mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Intermidiate

Career Advice

Well, I am in the final stages of high school, and don't know what I want to do as a career...
I had planned on going to the Royal Military College and doing my time there, then as an officer, and getting out, but I found out that I'm ineligible for military service because of my diabetes.
I enjoy studying history, law, politics, religion and philosophy.
Any recommendations on jobs that would require this type of study? I would really appreciate it.
BLINDMAN Pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tinkerer

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLINDMAN Pb View Post
Well, I am in the final stages of high school, and don't know what I want to do as a career...
I had planned on going to the Royal Military College and doing my time there, then as an officer, and getting out, but I found out that I'm ineligible for military service because of my diabetes.
I enjoy studying history, law, politics, religion and philosophy.
Any recommendations on jobs that would require this type of study? I would really appreciate it.
Well based on you saying Royal Military and not West Point etc. I am guessing you're in Canada. That being said if you are wanting to be into something with government service and those other areas of your interest, I would suggest looking into an intelligence service or something akin to that. The CIA and FBI both have roles for historians and we'll law and politics naturally fall into that as well. Just my $.02.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Intermidiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
Well based on you saying Royal Military and not West Point etc. I am guessing you're in Canada. That being said if you are wanting to be into something with government service and those other areas of your interest, I would suggest looking into an intelligence service or something akin to that. The CIA and FBI both have roles for historians and we'll law and politics naturally fall into that as well. Just my $.02.
I did want to do be in military intelligence, and have looked into the more domestic intelligence agencies, but from what I understand, they are pretty small, and will 'come to you' if they want you...
Old 02-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Does you diabetes stop you from doing police work? Detective maybe good.
ilivlife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Career Advice

1. Get an education and study what interests you. A degree isnít a golden ticket to a relevant job nor does it pigeonhole you in a field. Itís a token of your general professional potential.

2. Be open to and seek out opportunities. Some of the coolest jobs donít fit cleanly into traditional categories. If youíre interested in defense, intelligence, diplomacy, foreign policy, international business, or whatever, go talk to people and learn about whatís out there. Itís far easier to prepare for a job you know is out there than to expect one to come along that fits you perfectly.

Last edited by wunderbarsafari; 02-09-2019 at 12:55 PM.
wunderbarsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Intermidiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilivlife View Post
Does you diabetes stop you from doing police work? Detective maybe good.
From what I understand no, but my health will be under much more scrutiny than anyone else.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Intermidiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderbarsafari View Post
1. Get an education and study what interests you. A degree isnít a golden ticket to a relevant job nor does it pigeonhole you in a field. Itís a token of your general professional potential.

2. Be open to and seek out opportunities. Some of the coolest jobs donít fit cleanly into traditional categories. If youíre interested in defense, intelligence, diplomacy, foreign policy, international business, or whatever, go talk to people and learn about whatís out there. Itís far easier to prepare for a job you know is out there than to expect one to come along that fits you perfectly.
Thank you, this seems like such good advice. I guess I'm more just looking for job suggestions, or where to start looking more than anything else...
Old 02-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLINDMAN Pb View Post
Thank you, this seems like such good advice. I guess I'm more just looking for job suggestions, or where to start looking more than anything else...

Look up your intel agencies online and read through all of their recruitment info and job postings. Do the same
with Canadian defense contractors and see who deals with intel and what jobs and requirements they might have. Consider learning a foreign language and/or studying/working abroad. Find out who is on your government intel or foreign policy committees and find out how they pick staffers. Also, dig into the process of intel collection, sharing, protection, processing, analysis, reporting, etc. and think about all the different pieces that make such a system work.
wunderbarsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

The problem with getting a liberal arts degree then heading into LE is that you are pigeon holed if you get injured, don't like LE, or (as happens more often than you think) you get screwed.

Then you have to start over because at that point you have to go back to school so you can actually get gainful employment with your degree as a lawyer or professor, or go learn something that will actually pay you.

I started as a political science major headed towards federal law enforcement. I changed to computer science because I wanted a degree that I could use in case something went wrong. I'm glad I did.

In 2012 I was working in corrections while applying to federal positions, I was actually waiting for an academy start date for US Border Patrol and had begun testing for federal air marshals 2012 when I got f***** by my Dept and was terminated (it's a long story).

As a result LE was no longer a choice.

I was a sophomore in college and I was making $16 / hour as a CO. After getting fired I was picked by the IT Dept of an air ambulance company. Started at $18 and in a year I was making $25 / hr (about $50k annually)

That year as a junior I was hired by a software company to work in QA writing automated tests in Python. Income went to $70k. I've since transitioned to development and had a promotion.

----

So, I would encourage you to get an engineering degree, either as something you enjoy, or something you can deal with. And if you are still dedicated to the LE path, you have a backup. I would also encourage you to closely examine that choice and if you can go straight into an engineering field then do so. It's better in every measurable way.

Finally, you don't have to do either of those. There are a ton of valuable trades that will pay you very well. Don't dismiss those.

Just remember that a career's primary function is to pay you now and prepare you for the future.

If you have an itch you need to scratch - to protect, to help, etc... - and I understand it if you do - get licensed and do security part time, or get an EMT cert and do that part time to scratch the itch while your day job pays you. Heck you could also become an ER nurse or doctor if you need that in your life.
apamburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I'll give you the same advice I give all high school grads. If you aren't sure of what you want to do then don't rush into anything. Get an entry level position in construction, forestry, mining, or whatever else that showing up on time and a strong back are more important than what you know starting. Build those work ethic skills and your list of contacts. Do that to pay the bills while you research/volunteer/shadow every career that might I interest you. Might set you back a couple years from graduation but certainly less in debt than just throwing a dart at a board. Now being in Canada I don't know what your post secondary education costs are so this is all from an American perspective and seeing what college costs here.
somethingbenign is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat