mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'll throw a vote for planet eclipse gravel pack. The newer ones have some molle strips. I've carried a 2014 3-4 days a week for the last few years (I bought it new but a year old). It has a padded computer pocket. I put everything in there. Some things stay in there with dedicated pockets. Range bag, suitcase, brief case, gym bag, I'll be looking for another when this one wears out.

This was the only PE thing I owned until I got an emek this Christmas.

some things are stickier than others

Last edited by Spider!; 12-27-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellicose View Post
I'm a fan of Eberlestock. They are in the pricier side, but great quality. That's my hunting pack. All of the cheap ones that I have tried, I don't really like. They are uncomfortable and just don't fit the roles that I had intended them to.
Eberlestock packs look very nice but they are pricey.

Thanks for the suggestion. Kinda digging the "Hispeed Pack"...

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Inline Mechs

My Tactial Tailor assault pack and other nylon gear have held up spectactularly over many years and hard use. Ingenious designs too like their MBITR/Harris radio pouch. Give this overtly practical Made in the USA gear some consideration too.
Walking Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Location: Plano, TX by way of Pasadena, CA by way of Memphis, TN
Send a message via AIM to zenmic Send a message via MSN to zenmic Send a message via Yahoo to zenmic

Glad to know that Tactical Tailor is still around.
zenmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
808 State

It's out of your price range but check out Hill People Gear. They make in my opinion the best bags and by far the most comfortable harness system. I have 5 of their bags (Ute, Aston House Backcountry, Umlindi, Tarahumara, and Heavy Recon kit bag.) For my EDC bag I use a Kifaru Antero which is a bomb proof bag.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
JKR

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Its opened my eyes to some specialized pack makers I didn't know existed. One thing for sure...this could get expensive!

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
Old 12-29-2018, 11:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
JKR

I pulled the trigger today and ordered a Maxpedition Falcon II pack. Its a 23L pack with an excellent reputation for ruggedness. I don't big game hunt so packing out meat isn't a concern...just needed a pack to hold extra clothes, food, and other things needed for a day of hunting. I also plan on using it for traveling on overnight trips, day long hiking trips, vacations, and anything else that a backpack is good for. The small hunting pack I have been using will be ditched in favor of this new pack.

It was about twice the cost of a similar Condor pack (and the Rothco model also) but Maxpedition is a company known for their quality gear. Numerous videos looking at other packs and their construction also influenced this decision. Some of the cheaper packs I looked at seemed to have substandard strap designs in particular as well as poor seams in comparison.

Time will tell if this was a good or bad decision. It may lead to a better pack down the road so I am grateful for the information on some of the top end packs out there that I didn't know about.

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- George Washington

Feedback
Old 12-30-2018, 02:26 AM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

You will love it. My Maxpedition has been an EDC for six years. I can't believe it looks new. Last year, I started using a Samsonite backpack because it had more laptop padding, and it seemed well made. It was toast in 4 months.
My particular bag is a Pygmy Falcon II, but the design seems to have changed a little bit over the years. It has made me a loyal customer, but I don't think I will ever need to buy a bag again.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
JKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyghost View Post
You will love it. My Maxpedition has been an EDC for six years. I can't believe it looks new. Last year, I started using a Samsonite backpack because it had more laptop padding, and it seemed well made. It was toast in 4 months.
My particular bag is a Pygmy Falcon II, but the design seems to have changed a little bit over the years. It has made me a loyal customer, but I don't think I will ever need to buy a bag again.
Good to hear! I am hopeful that this will be well worth the money in the long run. My son would be the next one to likely get a pack if this one works out so this may not be my last one.

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- George Washington

Feedback
Old 12-30-2018, 12:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Did you go for the buy one get one free deal?

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat