mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:41 AM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

Hopefully I'll remember to check what unit I have at home tonight. It's an upright washer/dryer (both front load) that's supposed to be more energy efficient. It's crap. It doesn't even dry the clothes completely.
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:04 AM   #22 (permalink)
Thunder bum bum

CCM Fan
Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsFeast View Post
Hopefully I'll remember to check what unit I have at home tonight. It's an upright washer/dryer (both front load) that's supposed to be more energy efficient. It's crap. It doesn't even dry the clothes completely.
Okay I do NOT want that one then lol
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:09 AM   #23 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderbarsafari View Post
went with a comparable Maytag from the local place that confirmed they could fully service or repair.

Assuming the "millennium" version with the little lid is closed tab on the right of washer door....let me save you a service call.

That tab cannot be disconnected like old lid locks could, it's tied into the control board. It watches that tab to be sure it's magnetically locked and secure. IF any small amount of lint gets built up on the tab or it's locking bit it will throw the washer into a fault where it will continually lock, unlock, sit and blink. Take a small q-tip and clean both those surfaces from time to time and save paying some guy $85 an hour to do it.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William the Third View Post
Just what exactly happened? Dryers are typically really simple, unless it's a modern fancy one with all kinds of crazy (pointless?) options. You can probably repair it yourself for really cheap.
My dryer has steam! Steam! Though, I still haven't figured out how to download games on to it, yet.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #25 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I need a new dryer

Last edited by wunderbarsafari; 09-12-2018 at 01:41 PM.
wunderbarsafari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:53 PM   #26 (permalink)

I never thought I'd be so interested in washer and dryer talk until I read this thread.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:17 PM   #27 (permalink)
Thunder bum bum

CCM Fan
Kilt Club
My old dryer made a loud noise, big bang, then started smoking like crazy. Before that the temperature regulation was squirrely as all hell so it was definitely on the outs
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #28 (permalink)
I'm Comin' To Getcha!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDread View Post
My old dryer made a loud noise, big bang, then started smoking like crazy. Before that the temperature regulation was squirrely as all hell so it was definitely on the outs
Loud noise could be a few different things, get me a model number and a brand and I might be able to help you fix it. Temp regulation is easy, more often than not it's due to bad venting but if it's a thermostat they are easy to change. Smoking could either be a motor, belt or heating elements ( Or gas burner if it's gas).... My guess is the belt broke and the load noise you heard was the idler snapping against the frame. Smoke was possibly from the belt being cooked.... All of which is easy to fix usually
LPPC Member #71

Feedback

Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Lowes/Home Depot/Menards might install a new one for you for free. You might need to buy a new power cord though.
THE Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:48 PM   #30 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

When I got divorced my ex took all the appliances, I had a 10 year old GE front loader setup. NOT recommended as the washer was a royal pain as they didn't include a way to clean out the filters in the outlet, so you literally had to take apart the whole thing every year or 2 to clean it all out as the filters would get clogged and it would get stinky and throw error codes... So about 3-4 years ago I needed a washer and dryer, and I went with the LG as my parents have a 10 year old set that has worked really well and they are HUGE and I hate doing laundry. I got mine at Best buy and bought the ones off the floor that were display models as the "new" models had square doors and the "old" ones were round. I got both the washer AND dryer for $250 and $240. They are stainless with steam and all the options, retail was around $1,000+ for each normally... I was also buying all new kitchen appliances too so I got the best deal as I was spending about $2,000 on a new fridge, stove, microwave for over the stove and dishwasher (went Samsung stainless on those). They had a deal if you bought the package and I added the washer and dryer and the manager really delivered on cutting the price! So for $2,500 I got all of it. Plus tax. Delivery was included.

They have a door to clean out the filter, which makes it a 2 minute job instead of 3 hour...

The dryer works really well, and has a ton of options, and steam really is a life saver if you hate to iron... I use it often, very easy, tapwater is all you need, and it will totally remove any wrinkles.
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat