mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Barrel diameter

2 questions:

Was it ever determind if a tighter bore was indeed more accurate? Or is that a myth?

If so, then a piece of electrical tape down the inside of my stock 98 barrell should do the trick, or is that gonna cause backspin?

Question 3. I own a freak system for the 98, but the front and back together are a little longer than i wanted. Does anyone have an stl of a tip i can print and screw onto the freak back?

Thanks
LT72884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Not Legit

#1 no
#2 not a great idea, definitely going to cause spin
#3 can't help you there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
ooh look at that over there!!! Jeremy Salm riding a giant rainbow-coloured unicorn!!
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Poop, poop and tripple poop. Ok, so my stock 98 barrell without tape should be good to go then?
Old 06-27-2019, 06:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Overboring works well, too.
isiTrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiTrue View Post
Overboring works well, too.
So basically buying an insert kit is pointless For underbore?
What's the advantage of overbore?
Maybe the question I should be asking, is, matching paint to the same size bore? Does that make it more accurate?

Last edited by LT72884; 06-27-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Not Legit

Wasn't that the question you already asked?

Underboring, or bore matching, has advantages besides accuracy. Which is good, because like I already said, it doesn't help with accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
ooh look at that over there!!! Jeremy Salm riding a giant rainbow-coloured unicorn!!
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmoormaster View Post
Wasn't that the question you already asked?

Underboring, or bore matching, has advantages besides accuracy. Which is good, because like I already said, it doesn't help with accuracy.
Almost the same question :-) haha the first question I asked was a tighter bore, as in underbore. So I guess it doesn't matter about the bore for accuracy. That's all from the paint itself.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
2 questions:

Was it ever determind if a tighter bore was indeed more accurate? Or is that a myth?

If so, then a piece of electrical tape down the inside of my stock 98 barrell should do the trick, or is that gonna cause backspin?

Question 3. I own a freak system for the 98, but the front and back together are a little longer than i wanted. Does anyone have an stl of a tip i can print and screw onto the freak back?

Thanks
In my experience. A tighter bore is more accurate in a closed bolt marker like a pump or autococker. If the ball is rolling forward of the bolt different lengths in the barrel between shots you will get inconsistent velocity and roll outs. Nail polish or wedgits or a piece of tape at the entry of the barrel can also accomplish the same task of holding the ball right in front of the bolt.

On a open bolt gun like the tippman I get the best results by running a overbore. Because detents hold the ball in the same position every shot. I like to size my bore so every ball I test rolls right through. So I pick the smallest bore that allows that to happen. That way I'm not getting one shot with a good seal around the ball and the next shot with more blow by of air. But I am still not getting tons of blow by, like a super big overbore which makes the marker lose efficiency and have to run at a higher pressure/flow of air to get the same amount of velocity.

That's said, paintballs themselves make up 80% of the difference in accuracy. 10% is being dual regulated. And the last 10% is getting a consistent bore fit shot to shot. Whether its tight fit or loose fit. You don't want in between.

The best thing you can do for a tippmann is get a regulator on there. Then you can actually make better use of playing with bore sizes.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalBigBird View Post
In my experience. A tighter bore is more accurate in a closed bolt marker like a pump or autococker. If the ball is rolling forward of the bolt different lengths in the barrel between shots you will get inconsistent velocity and roll outs. Nail polish or wedgits or a piece of tape at the entry of the barrel can also accomplish the same task of holding the ball right in front of the bolt.

On a open bolt gun like the tippman I get the best results by running a overbore. Because detents hold the ball in the same position every shot. I like to size my bore so every ball I test rolls right through. So I pick the smallest bore that allows that to happen. That way I'm not getting one shot with a good seal around the ball and the next shot with more blow by of air. But I am still not getting tons of blow by, like a super big overbore which makes the marker lose efficiency and have to run at a higher pressure/flow of air to get the same amount of velocity.

That's said, paintballs themselves make up 80% of the difference in accuracy. 10% is being dual regulated. And the last 10% is getting a consistent bore fit shot to shot. Whether its tight fit or loose fit. You don't want in between.

The best thing you can do for a tippmann is get a regulator on there. Then you can actually make better use of playing with bore sizes.
Could you please link me to a regulator that is good and not to expensive. I run a remote line to either a 48cu or the 13cu.

My stock barrell seems pretty decent, but if i go my freak insert, i need a tip because an 18inch barrell is a large profile. Trying to go the smg route. Im a big woodsball player and cqb

Tha ks for your input
Old 06-27-2019, 09:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
Could you please link me to a regulator that is good and not to expensive. I run a remote line to either a 48cu or the 13cu.

My stock barrell seems pretty decent, but if i go my freak insert, i need a tip because an 18inch barrell is a large profile. Trying to go the smg route. Im a big woodsball player and cqb

Tha ks for your input
I guess it depends on what you consider expensive. Being that it's a high pressure marker you will have less options in the inexpensive range. Which is why most people don't do it. Plus you will have to get the kit that routes it through the front grip or a adapter that screws into the valve itself where the hose feeds in.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat