mcarterbrown.com  

Old 12-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

T-cat vs Desert Fox

Went to a field I have never played at Saturday. Could not get any of my pumps over 220 FPS (on co2 - they did better on N2) due to the cold weather, so I played semi all day. I figured it would be a nice opportunity to test my recently-acquired Thundercat against my trusty old Desert Fox.

The 'Cat is much quieter, and a bit more efficient.

The 'Fox is, in every other conceivable way, superior (but we pretty much knew that). The only point that surprised me was accuracy. Balls shot form the 'cat tended to wander, while the 'Fox with the same barrel, balls, hopper, and fps (+/- a little) was dead on.

They are both open bolt markers with nearly identical bot-faces, and ball detents. Both markers were using the same barrel (the exact same empire kit) - so why would the 'Cat hook as it did? (Note, the hooking was not constant, it would kook to varying degrees and directions from shot to shot).

I'm not saying the 'Cat is a bad marker - I was still getting some nice shots off with it, and would definitely let friends use it as my loaner, and it did just fine against the Spyders and Model 98's out on the field - but still... weird quirk there.

Also: Classic Paintball near Atlanta - really good field, with good staff! Just wish they had woods.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

well the one big difference is that a cat(or all the cats for that matter) is a blow back, while the Fox is a blow forward(just like a Mag, same principle but different operation). so i think the weather in conjunction with the HPA has some play, but i think that the shear fact that the Fix has a built in reg, which was giving a better consistency of a shot versus not having a reg.

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Being regulated, the Fox should be at a lower pressure. This means that the pressure curve behind the ball is different. The pressure on the Fox should be relatively lower and longer, where the cat has a high pressure punch to it. With the empire kit, try a longer tip and maybe a lower velocity on the cat, so that it is not blowing a lot of gas.

Hooking shots often come out of higher velocity with short barrels, which also plays into the regulator on the Fox (less spikes). CO2 gas on a cold day is no help for the cat. If you have some volume in the front grip of the cat and tune it down for a long barrel, it should stop hooking.

Different valves/pressures like different barrel arrangements.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

Spider! - I agree. I am pretty sure the 'Cat was running at a shorter burst of higher pressure. I think it comes down to the harder kick of higher pressure deforms the ball a little more. Interesting... Also... the gas all moves in a straight line from back to front in the 'Fox, it moves at an angle in the 'Cat...

I forgot to mention both were run from the same 48/3000 bottle.

It's also "OK" that my pumps didn't work out so well that day. The 'Fox is more accurate than any of my nelson pumps. I was pretty mad when I figured that out a couple of years ago.

Last edited by ironnerd88; 12-26-2012 at 11:10 AM.
ironnerd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
I always come back to my Fox as my main semi, even over my nicer PPS and other guns. With a gutted reg and a PPS Stab, it's like the ultimate mech semi (besides the stupid powerfeed); instead of a compressed spring driving a hammer to hit a valve to release energy to fire the ball, it just directly releases it when pulling the trigger.

Does that make sense?

Just a nice solid satisfying-to-shoot gun.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

I like the power feed... And yes, that makes perfect sense.

Sounds like our guns are set-up almost the same. Which barrel are you using? I have an Empire kit - much quieter and more accurate than stock. I dig it.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
I just ordered a Spyder vert feed to try to adapt to make my Fox LF.

I have mine set up with a PPS Stab (stock reg gutted and capped off), and a 14" Freak Tactical barrel. Shoots ball-on-ball.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

It's funny cause I have a '98 and a '96 Fox. The '96 has a delrin bolt tip with the venturi holes drilled right up to the bolt face where it meets the paintballs. I have to say my '96 is more accurate than my '98.
The '98 was my main marker back in the late 90's, back when I actually played paintball on a semi-regular basis. The bolt tip on my '98 broke off and I got it fixed ICD and they replaced it with an aluminum tip. The tip was one big hole and the venturi ports are located back near the end of the bolt, more like the bolt tip on the Cat series.

And if you ask me, I really think that having those venturi holes drilled right up against the bolt face makes a more accurate marker. I don't know why. I'd like to think it has something to do with the fluid dynamics of the burst of air hitting the paintball more evenly through those hole sections, but I could be way off.

I know that the Freestyle line has the venturi style holes right at the end of the bolt tip and I think the Freestyle is a darn accurate marker too.
krupasjeans is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » ICD