mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
EMT's

Anyone good with Electronics?

fairly simple issue...

I tried to do the neighborly thing first.. it went as expected for the most part since I have had issues with this neighbor being a drunk piece of **** in the past....I just wanted to be able to say i did try.

my neighbor got a ring back in oct..attached it to the wall just aside his door..
Now,i dont care he has it..back in oct he has stated before getting it he was getting it because of me. He insists i **** with his mail and broke into his apartment only to break one or two things...etc..cops got involved,he was drunk ..it was a mess..regardless.

The doorbell can be seen in the provided photo..

I tried to speak with the guy,politely asked about the field of view of said camera..im fairly certain they are 180 degree view..but im not sure what falls into that 180 degrees.. asked if he could please show me for my piece of mind that it does not see anything past my door frame ,while my door is open.. he tried to tell me it doesn't..i asked if he could show me, again..for piece of mind.. he says nah,maybe another time and laughs..

I assure him I don't give a **** he has a camera in the common area..but if it views into my apt in even the slightest bit that is a problem and its also illegal..he insist i am making up laws now and saws to the effect its there,and even if it can see so what..im allowed to have it there..

I explain again about seeing into my apt. ..i remind him i have a young daughter ..and if the camera does in fact see into my apt when my door is open there will be a problem ..he says touch it and you'll go to jail..i inform him ill be calling the police to discuss it with them once im back inside and if it can see in my apt ill remove it myself if he doesnt..again threatened with jail.... also goes on to tell me again hes allowed to have it regardless if it can see in my apt and its not his problem i wont be able to hide all the **** i do...

so, its been months now.. i had essentially made a blinder out of cardboard and attached it to the wall via thumbtack , close enough to his camera that it in theory blocks view into my apt when my door opens.. i dont know if this is truely the result though..

would anyone know of a way or if it would work to blind the camera or shield view of my apt door with an I.R illuminator? I dont want to place anything pointing directly

opening my door his camera is circled in red ..his door is opened a crack next to that..
head on to the lens. more from the side almost like lens glare/flare

due to some of his bull**** I planned on getting security cameras for my yard and apt door I use more often, where my mail goes etc.. to cover my *** from him doing anything or claiming i did something as my cameras would prove other wise..

when my ring doorbell came in I placed it next to his to attempt to get the same view as his to see what his could see.. sure enough.. it can see into the bed room (this door really isnt used much unless its raining,snowing etc and the grass is wet,muddy etc.. there's no walkway to the door i usually use.

the cardboard blinder has been enlarged since this picture was taken.. i want to eliminate it if possible cause its just ugly

even from a side angle on the wall to the right side of my door (left side looking out into hall ,mounted would this or something like this cause enough ir disturbance to the camera to not see my door or into my bedroom if the door was opened? or other thoughts..suggestions to block view?

-----
Edit..
I should also state things have changed in the hallway since having installed my device ( i got the wedge mount so it sees at a slight angle..) the home shop (door across from mine with a pumpkin) moved into the hallway and does business at a desk there, as does the drunk upstairs..(he runs a computer repair business) and they turned the home shop spot into 4th apt..they dont use the door at all and if they did my enlarged cardboard blinder serves to block my view completely should it open..intentionally done when they moved in

my camera and his..and below , the view from mine

https://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=170725

My Drinking Team Has A Paintball Problem.
------
I Shot The Sheriff,The Deputy And The Ref.. But We All Knew The Ref Had It Coming.

Last edited by NoX13; 03-09-2019 at 01:42 PM.
NoX13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Intermidiate

I'd say something to the landlord, it would be your cheapest/most effective option. If that does nothing, I would launch a complaint with the police, and see where that goes.
BLINDMAN Pb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
EMT's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLINDMAN Pb View Post
I'd say something to the landlord, it would be your cheapest/most effective option. If that does nothing, I would launch a complaint with the police, and see where that goes.
forgot to note... i did both, neither produced results.. police pushed it back to its private property and hes not bothering me..

landlord says its common area and hes allowed to have it...

neither will produce results as there is no real law.. its not a window etc..its not pointing "directly at it" etc..

------
I Shot The Sheriff,The Deputy And The Ref.. But We All Knew The Ref Had It Coming.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mr. Hoity Toity

The IR light would not work during the day. That camera like most other Day/Night cameras use an IR cut filter during the day. Your cardboard blinder is probably the easiest option.
No one is judge/jury/executioner here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
I must have missed that memo

Feedback

Kinda Loves DPrekel
The Flounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
EMT's

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder View Post
The IR light would not work during the day. That camera like most other Day/Night cameras use an IR cut filter during the day. Your cardboard blinder is probably the easiest option.
even if it was a higher ir illuminator? a foot or two way?
sadly the light in the hall is on 24 hours a day..

------
Old 03-09-2019, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Intravenous Maple Syrup

If you both have camera doorbells, anything you do to him he'll probably just do back to you.

Is this building owned by a single entity or is it a strata lot (multiple owners)?
Bang*Bang** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mr. Hoity Toity

The filter blocks out all IR light so unless it switches to night mode it will not help. I have an IR light I will test on mine to confirm this week.
No one is judge/jury/executioner here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
I must have missed that memo

Feedback

Kinda Loves DPrekel
The Flounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
One Foot Less

I would likely invest in one of the LED light bars like you see on redneck trucks all the time. Install it along your doorframe right at the jam. Have it on a switch to where it can be turned on just prior to opening the door and aim it right at the cam. It will almost assuredly blind it from seeing inside your apt. A well aimed laser pointer might have the same effect without the heat that would be a problem.
If you are handy you could likely rig the light switch via a door contact relay such that it's only on while your door is open.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Certified Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
I would likely invest in one of the LED light bars like you see on redneck trucks all the time. Install it along your doorframe right at the jam. Have it on a switch to where it can be turned on just prior to opening the door and aim it right at the cam. It will almost assuredly blind it from seeing inside your apt. A well aimed laser pointer might have the same effect without the heat that would be a problem.
If you are handy you could likely rig the light switch via a door contact relay such that it's only on while your door is open.

Fridge door switch (https://www.appliancepartspros.com/g...ap5796096.html)

Near Houston TX? Check out the
Houston Area Stock Class Group
Mithuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Formerly lancecst

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithuna View Post
That was going to be my suggestion. Rig up a really bright light that points directly at his camera only when you open your door. You can experiment on your camera to see how many LEDs you need to direct at the lens so that it gets washed out.

FOR SALE
BLachance75 is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat