mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Grand Poobah

CCM Fan
Redbeard's overly detailed review of the 3DPaintballDesigns Speed loader

Found this fancy little gadget while playing around on ebay and thought I'd give it a shot.

Quick description: 3D printed lid for pursuit pods (included in the purchase) that have detents to assist in quick reloading of mags. Company has them available for practically all mag fed markers but this review will specifically focus on the TIPX version.

Purchasing: Bought mine straight through ebay, with standard shipping it only took 5 days to get from east to west coast so that went well. I opted for the "low profile" option, through ebay messaging the seller told me he recommended the low profile for reloading on field, standard if you're just refilling between games. I could hardly see a difference between the two so I just went for the smaller of the two options.

Unboxing: I will save you the boredom- it came in a simple cardboard box, was packaged well, and the speedfeed was already installed on the pursuit pod! Saves me a little bit of time. The company also includes the stock pursuit pod lit and mounting hardware. I guess in case you don't like the reloader you still get a pursuit pod out of the deal? It was appreciated but probably unnecessary. I guess what else are they going to do with it?

Use: Right out of the box it is good to go, I grabbed my paint I bought just for this review and my TIPX mags. Filling it up is pretty straight forward-

You can either poor paint into the pod slowly so it fills the channels.

But this method sucks, paint goes EVERYWHERE unless you have a third hand to work as a paint splashguard.

The other option (and my new favorite) is to take a 50 round pod full of paint and lean it into the open pursuit pod and spin a little bit slowly.

Once the pod is full you snap the lid shut, and grab your mag!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZJDmSjCE0g
The video pretty much takes over from here, it's pretty straight forward, just don't forget to latch your springs in your mags back before you try to fill . I'm not the brightest crayon in the box when I'm sleep deprived.

While I am overall very happy with the purchase- at this step I found my first slight annoyance:

There is nothing connecting the dust shield/lid to the rest of the speedfeeder. Dealbreaker? Not even a little bit, but a slight annoyance that could have been remedied with a couple holes and a little bit of string. Small parts are annoying to try to keep tabs of, especially for those of us that actually reload mid-game. I may still do some sort of tether mod, but the other solution is just to do this:

Keeps the paint in the pod, but I guess there is a little bit of a worry of contaminants getting to the paint (not really a huge concern as TIPX mags already have the paint exposed to the elements when not in gun). The other concern would be pulling the pod out and rotating the lid enough to dump a chamber worth of paint. Also not a huge deal but worth mentioning.

The other super slight annoyance is this:

What? Don't see it? The middle chamber in the pursuit pod is unusable. This is obviously due to the design of the reloader lid, and the reason I list it as an annoyance instead of an actual design flaw is that just thinking about it for 2 seconds you realize there really isn't any way to put that channel to use. So while it is annoying it is obviously something I can deal with. Worse case scenario I have an extra 7 paintballs I can manually reload with later, or pour into another channel after the others are empty.
**Update**
Looks like 3dPaintballDesigns already thought of this, mixed into my spare parts from the pursuit pod was this little piece:

So good for them! That being said, I'm probably going to keep using mine for spare paint just in case.

Another cool part in the spare parts was a spare hinge! I'm glad I took another look at that bag.

The last slightly annoying thing about these is limited by the design of the TIPX magazine: the ball follower has an additional spring powered lead in it that has to be manually pushed down when you are hand loading magazines. Because you are not putting any pressure on the ball stack with these the last ball sticks out and has to be pushed the last little bit into the mag-

Once again- slight annoyance, but even adding up all 3 criticisms of the system I am incredibly happy with it!

The positives are fairly obvious- reloading between (or in) games was always a little bit annoying, this inexpensive product streamlines the process and makes reloading on or off the field a breeze. I'll have to put in some long term use to see how well it holds up to abuse, but as it sits I am very satisfied with my purchase. Reloading mags has gone from a 5-10 min process (I have a lot of mags okay?!) to just over a minute-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kqevLFbqjw
Sorry for the terrible angle, should have checked that first, I lost 3 balls while trying to reload. Also all of the mags had their springs lowered prior to starting to film.

Another quick advantage I found was also UNLOADING mags. Maybe I'm weird but even with no ball pressure on the stack with TIPX mags I still prefer to empty them at the end of a day of play. This thing works great for that as well, just reverse the process and you can empty 6 mags in under a minute without wasting a shot.

Lastly, I found an unexpected bonus for those of you who go through a lot of paint:

I plan on adhering the lid of the 50 round pod to the bottom of the pursuit pod, and dremmeling off the hinge and tab to fit nicely in a standard pod pack! That means I will be able to carry enough paint to quickly reload around 14 magazines quickly while on the field and only take up a single pod size molle attachement on my belt . I guess you could even take a larger pod and cut it down a little bit and carry even more paint, but I'll probably just stick to that setup.

Update:

Shaved off the extra width from the latch and hinge and attached the two with some industrial grade velcro, works like a champ!

So far I love this thing, but as I mentioned earlier I will be updating this review after it gets more in game use. But for the (as of right now) $35 shipped (including the pursuit pod) I am very happy with my purchase. Let me know if you have any questions!

Purchase here:
3dpaintballdesigns on eBay

Last edited by Redbeard the Pirate; 12-03-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Redbeard the Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Contacting them myself about a custom request. Hopefully they're willing to work with me.

Edit- Failing to contact them because ebay is EXTREMELY THOROUGH at blocking email addresses in messages. Does anyone have direct contact info for these guys? The commission I'm trying to get them to do requires more explanation than a 300-character ebay message can provide.
FEEDBACK

Last edited by PistolRogue; 12-05-2015 at 10:42 AM.
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
All Hail Harb!

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
i like what you did with the pod connected to the pursuit pod.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grand Poobah

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
Contacting them myself about a custom request. Hopefully they're willing to work with me.

Edit- Failing to contact them because ebay is EXTREMELY THOROUGH at blocking email addresses in messages. Does anyone have direct contact info for these guys? The commission I'm trying to get them to do requires more explanation than a 300-character ebay message can provide.
I will send them a message, have a pretty good back and forth going with them.

Edit: 3dpaintballdesign@gmail.com

Last edited by Redbeard the Pirate; 12-07-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Redbeard the Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Old Slow Fat Guy

Hmmmmm....

With slight modification, would these work for loading a spring tube feed? Or should I invest in a bunch of ten round tubes?

This would be for an extended round, back bottle Houndstooth.

Un2XS Feedback

The (Infamous) Woodsball Manifesto by Rob "Tyger" Rubin

Real heros don't wear spandex. - Mel Gibson

Nothing is impossible. Some things just take longer. - David Chase
Un2xs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hometown Heroes

These are awesome. Great idea.
bdunbar52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Phantom Lords

CCM Fan
great review!

my feedback
Reloadro is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It