mcarterbrown.com  

Old 07-13-2019, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Skeet Surfer!

Brass and Wood Fan
Polecat/OtterSC pistol!

So after years of searching for polecat spyder parts after seeing an original my older brother (super-Cameron) used to own, I decided I wanted one of my very own for the collection! I recently required one with quite a bit of backstory apparently, as was passed along to me by pghp8ntballer on here. His google-fu was strong and he pulled up the original owner’s pictures and build log off of none other than OtterSC’s own webpage. As it turns out, the pistol I now own was Otter’s pet project called the “convertable spyder”. He had polecat make up a special feed adapter that takes delta .68 springfed magazines as well as having an original straight feed adapter from Polecat. Both are unfinished steel, but I plan on having them cleaned up and powder-coated to protect them. The fun part is that I even got the original holster that Otter was using with it too!

However, not being content with the plastic frame that was on it (mostly because it was old and cracking around the screw holes) I decided to dig into my parts bins and find a suitable pile of parts for her. I couldn’t locate my stash of AKA parts just yet, but I did find a bunch of the parts I recently got from ScottieB as well as a few bits from my parts bins. I settled on a spyder freak barrel with a shorty brass freak tip from Tymcneer, an NW bolt pull and sissy stick beavertail rva, a metal trigger frame and CCI grip frame, cyclone bolt, and a new main spring. Once I find my AKA parts I might go with a rear cocking cage for it and an aka side cover to protect the internals. I also have some dropout buckets for the quick changer as soon as I can dig them up too. For now though, she looks a bit more finished for my liking.

Here is the link that pghp8ntballer dig up on the original build:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080216...nvertable.html

In her original form from Otter!

And as she currently sits!

In the long run, I will likely mod a black bodied spyder for the pistol to get more of the parts matching and make a new build from the other feed adapter. I need to find some nice grips for it too. Lastly I will figure out the internals so it gets more than the proclaimed 10 shots per 12ie

“Life is full of meetings and partings. That is the way of it.”

Ganon's Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes View Post
Welcome back buddy! And GanonsGrin is your brother? He is the devil

Last edited by GanonsGrin; 07-13-2019 at 10:08 PM.
GanonsGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Paintball is my Obsession

I am curious how you came across this!
Old 07-13-2019, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Skeet Surfer!

Brass and Wood Fan
Lol, it was a random purchase on here. I got them from Sethumich after a bit of a wait for him to relocate them. We both knew they were polecat parts, but that’s about as far as it went. I didn’t know any history on it until you posted your link. He asked me to post up on here so we could see what history anyone else knew about it too.

I’m SUPER excited about this find though. I’ve only ever seen polecat parts one other time in person but my brother foolishly sold it off long ago

Ganon's Feedback

Quote:
Old 07-14-2019, 12:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Class Clown

Great story here! So cool.

My feedback
scottieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
I'm Comin' To Getcha!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanonsGrin View Post
So after years of searching for polecat spyder parts after seeing an original my older brother (super-Cameron) used to own, I decided I wanted one of my very own for the collection! I recently required one with quite a bit of backstory apparently, as was passed along to me by pghp8ntballer on here. His google-fu was strong and he pulled up the original owner’s pictures and build log off of none other than OtterSC’s own webpage. As it turns out, the pistol I now own was Otter’s pet project called the “convertable spyder”. He had polecat make up a special feed adapter that takes delta .68 springfed magazines as well as having an original straight feed adapter from Polecat. Both are unfinished steel, but I plan on having them cleaned up and powder-coated to protect them. The fun part is that I even got the original holster that Otter was using with it too!

However, not being content with the plastic frame that was on it (mostly because it was old and cracking around the screw holes) I decided to dig into my parts bins and find a suitable pile of parts for her. I couldn’t locate my stash of AKA parts just yet, but I did find a bunch of the parts I recently got from ScottieB as well as a few bits from my parts bins. I settled on a spyder freak barrel with a shorty brass freak tip from Tymcneer, an NW bolt pull and sissy stick beavertail rva, a metal trigger frame and CCI grip frame, cyclone bolt, and a new main spring. Once I find my AKA parts I might go with a rear cocking cage for it and an aka side cover to protect the internals. I also have some dropout buckets for the quick changer as soon as I can dig them up too. For now though, she looks a bit more finished for my liking.

Here is the link that pghp8ntballer dig up on the original build:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080216...nvertable.html

In her original form from Otter!

https://i.imgur.com/FmkJgPH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fzChU3q.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cz8Ys9P.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kz1zyS5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cll0iih.jpg

And as she currently sits!

https://i.imgur.com/3r39trV.jpg

In the long run, I will likely mod a black bodied spyder for the pistol to get more of the parts matching and make a new build from the other feed adapter. I need to find some nice grips for it too. Lastly I will figure out the internals so it gets more than the proclaimed 10 shots per 12ie
Very cool! Always wanted to get some of the stuff on Otters site done....my fav was the Spyder cocker he did. Since I just bought a set of Hogue grips yesterday I have a set of Pachmayr Signature grips I don't need if you're interested...would look nice on there. Here they are on my VMXName:  0622191647.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  131.0 KB
LPPC Member #71

Feedback

Join The VM Empire

RIP Jack "Splattttttt" Lo Cicero 1957-2020

Homebrew Stock Class Feeds FS

Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Class Clown

I dislike the plastic grip frames that came on the Spyders, however on a pistol setup they do save weight. I like them for that. Mill off the back half of the top tube and save more weight. I have a couple in the works like that.

My feedback
scottieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Skeet Surfer!

Brass and Wood Fan
The downside to the weight savings is that it puts a lot of stress on the old plastic around the screw mounts though. I think in the long run this will hold up MUCH better, plus Alerstern pointed out Apoc’s k-frame adapter grips for phantoms that should work on this as well. Decisions decisions! I did just snag a compact 2000 black bodied spyder that will be a donor body for these parts as well to black out the rest of it

Ganon's Feedback

Quote:
Old 07-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Still pumpin'

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
That pistol is awesome. I vaguely remember it from way back. Now I do very much recall drooling over one of Pole Cats Spyders from back then. At the time I only got as far as buying a Diamond Labs frame for mine, and I acquired a venturi barrel many years later (and still have it on a build).

As such I demand ;-) that you use that other feed to recreate this build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velcor View Post
Doubt me and I will smite your equipment
OpusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ol' Cheatin' Jonny

Kilt Club
whoa holy throwback
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

nice refined taste OpusX (as is evident by the fuente signature name) lol
i just learned about the 858's and dont think i can go back to the curly heads...

and that spyder is insane. i love the private label spyders.
Tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Kingman