 30 day flea treatment. Not as fast as Capstar but lasts 28 -30 days.

Soresto - Great for ticks, not so great for fleas. Big thing for this product is that it must be on for 24 hours before it starts working (poor diffusion rate) and it MUST TOUCH THE SKIN to be effective. If your cat or dog is furry, it's not going to work that great. That said, I wear a soresto collar as an anklet when back packing because it works so great. Obviously off label use, but it works. As in cats and dogs, it must be on 24 hours prior to me heading out, or ticks get on the first day.

Vaccuuming -- I can't urge you enough to vaccuum when fleas have been in your home. Fleas are like pepper shakers for eggs. They drop eggs continuously after a blood meal, and lay thousands of eggs. The eggs develope into larvae (awesome corrolation between CO2 exposure and hatch rate......) and the maggots love carpet. None of the products on the market are very effective at killing the eggs, as they are made to last through varying habitat changes. Vaccuming daily for 3 weeks usually will get the combination of eggs, larvae and young adults out of the way.

My suggestion is to treat with Capstar the first day, then on the second day give a Trifexis. Then Vaccum daily for 3 weeks. Most of the time, this will clear even and older colony/infestation.
msm0711 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
Coming for your booty

Kilt Club
This is solid advice, I'll have to try the anklet thing.
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
Formerly lancecst

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm0711 View Post
Soresto - That said, I wear a soresto collar as an anklet when back packing because it works so great. Obviously off label use, but it works. As in cats and dogs, it must be on 24 hours prior to me heading out, or ticks get on the first day.
That is a great idea. Do they have the same 8 month life span if you keep taking it on/off. I'm guessing you store it inside of the metal tin when not in use or do you bag it first? Does it matter if you buy the dog or cat version and do you buy one that will fit your ankle or do you buy the XL?

I may start implementing this as I go hiking weekly and in the spring/summer the ticks suck. I had 4 that were dug into me good this past summer. I already buy Seresto for my dog so I may order an extra one and use it for myself.

FOR SALE
BLachance75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:27 PM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

My rep usually gets me the largest size, and I do multiple raps around my ankle. Iput them in a zip lock bag and then back in the tin when I'm not using them. I generally use them for a year and then toss them, unless I realize I forgot to take it off prior to jumping into a body of water. I throw them away and start a new one if I do. They are supposed to be uneffected by water, but I've seen a decrease in effectiveness when they get soaked too many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLachance75 View Post
That is a great idea. Do they have the same 8 month life span if you keep taking it on/off. I'm guessing you store it inside of the metal tin when not in use or do you bag it first? Does it matter if you buy the dog or cat version and do you buy one that will fit your ankle or do you buy the XL?

I may start implementing this as I go hiking weekly and in the spring/summer the ticks suck. I had 4 that were dug into me good this past summer. I already buy Seresto for my dog so I may order an extra one and use it for myself.
msm0711 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:34 PM   #25 (permalink)
No gooder, rascal

Brass and Wood Fan
I’m glad this is still circulating. Just an update from my end...cap star, twice daily flea combing and lots of vacuuming got things under control

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat