mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

What smart thermostat do you have?

My Iris system is shutting down at the end of next month, and with it, I have had to buy a new alarm system. Not a big deal, as Iris sent me a card with enough to buy the new system. One problem I didn't think of, however, would be that my thermostats currently work with the Iris hub, and can't be controlled with my Amazon Alexa without it. I can't find an easy work around to get them enabled, so I think I'm going to have to buy two new thermostats (upstairs and down stairs). What systems do you guys have/recommend that are Alexa compatible?
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bad Juju

When I put new HVAC into my house last year I got American Standard systems with Nexia smart controls. They work well. I can log in from anywhere to control them if needed, set up geofences on people's phones that will turn the system on when they get within the geofence, other stuff too I'm sure, but I don't use most of it. I read that they work with Alexa too, though I don't have one of those so I can't verify that.
ClarkGryphyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bigger Balls

Sensi. It was cheap. I'm quite happy with it. I do not use Alexa or such services.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
I have an Ecobee 3 and two remote sensors. The unit has actually paid for itself within the first year and it's compatible with your Alexa. Although, I don't use a smart speaker myself. I particularly like how it provides statistics such as stage 1 and AUX usage and how it reports on things like weather impact and home efficiency. Unlike the Nest, it doesn't learn your patterns. You define a schedule and it sticks to it unless the sensors detect that you're home when it expects you to be away. In the winter, I leave my heat pump on a single temperature hold. But in the summer, I set home and away schedules to avoid running the AC too much when we're not home.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

That's actually backwards. You should be resetting in the winter and not the summer. It's easy to add heat, hard to take it away. And you will have more control of humidity levels if you let the ac run all the time.
Carlito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
That's actually backwards. You should be resetting in the winter and not the summer. It's easy to add heat, hard to take it away. And you will have more control of humidity levels if you let the ac run all the time.
The problem with that is that if there's too wide of a gap in temperature in the winter, it will either take several hours to come back up to temperature using stage 1 heat or else it will have to supplement stage 1 with AUX heat which is a lot less energy efficient. Leaving the system at a single temperature allows stage 1 to keep up without relying on AUX heat.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Yes, the Joys of heat pumps. Not so easy to add heat, you're right. In the summer it's the same thing. If your system is sized right it could runs for hours continuously trying to get back down to temp. That's good for dehumidification but costs a lot. If your system is over sized it will catch up quickly but the house will still be humid. To each there own. That's what those fancy stats are for. I do hvac service for a living and have no desire to upgrade my stat. Keep it simple and it will last longer.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

The most basic thermostats you can buy now still have adaptive recovery built in. Meaning it learns how long it runs and adjusts the cycle times accordingly.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

My heater turns off if it gets pushed over.

features both a hi and lo mode.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
The biggest benefit I've seen with a smart stat when paired with a heat pump is that I can actually lock down AUX usage above a specific temperature. This feature alone has saved me a ton of money over the years. If the outside temperature is high enough, I'd rather not use the coils if I can avoid it.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat