mcarterbrown.com  

Literature Books - What are you reading or writing? Share what you have also!

Old 07-22-2017, 01:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
Not Northern per Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawbutter View Post
I can read a draft too. I'm not going to be very busy in August
Lazy *** teachers
Old 07-22-2017, 08:20 PM   #22 (permalink)
trophy husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive View Post
Lazy *** teachers

Actually I'm a house wife now. Need to update my profile.
rawbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:50 AM   #23 (permalink)
Not Northern per Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawbutter View Post
Actually I'm a house wife now. Need to update my profile.
Hey I can dig it. I would be the one staying home if we have kids too
Old 07-26-2017, 01:33 AM   #24 (permalink)
Confronting the Shadow

Thanks, guys! I'll keep ya updated as the process moves forward. Beta readers - you'll be receiving PMs from me at some point

Feedback

"Come on you apes. You want to live forever?" -Johnny Rico
"The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed." -Stephen King, The Gunslinger
packersrule729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:13 PM   #25 (permalink)
Daddy

Sorry for the semi-necro, but it seems relevant. Good information in this thread.
I have two questions...

1) Packersrule, How is it all going?

2) I've always had a knack for writing, and recently have decided to start putting some stories to paper...well... computer. They're just short stories comprised of my misadventures. It's humor, often self-deprecating. Think...David Sedaris... but ykno, without success and the drugs of the 80's.

Where would a person share a few of the short stories with strangers, who won't lie, or ykno...steal the material? (I mean that in the least arrogant way possible...It may not even be worth stealing...)

My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #26 (permalink)
trophy husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Where would a person share a few of the short stories with strangers, who won't lie, or ykno...steal the material? (I mean that in the least arrogant way possible...It may not even be worth stealing...)
It might not even be worth stealing.

As for the meat of your question, it depends on what you're looking for.

If you're looking for feedback and constructive criticism to improve your writing, it's very hard to find that kind of support for free. There might be some kind of writer's circle in your area that meets regularly, but that's a give-and-take kind of deal. You can bring a story for them to critique, but they're going to bring stories too, so you've got to be willing to read some other things that might not interest you. There are also online versions of this. The biggest one I know about it is Amazon's CreateSpace, but it can be hard to get noticed there. Everyone on that site is looking to get help, not give it, so most pleas for criticism are met with only a few responses and aren't useful.

You could, alternatively, start asking friends or family to read your material, especially the ones with the right background. I've had more luck with this. My best critics are my sister (an avid reader who published her own poetry "zine" in college) and my roommate from college (a film major who now works as a director/producer in the commercial industry). Both of them have enough training in story-telling to identify weaknesses in my plot, pacing, characters, etc, but they won't ask me to read something in return. They seem to be happy enough just being the first people to read something new. They can be very slow on the turn-around, though.

If, however, you're only hoping to get your stories out somewhere and don't care about feedback, then there are many opportunities. Most newspapers have a submissions page where anyone can submit a story. There are also loads of short story magazines and contests. You could go to a website like Poets and Writers, for instance, and sign up for their email newsletter to start getting a feel for what is out there.

And in all of this, you don't really have to worry about someone else stealing your stuff. It's not as common as you might think. In today's day and age, with digital timestamps and social media, it's easy to catch thieves and easier to prove that you're the true author. Furthermore, no self-respecting publisher would ever try to steal your material. If they ever got caught, they would be finished. And besides, they're not interested in stealing content to sell only once. They're far more interested in selling your stuff and encouraging you to write more (assuming you're good) and then taking their cut over and over again.

Last edited by rawbutter; 07-15-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #27 (permalink)
Daddy

Thanks for the input, and thankfully, I have a good editor!

I’ve sent them to friends and family. As I mentioned above, they’re more along the lines of diary entries. Of course, friends and family think they’re good. Uhhhh. A few are really short, just a page or two. Maybe I’ll post in the members section... they’re just amusing, a quick read, ha ha, I’ve experienced that too! And move on...

I’ll look around those links you shared though.
As far as sharing it, I suppose I could always throw them on a website for peoples reading pleasure. The intent was not to make money, but to entertain. I thought it would be cool to be like, “I have a book!” (Even if I self published! Ha)

My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:18 PM   #28 (permalink)
trophy husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
The intent was not to make money, but to entertain. I thought it would be cool to be like, I have a book! (Even if I self published! Ha)
Self publishing has gotten really easy. You can do it on CreateSpace for free, practically. You only have to pay for the copies you want.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Literature