mcarterbrown.com  

Old 10-01-2018, 01:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

Easy Spyder mods?

Hey guys, I finally got a chance to shoot my very clean and stock spyder TL this weekend and it is an awesome gun. Very nice size, well balanced and even though it doesn't shoot crazy fast the slower nature keeps my paint usage under control.

One thing I noticed though is it is not very accurate. It seems like even on HPA the gun is fairly inconsistent and hooks shots. I'm running a spotlessly clean CP one piece barrel so I don't think it's that.

Is there a cheap/easy way to throw a regulator on and run this gun at a slightly lower pressure with just the stock valve and a spring kit? Are there any inexpensive low pressure valves available?

"What makes a VM so charming is that you can chop down small trees with it" - Jaan
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

You should be able to get a reg and a spring kit and get it significantly lower pressure on stock parts. I don't think that somewhere in the 400 PSI range would be too hard to achieve.

As to the hook I would look at detents, barrel match, paint quality.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
VoodistMonk

Regulator and spring kit. Start there.

If you want to go further down the rabbit hole than that, a new valve and new bolt may help, depending on what you are looking to achieve.
DavidBoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thunder bum bum

CCM Fan
Kilt Club
Agreed on the reg & spring kit, those can make a big difference. I'd add that you should polish your internals, the stock polishing job from Kingman usually isn't great. In addition, check your paints bore size. If you're shooting a .685 CP and your paint is ranging from .682-.685 you will have noticeable wingers due to the paint going from overbore to matching.
JonnyDread is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

The barrel is .689 and the paint .680 so definitely some overboring going on. It's never been an issue for hooked shots though as far as I can tell from shooting other open bolt electros at lower pressures. Somehow I feel like the high pressure along with the fairly violent action contribute to some of that but who knows, I have been wrong (many times) before.

I'll start out with a spring kit and reg and see how that goes. These guns are insanely under rated. I had just as much fun with the spyder as I did with my autococker and the spyder seems to balance better with a tank and hopper.

"What makes a VM so charming is that you can chop down small trees with it" - Jaan
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thunder bum bum

CCM Fan
Kilt Club
The kick could definitely be a factor, but overboring is usually a good call for STBBs. Also keep in mind that a lot of guns need a bit of a break-in period before they smooth out a bit.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

The TL is a nice marker to tinker with. You can source an EKO valve and that should let you drop pressure easily to 600 psi. You may be able to get it down to 400 psi with spring kits.

The Palmer Female stab will go on the grip and let you keep the rest of the setup as is. This is good because it means you will have a lot of volume before the valve to play with. More volume at a lower psi means you have a lot more room to play with the valve. Should be able to get the springs pretty soft to give you a smooth shot.

Do note that every spyder is different, so one spring setup might not work the same way on another spyder, even being the same model. Lowering operating pressure also doesn't mean a smoother shot. Low pressure means you need more volume to flow, which could require a stronger striker spring to make the valve stay open longer.

That's what is fun about spyders though, easy to tinker with, and not difficult to tune but you can do a lot with it.
Spyder E-MR5 - for those huge scenario games
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Previously blasdgag

Where's a good place to get a spring kit?
Rainmaker's Feedback
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
VoodistMonk

I picked up a 9pc spring kit from ANS for $5.
DavidBoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Thunder bum bum

CCM Fan
Kilt Club
I have a spare THOR if you want a cheap bottomline reg

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Kingman