mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Literature (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/literature/)
-   -   zombie books (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/literature/185337-zombie-books.html)

usagi_tetsu 01-17-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Hick (Post 2167718)
Yes and No. The vampires in the book act more or less like zombies, but with the stereotypical stake to the heart type stuff. The book is unlike any zombie/vampire story you have ever read. Although it probably doesn't need to be said it's practically nothing like the movie.

Which movie? They've made more movie adaptations of this book, I think, than any other book out there. The Last Man on Earth in 1964, The Omega Man in 1971, I Am Legend in 2007, and I Am Omega also in 2007 (straigt to video and starring Mark Dacascos... that just screams quality right there). That's a lot of different movies all off of just one book.

Russki - Don't apologize, if you don't like those books, don't like them. I fully admit Priest's series is far more steampunk than it is zombie. Though by the third book, Dreadnought, the Rotters (the zombies in Priest's world) are not just in the ruins of Seattle. Just got Ganymede, which I'll read after my current book, waiting to see if she ups the zombie-quotient some more.

As for the Grant books, they are set 20 years after the start of the zombpocalypse, and due to all of the zombie movies and other fiction, humanity has come into a stalemate with the infected. However, by the end of book two, Deadline, that's all changing. I won't go into spoilers, but it's changing.

desertT1 01-17-2012 09:56 AM

I haven't read too much for personal activity since going back to school. However, it looks like I might have to find a book or two from those mentioned and have, just in case. ;)

Ghostpilot 01-23-2012 04:58 AM

I do not know if this has been mentioned here or not, but I want to recommend "Toothless" by J. P. Moore. It's a zombie story playing out in medieval times. How cool is that?
Find out more here: J P Moore online dot com.

EDIT: You can get Toothless as a free podiobook to listen to in your portable device. It's quite good. I listen to it while I am working.

Speaking of podcasts and audiobooks. I also want to recommend the audio drama podcast called "We are alive". It's a zombie apocalypse story that has a somewhat new take on the zombies behavior. Check it out at the zombie podcast dot com.

Ghostpilot 01-23-2012 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJOttawa (Post 2168212)
Ah, Blade, Hickock and Geronimo. I've read the whole Endworld series.

It was even translated into Swedish. I have all books that were translated into Swedish. The titles however weren't so masterfully translated though. Example: Greenbay Run = Terror i Greenbay. ("i" is a swedish word. It means "in" or "inside"). So the Swedish titles were always a huge tipoff on the end of the book. Irritating to say the least.

Ghostpilot 01-25-2012 01:28 PM

Here is a trailer for Toothless.
I highly recommend you to listen to it, or buy the paperback book and read it for yourself. I thought it was very entertaining with a new twist to the zombie apocalypse.

BlitzkriegUDF 01-31-2012 11:37 PM

Jonathan Maberry has a good series of novels with the character Joe Ledger in them. The first 1 is called Patient Zero. It's a good zombie read. I also recommend day by day armageddon. I know the second part of that series just came out recently.

usagi_tetsu 02-12-2012 04:32 PM

Next zombie novel is going to be a Jonathan Maberry book, but I'm going for Rot & Ruin. I'll get around to the Joe Ledge books eventually, but I liked the looks of this one better.

Just finished up Cherie Priest's Ganymede. Again, more steampunk than zombie, but I think she's building up the whole series towards dealing with the zombie situation in that world, as they're starting to gather in great numbers other places than Seattle. Have to wait, though, as she hasn't published book 5 yet.

HP_Lovecraft 03-02-2012 01:22 PM

With the recomendation here, I picked up "World War Z" a few weeks back, and thought it was great. The style was interesting, though I'd prefer it as a more linear story. Still an interesting read.

Put me in a zombie mood, so I reread "I am Legend". Still great. So then I picked up "City of the Dead". I'm about half way through, and I can honestly say its complete crap. The writing was terrible. The pacing/plotline was poorly written, and predictable. I'm not sure if I'll bother to finish it since I'm sure how the last 1/2 will play out.

indyjrt 03-08-2012 02:49 PM

I listened to World War Z (on CD) during my commute. All star cast, doing the reading of the different characters, Mark Hamill was one.....

joanmak 09-21-2012 10:27 PM

I liked World War Z, but not as good as Keene's Rising or Ellington's Zombie University, which as a short, but fun, read.