mcarterbrown.com  

Old 04-10-2017, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Optimizing a Hammer7 for First strike?

So this summer I want to do a little dabbling with First Strike rounds.

We don't have enough woodsball or BYOP fields up here to justify buying a more advanced FSR capable gun but since I have a bone stock H7 in the closet doing nothing I figured it could be a decent project.

I have had marginal at best performance from the Hammer with roundball and will likely never use it for that ever again so if there are FSR only mods that need to be done, I am not apposed to that.

I would assume a designated barrel would be at the top of the list? I was looking at Lapco's FSR but I would imagine there are some other viable options out there.

What about better feeding, optics, sight bases, consistency, etc.?

Not looking to spend a pile of money but if there is value in some higher dollar components let's hear it.

Thanks for the help.

FYI: USPS Flatrate IS the same price when shipping to Alaska.

Last edited by Marbo40k; 04-10-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Marbo40k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

I'm working on one for my brother. a rifled barrel and usable optics is all it really needs.

Next thing is to mod a different magazine system, DAM or Helix, if you want to go that route.
Or switch it from Pump to "Bolt", which is very easy to do.

I didn't run into any feeding issues with the spyder mags when I last used it, so that hasn't been an issue for me.
Spyder E-MR5 - for those huge scenario games
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Which barrel would you recommend? Any flavor in particular that you prefer?

Also for optics, What have you found that works best for you? I have a couple things lying around that I could probably slap on there... Crossbow scopes look intriguing.

Good thought on the DAM mag modding. Might have to do that. Unfortunately I already have a good amount of Spyder mags so unless I run into issues with them I'm kind of invested.

I think bolt action is the direction I am leaning on this one.

Any photos of what you are working on?

Old 04-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

For barrels, I would use the Lapco or Hammerhead. They bare both great barrels. The HH has a few more length options, and it a bit bigger bore. You might need a sizer/fin depending on the size of the rounds in your area.

For optics, you can go with a red dot or a magnified scope. Crossbow scopes work great on the magnified side, and typically have drop reticles with different aim points for different ranges. Hawke makes great stuff (but fairly expensive), and they even have an app where you can calculate the Ranges that the different aim point correspond to.

If you want to spend less money, you can easily shoot accurately at 60-70 yards with a red dot. I recommend something that has a pretty open field of view, and maybe even multiple reticles, similar to the crossbow scope.

I used one like this for a while (browning makes the same thing for around $50), and it was great
Old 04-10-2017, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

No photos atm, but if you google there is a plethora of builds out there.

Thing is impossible to aim stock so I have a riser and have been using a reflex red dot. Only shooting at home at about 100 ft until we can get to an FSR game. It is like shooting laser beams at that distance.

For long shots a x bow sight works well, and I am exploring using one of those adjustable Scope rings. They can crack a scope if not careful but there isn't any recoil to worry about so you don't need to crank them down. Shimming with rubber also works to change angles. I borrowed a Hawke scope for a bit, wonderful scope to use.

Anything out to ~130ft you can use whatever optic and make mental notes within the scope picture on where to aim. If you want to touch people at 200+ ft you will need $$$ kit. I've not tried the Carmatech scope, I'm sure it's perfect. I set the sight for 90ft and that is working well.

Bolt is easy. Take off the pump. Screw in a "bolt handle" to the bolt. Done. Or you can get more fancy if you choose.

I have a Hammerhead Bangstixx. .683 back works fantastic with the H7.
My setup is with my EMR5 which it works wonderfully on too, but I also shoot round paint through it too using a .686 back.

I really like the hammerhead barrel, you can get the Mofo which is carbon fiber, lighter, and should fit the H7 without any mods. The Bangstixx you need to open the pump handle up a little.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Thanks for all the input guys!

I plan to make this a designated long range setup so I opted for the crossbow scope.

Had some Cabelas gift cards lying dormant so I put them to use on the scope and riser.

The gun as it sits... Please pardon the obnoxious paint color and the paper shims under the scope. Just dinking around with some round ball earlier. It will be getting a complete cosmetic overhaul with a stock and forend as well as a new paint job.

I also plan to order the Lapco barrel as well as their "Hushot" tip/extension for some extra length... mainly for proportional cosmetic purpose.

Any detrimental effects on FSR performance with the added length?

Old 04-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Skeet Surfer!

Brass and Wood Fan
Here is one I just started recently as well, in case it gives you any ideas

Ganon's Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes View Post
Welcome back buddy! And GanonsGrin is your brother? He is the devil
GanonsGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

That was the only other thing I was going to add:

You might want to rig it for a bottom line setup. Not sure if you can get a good line of site with the setup you have. If so, great, if not, a bottom line would most likely fix that issue and allow you use a bigger tank is wanted.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Chuck E Ducky

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Haven't had a lot of experience with the Stock hammer7 mags. But I have modified 4 or 5 with Dye mags and they sling First Strike rounds great. I would get a barrel shim the pump handle so it don't purge air/CO2 when pumping hard and get a High output Tank regulator if your going to Run HPA. Oh and buy extra cup seals they go threw them a lot.

Not a big fan of scopes. By the time you sight down them and aim a good player will point shoot you out.

Stocks / tanks out the back make it hard to aim with a mask.

Last edited by Mr Idiot Box; 04-12-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Mr Idiot Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbo40k View Post
Thanks for all the input guys!

I plan to make this a designated long range setup so I opted for the crossbow scope.

Had some Cabelas gift cards lying dormant so I put them to use on the scope and riser.

I also plan to order the Lapco barrel as well as their "Hushot" tip/extension for some extra length... mainly for proportional cosmetic purpose.

Any detrimental effects on FSR performance with the added length?
Cool what scope?
As long as the Tip doesn't actually touch the FSR on exit of the barrel proper it won't negatively affect flight performance. You don't want anything interacting with the spin from the barrel, it won't do much but any little variance will affect shots at long range. Longer barrel will need more air to power the shot but should provide a better FSR shot.

I like the Bangstixx muzzle, but I have been eyeing the Raging Donkey for hilarity.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Kingman