mcarterbrown.com  

Literature Books - What are you reading or writing? Share what you have also!

Old 02-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

If you can find Speer's book that's a good start, but follow it with a look by the book Erhard Milch wrote, I think it was the "the rise and fall of the Luftwaffe" He was a number cruncher and a production person so it's a different view then what Speer might offer.
dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fire Avatar by Flounder

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
A trick I learned too late to use in college:
1. Read the Wikipedia article.
2. Obtain the sources referenced therein.

There's actually a decent discussion on the costs of the V2, and a point that the Luftwaffe's limiting factor was aviation fuel, so a straightforward comparison of the costs between aircraft and V2 rockets isn't necessarily useful. Apparently the rocket program costs more than the Americans' Manhattan Project, and there's an interesting quote about von Braun being an asset to the allies for all the Nazi resources he consumed.

Anyway, you can't directly reference Wikipedia, of course, but you can follow the sources back to very useful information.
A: Society sucks

Join us next time for another episode of Existential MCB
Feedback

CAX

I am "SPARE EDDIE"
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Has too much crap

My brother who is quite knowledgeable about all this stuff said to ask here: Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums - Powered by vBulletin
You might get good results there.
smiffington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
A trick I learned too late to use in college:
1. Read the Wikipedia article.
2. Obtain the sources referenced therein.

There's actually a decent discussion on the costs of the V2, and a point that the Luftwaffe's limiting factor was aviation fuel, so a straightforward comparison of the costs between aircraft and V2 rockets isn't necessarily useful. Apparently the rocket program costs more than the Americans' Manhattan Project, and there's an interesting quote about von Braun being an asset to the allies for all the Nazi resources he consumed.

Anyway, you can't directly reference Wikipedia, of course, but you can follow the sources back to very useful information.
And pair this with https://books.google.com/

Or, do a search for the title of the book with pdf at the end to see if you can find a downloadable copy of the book. (be careful as there are lots of trick spyware sites designed to catch people up searching for books). Most of the books you find are out of copyright and legal to download, some may be still copyrighted.

The Sturmgewehr assault rifle was another project highlighting the German incompetence and bureaucracy, especially towards the end of the war. Since so much of the western front was an infantry war it could of had a major boost to the Germans if it had gone into production quicker.

Last edited by theangrydragon; 02-22-2015 at 02:49 PM.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Closer to home.....

CCM Fan
Should also look at the German Navy failures to up production and compete in the Atlantic as well. Donitz was unable to get to his ideal number of U-boats and the German surface fleet also completely pulled back from the Atlantic shortly after declaring war on the US. The effect of this is that they lost the Battle of the Atlantic and that dimension of warfare as the allies were able to get men, equipment, and ammunition to mount the D-day invasion and continue strategic bombing campaigns. Everything on land and air hinged on winning the Atlatic. The V rockets went to attack the will of the Brits, but failed to have the desired effects as much as an effective naval blockade would have had.

But, I'm biased...

My Feedback: Here on MCB BigEvilOnline Automags.org PaintBallNation
Zondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

Here are a number of articles and audio video files from the Mises institute. I am not exactly sure what you are looking for but i hope it helps.

Search | Mises Institute

WTB my old Smart Parts shocker V sport. I sold it at Showtime paintball where I worked and it came with a Midnight Purple all American barrel Maxflow 68/45 and a Worm mods delerin bolt. If you have it PM me please.
tommyf350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

While none of the books below were written about the German economics of the war there are a lot of references to the debacle created by the mismanagement of the war, war materials and other assets. I have another book about the jet and rocket planes of WWII but can not seem to locate it but one of the main reasons for the delay of the entry of the me262 was due to Hitler insistence on it being developed into a bomber. Also don't do you research just from the Nazi/German viewpoint there is a lot of information especially intelligence assessments that will help you with your topic.

Soldiers of Destruction [The SS Death's Head Division, 1935-1945] - Charles W. Sydnor, Jr.
Weapons and Fighting Tactics of the Waffen-SS - Dr. S. Hart & Dr. R. Hart
German Tanks of World War II - Dr. S. Hart & Dr. R. Hart
Stalingrad, the fateful siege: 1942-1943 - Antony Beevor
Panzer Commander, the memoirs of Colonel Hans von Luck - Hans von Luck

By the way I'm willing to loan you the books above and anything else I have can find in my library. I'm an amateur military historian but most of my information stops pre-20th century but what I have I'll share.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:20 AM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

No idea if this is geo blocked,
Nazi Megastructures S1 Ep3 - V2 Rocket Bases | Factual | SBS On Demand

I watched it a couple of days ago. Mentioned some stuff about the cost of the V2 project, nothing hard, but maybe some insight to be had.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #19 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
Not a History buff myself, but it occured to me you might want to ask around in WWII renacment forums. Those guys usually nitpick about all kinds of details.
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
While none of the books below were written about the German economics of the war there are a lot of references to the debacle created by the mismanagement of the war, war materials and other assets. I have another book about the jet and rocket planes of WWII but can not seem to locate it but one of the main reasons for the delay of the entry of the me262 was due to Hitler insistence on it being developed into a bomber. Also don't do you research just from the Nazi/German viewpoint there is a lot of information especially intelligence assessments that will help you with your topic.

Soldiers of Destruction [The SS Death's Head Division, 1935-1945] - Charles W. Sydnor, Jr.
Weapons and Fighting Tactics of the Waffen-SS - Dr. S. Hart & Dr. R. Hart
German Tanks of World War II - Dr. S. Hart & Dr. R. Hart
Stalingrad, the fateful siege: 1942-1943 - Antony Beevor
Panzer Commander, the memoirs of Colonel Hans von Luck - Hans von Luck

By the way I'm willing to loan you the books above and anything else I have can find in my library. I'm an amateur military historian but most of my information stops pre-20th century but what I have I'll share.
Seriously? That would be great!

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Literature