mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
nearly anything by Larry Niven. I like his books on his own a little more vs with another author. Not a huge fan of the Man / Kzin wars books as they are mostly collections from other authors in his universe. Anything in "known universe" is connected.

Leo Frankowski - the Conrad Stargard series or the boy and his tank series. I like all of his books though. too bad he passed away a few years ago.

John Scalzi - old mans war series. He has a similar writing style to Heinlein and Frankowski. All of his other series have been pretty good so far. Funny thing I saw one of his books being read in the TV show "Almost Human". Then when the credits roll he had writing credits for it. Probably explains why I enjoyed the show.

Anne and/or Todd McCaffrey - The Pern Series or any of her others ( since passed away and her son Tood took over for a while). Nearly all of her books are in one universe and connected, but there are some other series and single books that she wrote. All good.

Frank herbert - good books, but what a haul to get through one. I find his books very slow.

Piers Anthony - The Xanth series. Its somewhat directed towards younger readers, but are still in my colllection and I read them. lots of terrible puns.

Alan Dean Foster - pretty much anything. You can't escape this man. If there has been a novelization of a sci-fi movie in the last 40 years... he probably wrote it. Plus he wrote many books made in to movies. I don't know how the hell he can write so many books.
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:22 PM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

I second old mans war

Kinda sci fi, Roger Zelazny is the bomb. Jack of Shadows is one of my all time faves.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
Previously blasdgag

My boss gave us an unexpected hour off today, so I stopped by the bookstore to decide which one I should readName:  20191001_142427.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  86.1 KB
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:00 PM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
I've been reading The Interdependency trilogy by John Scalzi. The first two books are out now with the final one coming in April. I don't know if I'd put them on par with Heinlein or Frank Herbert, but they're fast reads and they're entertaining.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
Cobra Paintball Fanatic

PPS Fan
If you're looking for oldies but goodies...
Deathworld by Harry Harrison
and my personal favorite, H Beam Piper's Lone Star Planet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cameron View Post
Anyone who thinks they can out-birddog a birdog, regardless of weather conditions, is just stupid.
My Feedback
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:09 PM   #26 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass and Wood Fan
all you folks recommending Scalzi need to find and check out the Sten chronicles

I know I know I already recommended it. but scalzi is good and if you like that then check out stuff like that decades before him

if you want some ur-dystopian stuff find and read a copy of "We" by Yevgeny Zamyatin . . . he wrote it in 1921 but you will see threads from it that still ring through a lot of sci-fi since

also, since I forgot it before - Saberhagen and his Berserker universe. also stuff written by other authors in that universe. fun stuff

also also, glad to see someone else mention 'the mote in god's eye' - really good book
TANSTAAFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay
I agree with Don.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.
he doesn't like the salad . . . it reminds him of death
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:52 PM   #27 (permalink)
Just Some Guy

The Vorkosigan books by Lois McMaster-Bujold.

My Feedback
MarkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:59 PM   #28 (permalink)
Post Whore

have you read battle field earth or mission earth series books. you also have all warhammer 40k warhammer 40k horus heresy books. all done by different writes for each book telling the story of how chaos marine where formed and leading up to epic battle to finish off series which up to 54 books some books are short story's too. but most of books main books.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:28 PM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

Start with Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny, then read Armor by John Steakly, then Old Man's War by John Scalzi, then go back and read the rest of Zelazny's Amber series, then the stand alone Lord of Light, twice for full effect. He covers it all. Well. Short stories, novellas, novels, series, diverse and eclectic, everything.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:28 AM   #30 (permalink)
Super Legit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
My boss gave us an unexpected hour off today, so I stopped by the bookstore to decide which one I should readAttachment 73147
I'm reading Leviathan awakes, you should join me so we can discuss after we finish

^^^ If you are new to the sport and need help finding gear, click here!!!^^^

feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Trbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat