mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
MCS Universal Drop Down ASA

Anyone who has played magfed using a marker with an air in stock setup knows just how much wearing a mask affects your ability to aim properly. Oftentimes, players need to install risers and/or optics in order to compensate for their inability to get their face close enough to get behind the sights or to aim down the side. Even then, itís still not always easy to see where youíre aiming with a 13/3k tank in your face.

Enter the MCS Universal Drop Down ASA. For me, this accessory is nothing short of a game changer. While it may take some ďrealismĒ away from the markerís overall look, the adage ďif you canít see, you canít playĒ still holds true. By dropping the tank down a full inch, wearing a mask is no longer a hinderance. I can now quickly get behind my marker, acquire my target and shoot without having to resort to contorting my head around or pressing the tank into my mask. I can quickly switch from using a red dot on top to canting the marker forty-five degrees to aim down the side - all without worrying about where the tank is in relation to my face.

Installation is very simple. The ASA consists of the drop itself, a threaded plug, two o-rings, four allen screws and an included allen key. Also note that you will need a hinge/swivel guide rod in order to use a tank in stock. You start by installing the two o-rings and threading the plug into the rear ASA of your marker (it is advisable to lubricate the o-rings before installing the plug to keep them from drying out). You then tighten the plug down with an allen key to prevent unwanted rotation once everything is installed. With the plug installed, press fit the drop down ASA and center it on your marker. Once you have the ASA indexed correctly, install and tighten the four allen screws to lock it in place. I recommend using blue Loctite to prevent them from backing out during play. With the ASA installed, connect the guide rod. Again, I recommend using blue Loctite to keep the guide rod from coming loose during play. Install your tank & stock and youíre set.

Construction of the ASA is very good with the ASA being made of solid aluminum. The dust black finish is very clean and even. I didnít notice any mill marks or other blemishes either.

The only downside I can see to this is that it does add some additional length to your stock. Where I once had an inline on/off ASA installed, I had to remove it in order to shoulder the marker comfortably. Also keep in mind that Iím 6í 3Ē with long arms. My twelve-year-old son is unable to shoulder the marker even with the stock set to its shortest position. So, I would advise against buying this for younger or smaller players.

It also warrants mentioning that this ASA is compatible with any marker with an air in stock (not just the markers made by MCS).

Update
I was able to tweak a few things to make using and installing the ASA easier.

First, I swapped out the Ninja 13/3k tank with a Guerrilla Air 13/3k. Doing this allowed me to reconnect the inline on/off ASA and pretty much keep the same stock length. Now I won't have to fuss with getting the stock off to remove the tank after playing.

Next, I removed the original bracket for the old guide rod. This part is no longer necessary and it's one less thing to collect paint underneath.

Lastly, by removing the old bracket, I could perfectly index the ASA by lining up the two set screws using the rear ASA and an allen key. Using the allen key as a straight edge, you can see how the screw lines up on both sides. Call me OCD but it really works.

Last edited by JonM; 12-31-2017 at 01:59 PM.
JonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brumski

Send a message via AIM to Melvin

That's pretty cool, kind of tempted to piece one together myself. What's the overall length of the stock at the shortest setting?

Also with these stocks becoming more popular, has anyone ever tried a mask bottom made out of something more flexible like a piece of leather or heavy canvas? Or maybe that rubber ring chain mail?
Feedback
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Paintball
Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/melvin.brumski

Things I would like to purchase with American dollars:
1: Dragon barrel plugs!
2: Skanline VTS for a VM68

I moved across the country, if you live in Louisiana hit me up!
Melvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin View Post
That's pretty cool, kind of tempted to piece one together myself. What's the overall length of the stock at the shortest setting?

Also with these stocks becoming more popular, has anyone ever tried a mask bottom made out of something more flexible like a piece of leather or heavy canvas? Or maybe that rubber ring chain mail?
Using a Ninja 13/3k tank and measuring from the Blizzard's rear ASA to the butt, I can collapse the stock to 10 3/4". There are more adjustment points available on the guide rod but the gauge and fill nipple prevent the stock from being collapsed any farther. I imagine a shorter regulator like a P3 or Myth reg would allow it to be a bit shorter.

As for mask bottoms, I suppose you could make something like you've described but it wouldn't be ASTM approved. Before installing the drop down ASA, I tried aiming the marker while wearing a Proto Axis Pro, a Grill and a JT Spectra. Even the Grill with its flexible bottoms seemed clumsy when I tried to cheek the marker. Now I don't have to worry about that anymore. The only thing I need to do now is install a shorter riser for my red dot since the 1" riser on there now is too tall for this setup. I have a 1/2" riser on the way to bring it down to the correct height for me.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brumski

So if the reg and fill nipple happen to lay properly is there anything stopping you from trimming the plastic so it slides further down?

Iím sure there are fields that would say something about a modded mask but honestly how many did we play at that wouldíve? If the field doesnít say anything it could be a decent option for those Tippmann and empire bullpup things.
Feedback
Paintball

Old 12-31-2017, 12:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin View Post
So if the reg and fill nipple happen to lay properly is there anything stopping you from trimming the plastic so it slides further down?
I suppose not. However, even if you do, you'll still have the tank sticking out the back of the stock. I can collapse the stock one click in from the position shown in the photo. Even then, it sticks out a bit. It's not bad at all with that little bit sticking out. But, I don't know how comfortable it would be if any more were sticking out the back.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Brumski

10 3/4Ē isnít really bad, pretty sure the noxx(ish) stock on my H7 is the same if not longer. Just considering things for down the road is all
Feedback
Paintball

Old 12-31-2017, 09:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
No problem. It really is very comfortable to use like this. There's no way I'm ever going back to the original guide rod.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
I played around with my Blizzard this afternoon. I was able to tweak a few minor issues that were bugging me. The original post has been updated with the changes.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

I just installed one on my carter comp.
Some before and after pictures.
Thanks to the OP for suggesting this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170610_192518_03-800x600.jpg (192.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180305_172009-800x600.jpg (74.2 KB, 67 views)
anson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Very cool! I'm glad it helped you out.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It