mcarterbrown.com  

Old 12-01-2019, 11:25 AM   #111 (permalink)
Super Legit

The vast majority of tippmann triggers, plastic and flexible. There just is no definitive start and stop points

Raptor silver eagle

I had a piranha trigger snap in half, it was aluminum

All piranha triggers actually. Best case scenario, they are on par with spyder, otherwise they are worse.

The worst thing about Spyder triggers is there is some play to them. (Sarcasm incoming) o look out world! You purchased a $60-160 marker and the trigger isn't perfect. I guess the whole ability for you to now play paintball is ruined on the trigger not being on par with a cs3

^^^ If you are new to the sport and need help finding gear, click here!!!^^^

feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Trbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:09 AM   #112 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
Paintball is a shooting sport.

In shooting sports the most intimate interaction you have with any platform is the trigger.

Mechanical spyders have long, course, unrefined triggers.

The platform is robust, easy to maintain, and has its pluses. But...its hard to think of many markers with a worse trigger than a mech spyder.

A lot of the responses to this post are other STBBs, which I class as spyders for their function.

My first couple markers were Spyders or variants of the STBB. However, I have not purchased one for nearly 20 years.

A casual collector and serious rec player does not live in the Spyder demographic very long. I'm 49 last week; I drink good beer, I drive a luxurious reliable car, and I shoot high end paint out of exceptional markers. These choices aren't social statements, I simply have the means to enjoy some little luxuries. A Spyder does not fill that bill for me.

feedback

https://www.cafepress.com/paintshirt

Cool swag to promote your sport!

Honey badger don't care! Honey badger don't give a @#$%.

Shipped price is valid to domestic buyers and will be USPS priority. International buyers are welcome, but will cover additional costs. Insurance costs are included. If you prefer an uninsured package, you the buyer will assume all risk once I ship.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #113 (permalink)
MCB Member

You can modify the trigger as much as you want, or get a aftermarket one with screws to set stops, but it's a trip seer marker, so it will always feel the same.

It's not like these are dual action weighted triggers. "Modern" markers I'd argue aren't really any better. You have ones that trip solenoids that might have minimum travel and you have electric tripped triggers, which just click.

Spyders have electric triggers too that just click. I've got one that practically bounces itself on the microswitch that rolls as easy as the one on a PE 160R.

When you get into mechanical vs mechanical I don't think the trigger matters that much. you can get it to feel awesome, or ignore it completely. You'll learn to shoot it and that's what is needed.

I shot a dual action H8R revolver recently. A much more complicated trigger system than a Spyder trigger, and I thought it was awful. Heavy, cumbersome, and difficult to squeeze the shot accurately. A sloppy simple seer tripper trigger by comparison was far easier to simply pull.

No, I don't recommend buying a Spyder today, I recommend an Emek, which has a trigger that doesn't feel like anything.

Magfed Hurricane with T15 Mags
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:39 PM   #114 (permalink)
Kingman Whore

I just rebuilt a "current" Spyder Victor last night and it is a joke. This thing bears the Spyder name but is missing the Kingman umph. All this one has proven to me is that it still has all the airflow issues that my Targa (from the early 90s!) had and a bunch of wide tolerances that don't help the case at all. The double trigger is ultra sloppy in all directions and even clacks against grip frame in a way that doesn't feel right. Previous generations have proven that a regged HPA tank at 800psi will let it cycle without any issues as they had enough volume to handle the blowback, rather than using raw expansion with Co2. While there are interesting add-ons and tweaks that are welcome changes (if they were implemented properly, like the integrated RVA/mainspring guide...) they would help solidify the platform as a contender.

Now that I've recently touched a more current unit, it just helps solidify that it's Kingman or nothing when it comes to STBBs.
My Feedback
ChoSanJuan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:58 PM   #115 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignOfZeta View Post
I swear I won’t dump in Walmart guns anymore but the comparison to Honda, a 90s Honda even which were possibly the most reliable cars ever built, just seemed like an accidental insult. Honda’s way of doing things isn’t “copy someone else’s design, off shore manufacture it for brutally low prices and flood the market with as many as possible”. They build every car well. Always. No sweatshops. They don’t need special maintenance, they need far below average maintenance in fact. They’re like Phantoms, really. Performance is low but they rarely reach for anything they can’t absolutely achieve usually leaving the owner with total confidence no matter what. The only actually bad Civic was the original and basically everything sucked back then.
My comparison wasn't a dump on either Hondas or Kingman.
Former Civic HB tuner and current Integra GSR driver.

The out of the box Civic and Spyder both left a little performance to be desired (as they were intended)... you gotta at least admit that.

Last edited by maggot; 12-02-2019 at 03:06 PM.
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:10 PM   #116 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Paintball is a shooting sport.

In shooting sports the most intimate interaction you have with any platform is the trigger.

Mechanical spyders have long, course, unrefined triggers.

The platform is robust, easy to maintain, and has its pluses. But...its hard to think of many markers with a worse trigger than a mech spyder.
Honestly, as others have said, the trigger can be greatly improved over stock. I know first hand the same can be said for a Tippmann but, of course, no mechanical trigger will compare to an electro. But with all of that said:

Paintballs are nowhere near accurate enough (even out of the highest end marker) for a trigger to make a lick of a difference to anything other than 'feeling'.

Quote:
A lot of the responses to this post are other STBBs, which I class as spyders for their function.

My first couple markers were Spyders or variants of the STBB. However, I have not purchased one for nearly 20 years.

A casual collector and serious rec player does not live in the Spyder demographic very long. I'm 49 last week; I drink good beer, I drive a luxurious reliable car, and I shoot high end paint out of exceptional markers. These choices aren't social statements, I simply have the means to enjoy some little luxuries. A Spyder does not fill that bill for me.
I know folks who have competed and played regularly with an Azodin Kaos
(after playing with nearly every other significant marker and, even some high end electros) and have been perfectly happy and capable. I'm not saying that someone has to 'step down, sideways or whatever' to one, rather that the early Spyders (from their start at least until their electro triggered ones) did not deserve the outright hate and shunning that they received. They, and many other derivative guns are perfectly capable and would hold their own in a mechanical tournament.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #117 (permalink)

i dont believe that they deserve any hate or shame (like a stingray II or Talon should get) BUT; i also dont believe they should really get any praise either. They were never designed to be a high end or "pinnacle" marker. They were there only to meet a price point and be modified.

were talking PRE KEE models.
Tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:21 PM   #118 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

I hate to see all the hate for spyders and Tippmanns now. You have to remember that when they were the big thing in paintball for the younger/poorer crowd there wasn't much above them. If you went up in price you pretty much got Autocockers or 'Mags which weren't much faster, just had nicer triggers.

On top of that I never had a name brand Spyder or Tippmann that didn't work flawlessly. I saw some guys with e-trigger guns that were blenders but if you stuck to the mech guns they were rock solid, even for being cheaper guns.

Should they get the respect they're due? Sure, they were a gun at a certain time period and in a certain niche that were absolutely the best. You could buy a Spyder and a decent barrel and be pretty much the most dominant force in the back yard or patch of woods at the end of the block with your friends. For serious use, no they are very much outdated and poorly made now. BUT still to this day I feel that if you get an engaged young player who can clean equipment and do maintenance (just like with a higher end gun) a Spyder is still a very competitive gun on the rental/walk-on field.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:32 PM   #119 (permalink)
MCB Member

The word "hate" keeps creeping into the conversation.

I like Spyders, tippmans, and other starter markers just fine, it's just a conditional affection. Akin to the girl that's a "friend with benefits".

Neither will ever be my #1, and the reasons are numerous.

My first 3 markers were a Terminator , a Shutter, and a Flash. None of them every had a problem bad enough it cost me a day of play. That is my greatest love for House Kingman.

feedback

https://www.cafepress.com/paintshirt

Cool swag to promote your sport!

Honey badger don't care! Honey badger don't give a @#$%.

Shipped price is valid to domestic buyers and will be USPS priority. International buyers are welcome, but will cover additional costs. Insurance costs are included. If you prefer an uninsured package, you the buyer will assume all risk once I ship.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:11 PM   #120 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZRBAKK View Post
ok boomer
LOL. I thought that was a zoomer reserved phrase.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Kingman