mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
MCS Bolt Pump

Hi folks,

As I promised, I will be posting up an in-depth review of this gun since they seem to be relatively unheard of in the pump community at large.

I will be posting anecdotal thoughts starting tonight with pictures to follow when I'm able to get to taking them. I'm in the process of moving so please be patient.

Feel free to PM me with specific questions until the review is final.

Thanks folks,
Jonny
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
Initial reactions:

- Lots of plastic parts, yet still kind of heavy.
- D-mags feel cheap as hell, Helix mags noticeably better.
- Does NOT come with the FSR springs for the mags which I wasn't aware of (probably didn't read closely enough).
- Stock barrel is your classic short Model 98-esque, not sure of the bore, but I got a bunch of rollouts.
- Pump action with the stock pump insert and stock barrel feels a little kinky, after removing the insert and adding a new barrel it feels much better. It's stiff, but satisfying and way different than the cocker-type pumps I'm used to.
- Long gun, much longer than what I'm accustomed to.
- Trigger is heavy, but feels right on the gun.
- Pumping is a little tricky, you have to get the right motion to get the mags to feed reliably. After shooting a few mags it became easier.

Those are my first thoughts, more to come.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
[DAWN]

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
I doubt it had a second detent for rollouts, you'll need to use a bore sizing kit. Barrel it comes with is probably .690 from the inventory acquired during the purchase of CMI. Pump resistance is from both cocking the main spring and the spring in the pump handle, both are Tippmann-heavy. Ditch the DMAGs and go for Helix only, maybe use the DMAGs for chrono only? Trigger pull is probably not going to get any lighter unless you do a spring swap and a heavier hammer.

During field testing the testers response was that it feels like a Tacamo pump should: inexpensive milsim FSR-capable but nowhere near CCM quality and feel. Freak or Hammerhead kit required, I kept saying there should be a pump-specific breech unit that has a second detent so that you can use any barrel (and have that in Cocker threads not just A-5), not sure if that ever happened. Helix it comes with is sprung for paintballs, the DMAG is sprung for FSR (I think it should be the other way around).
Kapyrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapyrna View Post
I doubt it had a second detent for rollouts, you'll need to use a bore sizing kit. Barrel it comes with is probably .690 from the inventory acquired during the purchase of CMI. Pump resistance is from both cocking the main spring and the spring in the pump handle, both are Tippmann-heavy. Ditch the DMAGs and go for Helix only, maybe use the DMAGs for chrono only? Trigger pull is probably not going to get any lighter unless you do a spring swap and a heavier hammer.

During field testing the testers response was that it feels like a Tacamo pump should: inexpensive milsim FSR-capable but nowhere near CCM quality and feel. Freak or Hammerhead kit required, I kept saying there should be a pump-specific breech unit that has a second detent so that you can use any barrel (and have that in Cocker threads not just A-5), not sure if that ever happened. Helix it comes with is sprung for paintballs, the DMAG is sprung for FSR (I think it should be the other way around).
Thank you for your input.

Please note this is not my exhaustive opinion on this marker, literally my initial thoughts when un-boxing and gassing up for the first time. I'm going to post an in-depth review with pictures, this is a mental placeholder.

I have already ditched the stock barrel for a hammerhead and the DMAGs for
Helixes. Both mags came stock with the roundball spring. I don't plan on doing anything else to the marker at this time, though I'm wondering about a tank-in-stock option because the bottomline feels a little funny.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
[DAWN]

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
All in all I was pretty happy with what they are for the price, when the only other competition is a Hammer 7 and now ADN's pumps. Might be worth hitting up MCS chat as the product page says the DMAG is for FSR, which means it should come with the stronger springs.

For rear air if you go that route I highly recommend getting the Thunderbolt lower and dropdown ASA instead of the standard rear ASA: grip frame is much nicer in my opinion and having the bottle or stock an in lower than the bore axis makes a huge difference even with a relfex sight.
Kapyrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
So I finally got a chance to use the gun in all it's first strikey glory and I love it.

I shot around 140 FSR at a magfed event last weekend and this thing shot great. Had a couple of feeding hiccups where the fin on a FSR would catch and not fully load into the breech, but I think this was more to me not being used to the gun rather than a functional error.

I used a 14", .686 Hammerhead and 13ci Ninja tank, it was cloudy and around 34F. Shots were consistent and the accuracy at a distance was fantastic, I was picking people out of windows all day. Not sure if it's because I'm a pump player and am more used to snap shooting vs. spray-and-pray, but it seemed my gun was shooting better than some of the fancier semi/electro magfed guns that day.

Overall I'm a big fan of the Bolt. There aren't many magfed pump options available out there, but I say this one is well worth the cost. I plan on playing more magfed now that I found a gun I liked.

Sorry for the delay in updating the review!
Old 02-21-2019, 01:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Now I'm curious...You should bring it to Slim's game and pass it around
Old 02-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusskiX View Post
Now I'm curious...You should bring it to Slim's game and pass it around
If I have space sure thing
Old 02-21-2019, 07:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Trekkie

I got a normal blizzard and it was taken to a field to fix a striped head and one employee stole it and hit the road! No im looking into what I missed
My youtube

Feedback 0+/0-

I talk too much. Forgive me.

If you are a kid and like to talk to people of pb this is the discord for you: https://discord.gg/3epPBJ
mlzplayer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Trekkie

Is it good as a sniper?
My youtube

Feedback 0+/0-

I talk too much. Forgive me.

If you are a kid and like to talk to people of pb this is the discord for you: https://discord.gg/3epPBJ
mlzplayer111 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It