mcarterbrown.com  

Mag Fed A special section just for all your magazine fed guns and projects

Old 11-03-2015, 07:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Grand Poobah

CCM Fan
Milsig M17 honest critique?

I've been looking to replace the AT-10 as my "Oh S***" magfed setup- Basically a small magfed marker that can be pulled out in times of desperation to lay down some paint when playing with limited paint setups. While the AT-10 was awesome for this (small, light, and held 30ish rounds easy), the potential lack of parts in the future had me looking for something new.

First thought was a Dye Dam, but between the mags being too small (10 shots, flip, 10 shots) to be useful, and the upfront cost being insane, decided to look elsewhere. When I heard that the M17 had a mechanical full auto I thought I may have finally found my replacement!

Couple questions: How is it honestly? I've seen a few reviews on line but they mostly just seem to be unboxing, these things have been out long enough that there should be a solid long term review. Next question is- front shroud removable? Obviously looking to see if I can shrink it down to AT10 size (or smaller!)
Redbeard the Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
All Hail Harb!

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
I would get the Milsig SMG. It's 2-3 inches shorter and they're running a deal right now where it comes with 4 gen 3 zetamags.

The M17 is solid without a doubt but I prefer the compactness of the SMG.

The front shroud is removable. They sell an adapter where you can put any AR-15 freefloating handguard on the M17 or SMG.

There should be some sort of review online on it. It probably is the most popular magfed gun other than the TPX or T8/9 lines.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

FWIW, the AT10 weighs about one half to one third of what the M17 SMG weighs, and the 10 flip 10 zeta mags are no match for an ATS 25 continuous magazine.

The m17 is a solid platform, but (in my humble opinion) the ATS is still superior.
(And I've got a literal pile if parts right now, so if you need anything give me a shout).

My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Has too much crap

I had two m17 cqcs that I sold before I ever got a chance to shoot. I had an xdc that worked great the first time I used it, but the two times after that it was an absolute blender. I was using the same paint too, so I have no idea. To be fair, I had taken the thing apart to clean it, so I may have had something out of alignment, but I can't think of what.
smiffington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Not exactly a long term review, but hopefully a bit more than the unboxing crap.

I played with my M17 Elite for the first time at Fulda Gap. I put between 800-1000 rounds through it. Overall it shot great. Accurate, fairly quiet, and very consistent (+/- 3 fps) right out of the box with the stock barrel. No feeding issues at all, and I used the 20 round mags and only shot regular paint.

A few things to consider:

1) It's pretty heavy. At first I really liked this since it has sort of a real steel feel. By the end of the day, I liked it a lot less. I am not super tall (5'9"), and when I was a little more tired, it was sort of awkward to carry when walking back and forth to the dead zone since there isn't a good place to carry it by. You either have the fore grip/ mag well area, or the pistol grip, which got pretty low to the ground. Luckily, it comes with a reversible sling mount, and a cheap one point fixed that problem.

2) Air usage. This isn't really a problem, but just something to think about, especially for scenarios. The tank in stock is great, but I was getting right at 130 shots at 275 FPS. I am used to playing stock class, so I don't shoot a ton, but I basically had air for my 5 mags, and then no matter what was going on, I was headed back to the staging area to fill up. For regular weekend play or megfed days/leagues, this wouldn't be a problem, but it got a little repetitive for a large scenario. Obviously not a negative, but I had only thought about the air capacity for regular play, not scenarios, which I play a lot of.

3) Tank in stock is nice, but sighting is difficult with my JT mask. Using the iron sights was not possible, and you couldn't really aim down the barrel from the top either. I found that the marker aimed fairly quickly and intuitively, so I didn't have a problem getting 2nd and 3rd shot eliminations, but my 1st shot was frequently a bit off since I am used to aiming down sights or a barrel.

4) Breaks. I had exactly one break/chop. The gun shot through it and worked flawlessly, but cleaning was a hassle. Paint obviously got into the mag, which I didn't really think about cleaning when I was loading back up. This obviously had bad results with accuracy, and got broken paint and shell on a lot of good paintballs. When I took the mag apart, paint was all the way through the whole mag, and that was only for one ball. The good news is that the mags are pretty easy to take apart and clean, and even with the paint in there, I had zero feeding issues.

Overall I really like this gun, and I think it was a good buy. It gives me a good option in between stock class and hopper semi. Everything worked the way it was supposed to, and I was really happy with it's on field performance. The few things I didn't like aren't really problems with the gun, but rather points I wish I thought about a little more.

I was between the SMG, Paralite, and Elite. I love these 20 round mags compared to Zetas, but I think in hindsight I would have chosen the smaller, more compact Paralite. Full auto is neat (and came in handy a couple of times), but I could certainly live without it.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have had my M17 CQC for about a year now and I love it. The front shroud is removable, but on the CQC model the front shroud is nylon polymer and extremely light. It feels great, is extremely consistent (+/-2 FPS once broken in) and the full auto is nice. I have only broken paint in it twice, and both times were because I was using regular paint in the 18 round First Strike mag, which you should not do. I have never broken paint in the 20 round mags using GI Sportz 3-star and Field.

If you want a smaller, lighter marker, go with the Milsig SMG, or just get a TiPX. The M17 will shoot 20 rounds without flipping the mag, but the SMG is indeed smaller and lighter.
humancarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

Having held an SMG, I cannot believe it'd be lighter than a CQC. Maybe the same, but that SMG isn't light by any interpretation.

(I just checked the Milsig page. The SMG is 0.2 lbs heavier than the cqc)

My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordkyleofearth View Post
Having held an SMG, I cannot believe it'd be lighter than a CQC. Maybe the same, but that SMG isn't light by any interpretation.

(I just checked the Milsig page. The SMG is 0.2 lbs heavier than the cqc)
Huh. I never would have guessed the SMG would be heavier than the CQC. It's definitely smaller. That's a bit odd. I hope they release a lightweight polymer version like the CQC. I would be all over that.
humancarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
All Hail Harb!

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by humancarpenter View Post
Huh. I never would have guessed the SMG would be heavier than the CQC. It's definitely smaller. That's a bit odd. I hope they release a lightweight polymer version like the CQC. I would be all over that.
I own both. The SMG is a little bit heavier, but it's made out of metal.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

M17 - Weight: 2.25KG / 5.0 lbs
M17 Elite - Weight: 2.65KG / 5.8 lbs
SMG - Weight: 2.36KG / 5.2 lbs
M4 5.56mm Carbine - Weight: 2.88KG / 6.36 lbs [empty]
H&K G36 - Weight: 3.63KG / 8.00 lbs [empty]

Buckup boys they ain't that heavy

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Mag Fed