mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:59 AM   #51 (permalink)
Blue resistance movement.

I attended another course today to make a railroad spike knife. $60 for about 5 hours.
Went a little off-script and put some kirpan-like curves in it. It was my first time making anything knife-like. The course only covers the forging part as they have no belt sanders for refining so she is no beauty.

It puts the hands in the air or it gets the paint again.
Rickfactor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:09 AM   #52 (permalink)
Intravenous Maple Syrup

That's rad dude! It's hard to tell how thick it is, but something tells me you're going to have some time on a grinder to get that thing slicy.

Love the twist and the blade shape you went with. That could become the most badass of custom Amazon package openers.

I'm jealous! Looks like quite the experience!
Bang*Bang** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:44 PM   #53 (permalink)
Blue resistance movement.

If you are in Vancouver, the course is close by in burnaby.

It puts the hands in the air or it gets the paint again.
Rickfactor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:37 PM   #54 (permalink)
MCB Member

I wish there were cheap classes like that around here. Even the one I found for like half a day was 200 bucks. I think I'll put that money into building a forge and fixing up my belt grinder. I have a tendency to do things my own way anyways lol.
Macdave06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:52 PM   #55 (permalink)
Midget Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to cfos00

Just started watching. Honestly, reminds me of a man-version of 'Chopped.'

Columns I've Written:
Fulda Gap:
1. https://wp.me/paF2hJ-Pg
2. https://wp.me/paF2hJ-Q7

Yong Heng Air Compressor Review:
https://wp.me/paF2hJ-E6

Who to Have Anodize Your Paintball Gun:
https://wp.me/paF2hJ-Nm
cfos00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:38 AM   #56 (permalink)
MCB Member

I could see that. It would probably feel even more like it if I had an interest in cooking lol.

I don't really care too much about who wins. I mean I'll pick a favorite, but I really just enjoy seeing the different methods used. Kind of learning from others mistakes or triumphs.
Something I'm shocked I've never seen is someone with a temp gun. Even the people that are engineers. I know alot of the guys go by color, or even flat out wing it if they're not familiar with a particular alloy. It makes me wonder if they're not allowed.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:25 AM   #57 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdave06 View Post
I could see that. It would probably feel even more like it if I had an interest in cooking lol.

I don't really care too much about who wins. I mean I'll pick a favorite, but I really just enjoy seeing the different methods used. Kind of learning from others mistakes or triumphs.
Something I'm shocked I've never seen is someone with a temp gun. Even the people that are engineers. I know alot of the guys go by color, or even flat out wing it if they're not familiar with a particular alloy. It makes me wonder if they're not allowed.
I could be wrong but I think the ones that reasonably accurately measure at those temperatures are still in the 1000's of dollars so they just aren't really worth it for this application.

Of course I didn't realize how cheap the more mundane ones have gotten either. still need to get one for tire temp at the track.
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:43 PM   #58 (permalink)
MCB Member

You can get one at the hardware store for like 20-30 bucks that'll work for that.
It does seem like once you get over about 1500f all of a sudden they get much more expensive, but they're available for 2-300. I have seen some of them with temperature probes at their home forges, either in the forge or the quenching oil.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat