mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

I've had exactly one Gerber that has impressed me.
Because it's a keychain-sized knife. For like $4.
Impressive that they got the same quality in that as their full-sized stuff. I'm just not overly impressed with they full-sized stuff.
I can get an edge on them, but they don't keep it long. That and they way they grind their edges; they always seem to have a rounded, blunt tip.
Aside from that, I have yet to run into a Gerber that's bad, just never impressive. I can always find something sharper, sturdier, or cheaper--take your pick which you want to trade.

If I'm carrying just a knife, I go with Kershaw. Sometimes the steel isn't much better, but the sharpening and temper are. I'm a fan of Kershaw as far as the cost for quality.
Almost permanently in my pocket, though, is my Leatherman Wingman. Not the best multitool out there, but great for the cost and Gerber hasn't made anything that can rival it.
My MCB Feedback
My eBay Feedback
Moriearty Hobby Supply on eBay and Facebook.
Deus Machina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

I agree Kershaw is great and definitely the leaders in quality lower cost knives. I have trouble not carrying my Leatherman Skeletool because itís just too useful. Wish the knife on it was better; I bought the one with 154cm and itís not worth the extra $. Definitely not tempered anything close to Benchmade 154cm. Shoot I have Boker knives that hold a better edge.
1shot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Intravenous Maple Syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shot View Post
If you want an impressive folder itís going to cost a bit. Also everyone has different needs; if you need a fixed blade donít use a folder. Benchmade, Cold Steel and a few others make some that are tough but none are ever going to be a Becker BK2. Benchmade Griptillion seems to be very prevalent; take a look at one sometime if you get a chance. Knives get a lot nicer in fit and finish but it will give you an idea of what a knife can be.
+1 for fixies and Cold Steel. Not a super fan of their machismo hype videos on YouTube, but bang for buck, I'm in love with the Master Hunter in CPM-3V. All I need for a knife is a good, strong, relatively small, light, food prepper, wood chopper/carver. Something I can lean on or step on and know metal shards aren going to come at me. It fits my needs like a glove... but it makes me feel like I'm wearing the infinity gauntlet (NERD!). Certainly an investment I've been happy with.
Attached Images

Bang*Bang** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Gerber went downhill when Fiskars bought them, before that they were one of the best. i used to use a personal knife for opening boxes at work but got tired of sharpening it and made them get me a box knife. if i had to supply my own again i would get one of the ones that use box knife blades even though the blades are not as good as they used to be.
vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

I like my CRKT folder. I carry it every day that I dress casual. On my keys, though, is a leatherman micra, and has been since Easter of '96.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

Big fan of Benchmade here but I know they are not "inexpensive" knives but in the world of knives they are kind of the workman grade knives.

Best bet is to pick a lock type you like, a blade design that works best for you, and a set of ergonomics that fit your hand and usage well. Then go try a bunch of knives and work back from there, keeping in mind grade of steel on the blade.

As always, good tools are worth their weight in gold and cheap tools, no matter how good the warranty is will let you down when you need them most.

"What makes a VM so charming is that you can chop down small trees with it" - Jaan
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
My best, and probably cheapest folder is my Svord Peasant. It is a tad big for pocket carry though and I haven't purchased the mini version yet. I carry an SAK every day because it has more utility.
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Big fan of Benchmade here but I know they are not "inexpensive" knives but in the world of knives they are kind of the workman grade knives.

Best bet is to pick a lock type you like, a blade design that works best for you, and a set of ergonomics that fit your hand and usage well. Then go try a bunch of knives and work back from there, keeping in mind grade of steel on the blade.

As always, good tools are worth their weight in gold and cheap tools, no matter how good the warranty is will let you down when you need them most.

I definitely agree with all of this. I own a couple knives that are what Iíd consider mid grade; Benchmade North Fork and 940 Osborne. After using and being happy with some cheaper knives Iíve become intrigued. I donít expect them to match better knives; just want to see what they can do. Iíve been very surprised by some. My favorite old Gerber knives were all the small slide in your pocket type. I would have put their quality around Case CV steel. Not the greatest but not even close to bad. Most knives that arenít junk will meet 99% of my daily needs. Just having some fun with different things.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

Kershaw only for me. Probably have 10 different Kershaws at home. Best value for the money and excellent deep-pocket carry clips on many of the models.
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot View Post
Kershaw only for me. Probably have 10 different Kershaws at home. Best value for the money and excellent deep-pocket carry clips on many of the models.

As far as value is concerned I donít think it gets better than Kershaw and Ontario. Iíve had some good CRKT knives too. Iíve put my Gerber to a bit of work this week including some cardboard. Actually picked up a SOG salute mini the other day and compared it to the Gerber cutting up some cardboard boxes. They surprised me, they did about the same and way better than I expected. Either knife will definitely take care of a few boxes. After the boxes I started cutting up some paracord on a wooden bench (I mean why not?), eventually the edge on each knife rolled and started ripping the cord. Just a couple swipes on the ceramic rod brought them back to sharp. Neither knife would be my pick for moderate use but they definitely can get a bit of work done and they are effortless to sharpen.

When you consider that for about the same or even less money you can buy something from Kershaw or an Ontario RAT they just arenít worth the money. Iím sure they will hold up to abuse better than say my Case Medium Stockman (that I have no complaints about; one of my favorite pocket knives).

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat