mcarterbrown.com  

Literature Books - What are you reading or writing? Share what you have also!

Old 07-14-2015, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Kindle is more expensive than paperback?

Name:  Kindle is more.png
Views: 229
Size:  11.9 KB

So what's the point of cheap electronic format if it's going to cost me more? I pay for the device... It costs them next to nothing to deliver it and store it vs. warehousing and inventorying a book and then paying someone to grab it and ship it to me for free second day air...

Looks like the consumer is the one getting screwed here.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Yeah I was an early adopter of ebooks and that has been the case more often than not there have also been ebooks that aren't released until long after the paperbook. It's kind of a strange strategy with the pricing when I can literally download the entire New York Times bestseller list for free should I be so inclined.
Agglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Villiage Idiot

Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Because people don't want to be inconvenienced by actually owning a book and turning pages
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Someone ban that painthappy dude
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Proud Member of UCSF

Digital comics and physical comics cost the same so I always buy the physical copy since they often come with a digital copy as well. then I get my digital copy for the convenience to read on the run, it fits in my pocket and I can carry lots at once. A physical copy can hold its value with the potential to become a collectable but since you cant transfer digital copies they have no value once purchased.
Butch3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

For me I like my Kindle not because of necessarily cost savings but for convenience. I travel a fair amount and my favorite pastime is reading so with a Kindle I can carry pretty much my whole collection with me and to get a new book I just need Wifi access.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

What book is this? I have never seen a book available for my kindle that was not at least 15% cheaper than a paperback.
RaggedyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
slowly coming back around

It's all about the deal that the author's agent made with the publisher that made the deal with Amazon. Nothing in the book publishing industry makes sense.

The problem with America is that we confuse our politics for religion, and our religions for science.

Check out my current sale and my feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
(V) (o,,,o) (V) WOOP WOOP

The whole 'Digital media will be cheaper!' thing was a lie across the board from day one anyways. Ebooks are not alone in this.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

I'm pretty sure Publishers have never liked nor wanted ebooks, a lot of authors, including a few I quite respect have been old stodgy dinosaurs about ebooks from day one.

I've found that often ebooks are cheaper than the hardcover new releases, but they never get a price adjustment when the dead tree version goes paperback. because, to be honest, they don't want them to be anyway. because ebooks are so easy to pirate...so of course what happens is when you intentionally make something cost prohibitive, people end up pirating it anyway, more so, I'd wager. my experience has largely been that if you make something digitally available at a good price, and easy to buy, then especially bibliophiles will be more than happy to pay for it. me I usually buy dead tree books, and I "acquire" the digital version for my nook
Amoryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

I think most libraries are on the "Overdrive" network, allowing them to "lend" you EBooks, and AudioBooks for free. You just download them, and delete them when you are done.

I've got 100's of audiobooks from the local library, and have not set foot in there in probobly 10 years! lol

Carter, your "Whipple" Library is on Overdrive, you should be able to get most any EBook, or Audiobook for free.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Literature