MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Midget Enthusiast
Send a message via AIM to cfos00

Yong Heng 300BAR 4500PSI Air Compressor

I am reviewing the Yong Heng Air Pump. This is a small air compressor that was made to fill air tanks at home without the need for a secondary compressor or any form of air tanks. I've had it for about a week, and filled tanks a few times now. Here is how it has performed thus far.

Initial Set Up
When the compressor arrived, it came with minimal assembly required, and a handful of parts bags. The largest thing in the box was obviously the compressor itself. It also had the two tubes used for the water pump. The water pump itself was also in a separate bag, as were spare consumable parts. Those parts included extra filters and o-rings. Rounding out the box were the air pressure release screw and the air hose/quick disconnect, along with a pressure release plug.

Assembly took about five minutes and was really simple, even with the very basic manual written in the manufacturer's second language. The English might not be perfect, but it's close enough. The air pressure release screw is that black knob that you see beneath the air hose, which you attach as shown above. I used blue locktite on the air hose, as it seemed a bit loose, which is exactly what you don't want. I don't know that it would have been a problem, but I would rather not know that it is. The pump hoses slide onto the barbs on the cooling pump, with the lower tube going into the submersible water pump. That little fella is crucial to the set up, as it cools the air compressor and keeps it from destroying itself with heat. The last thing that you'll need to put on is the pressure relief plug. It goes in the in the front area above the oil meter, and is what you take on/off to fill the compressor. Screw that puppy in, and the actual compressor is good to go.

Extras You'll Need
You'll need two things before you can use the pump/compressor. You'll need a 5 gallon bucket (or bigger). This will be for water that you'll be cooling the unit with. It will absolutely be warm and need a switch out after 30 minutes. I really wouldn't recommend going smaller unless you're cool with refilling the bucket a ton during use.

The other thing that you'll need is anti-friction hydraulic oil #46. This is the oil you'll use for the compressor. I bought a 5 gallon bucket of this thinking it would last forever. Looking back, I'm glad I did. While I think that it's getting better in terms of not burning through it as much, you're supposed to change it out as it gets dirty. At least so far, I have been changing it out after each tank fill. This is to be expected early, as you're getting all of the grime out of the compressor right away. As I said, it seems to be less dirty now, and seems to be improving, but I don't want to risk anything.

Set Up for Use

The first thing you'll want to do is find two plugs with some open space around them. I would recommend doing this outside or in a garage. There are a few reasons why that I'll get into in a minute. There are two versions of this pump/compressor you can buy. There is a 220v and 110v. I am not wired anywhere to handle 220v, so I have the 110v. The difference between the two beyond power level is that there is an automatic cut off for the 220v on pressure. The 110v doesn't have that. That means you need to pay attention to it while filling.

The second thing you'll want to do is fill that 5 gallon bucket with water. Simple enough. You're going to drop that water pump in there and plug it in. The water will pretty much immediately start flowing through the upper tube and back into the bucket. I would also recommend getting some friction on the upper hose against either the other hose or against the wire for the plug. I've found that, without wrapping it around one, it kicks itself out of the bucket. Just a small tip. You want to turn the pump on PRIOR to the air compressor. It cools the machine, and keeps it from burning out.

The other thing that you'll need to do is fill the oil. Remove the black plug that you see in the picture above. You fill it to the top of the red dot. It comes out to around half a 20 oz bottle. I cut one coke bottle in half, and used it to fill. It worked pretty well. In the picture above, you can see a few things that are important. When it comes time to get the used oil out, you use unscrew that silver screw directly below the gauge, dump the oil, and screw it back in. Easy enough. The other thing you can see is where the system vents out during use. See that red plug thing? See the brass screw to the left? It's an exhaust. I would not recommend this being near a wall unless you want that wall to get dirty, and I would not recommend using this inside for that reason. It does vent chemicals. I wouldn't do that inside. I don't know that it's toxic, but I also sure don't know that it's good for you. I wouldn't do this in an enclosed space. I was on my deck.

Using the Compressor

I have filled a 90/4500 (multiple times) and a 68/4500 with this. First, screw that screw under the fill hose in all the way. This is a bleed, as is the screw on the other side. Close them both. Then attach your tank, same as you would for any air fill. Plug in the system, and flip the red switch. This thing is not quiet. I would say it's probably as loud as an old game lawn mower or a leaf blower. Know that when you are filling your tanks, your neighbors will hear that puppy roaring. Keep an eye on the water pump hosing, making sure it doesn't slip out of the water. It took about 8 minutes to fill the 90/4500 from 0 pressure. At the 30 minute mark, I swapped out the water. It has been warm to the touch at that point. You can see the temp of the system on the digital read out on top of the compressor, and I have no desire to push this thing. That's still pretty darn good for a $350 air compressor!! When you're done, unscrew your bleed, turn off the compressor, and then disconnect the tank. In that order.

Clean Up
Turn off the compressor. I have let the water pump flow for a little bit after turning off the compressor itself. The water pump does a heck of a job cooling the system, and an extra couple minutes can really help with this part. Once it's cool, unplug the water pump, dump the water, and check the oil. If it's dark, drain the system by unscrewing the screw directly below oil window. Dispose of the oil safely. Reinstall the screw, and fill 'er right back up.

For people like me, this thing is a godsend. I don't have a field or store that's closer than an hour away without traffic. I can fill a tank or two pretty quickly while just checking back in and out with it, with really low maintenance, and I don't need to break the bank to do it or need a scuba set up. While it's not expensive in the paintball world, it's not super cheap either so you need to make the decision on how much it's worth your time and money to always be able to fill your tanks on-demand. For me, it's worth it. It's also a little loud, so I wouldn't use it in a basement or enclosed space, esp with the compressor venting as it does. All in all, while it's not perfect, it sure checks an awful lot of boxes for me, and I recommend it to people who want to be able to fill tanks without waiting over night, spending a ton, or needing scuba tanks.

My feedback:

Need a Centerflag Uprising manual? PM me.

My Shooters

Last edited by cfos00; 10-12-2017 at 03:04 PM.
cfos00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
trophy husband

This is great. Thanks for taking the time to write everything up.

As for that question about going from 3000psi to 4500psi, that's normal. I can't remember the particular law of physics right now, but basically the energy required to go from 3000-4000 psi is greater than the energy needed to go from 0-3000 psi...or something like that. I'm not sure about the exact ratios. But even at my local Scuba shop, where the owner has an industrial compressor, there's a big time difference between the two. A 3000 psi fill only takes a few minutes, but a 4500 psi fill takes significantly longer.

Last edited by rawbutter; 09-25-2017 at 11:43 AM.
rawbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Midget Enthusiast

Thanks for letting me know that!!! Seriously, I wondered if I was doing something wrong!
My feedback:

My Shooters
Old 09-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
mag shooter

Hoping to do one of these for the shoebox compressor myself. while mine is used it should offer a nice comparison. mine is due to arrive today. hopefully ill have some time to play with it.
I buy Automags and Parts: if you need cash shoot me a pm

My shop page: Bearded Works

superman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Has ridges...

Have you guys noticed any oil from the compressor making it's way to the high pressure outlet?
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing....

Ruffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Midget Enthusiast

I have not
My feedback:

My Shooters
Old 09-25-2017, 11:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Try dropping some ice into the water after 20 minutes. Should give you enough time to fill the 68ci without having to change the water.

You could also try a water chiller like used for fish tanks, but a good one will cost about as much as the compressor.

A small radiator and fan could also buy you more time.
William the Third is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Or look into DIY evaporative coolers, also known as bong coolers. Pretty cheap and simple to build, especially if you have a water pump.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

This is very cool. I bought a SCUBA compressor from a local fire station a year ago. I'm just now getting to work on it. I bought it for 10% of what I would guess it's working value is because they can't get it to start. Looking at what I might have to replace (hopefully a $50 coil) the motor starter alone would cost more than this little compressor. This looks like such a great option for players to have available to them.

Great write-up by the way.
>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<
DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me! <<Closed for now so I can catch up
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I really like the picture posts, because I don't understand most of the word posts.
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

If you hang the water outlet to the bucket in the air and let it drain over some screen into the bucket, you will get some cooling there. Blow a box fan at that and you have a cooling tower.
My Feedback

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply » Paintball » MCB Reviews It