mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lordless Samurai

Legacymods.com Gtek & 160R mechanical conversion kit overview & thoughts

Hey guys! I grabbed one of these while I continue to wait for ANS to get my pre-ordered gmek frame in stock... Figure I'd share my thoughts.

So initial thoughts and overview are summed up here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09aevBiLtFk

I then took it to a big game and put it though the motions. Note I increased my spring tension considerably because I like a snappy trigger, and I rarely ever 'walk' a trigger (I almost exclusively shoot single trigger mechs and pumps so keep that in mind - I almost always grab my eNMEy for big games lately). Here's some game footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A270uTox78

Basically, The LegacyMods kit is a well developed and fabricated kit that includes everything needed to make a really solid electro into a really solid mech for a reasonable price. If you want a mech 160R option, this may be for you. If you prefer a double-triggered mech option on your G-tek or don't like sliders, this is good, too.

Pros:
  • It's very tunable via the trigger, from easily walkable to nice and firm/snappy.
  • Easy to install.
  • Good quality/craftsmanship.
  • Works! It does exactly what it is supposed to do. It works well and, aside from an efficiency loss, really translates the electro performance to a mech.
  • Super smooth (granted, that's the gamma core more than anything)

The 'OKAY'
  • I consider the price fair when considering the quality of the kit and it being a niche product produced small runs.

Cons
  • Really just one. Efficiency. Because of how the switch vents, efficiency suffers. On a 68/4.5k fill with a moderate overbore, I was only getting upwards of 800-900 usable shots. It's not terribly scientific, I know, but I had the same result for multiple fills - so I'd say it's close. Might be closer to a thousand per fill had I not been over-boring. Either way, it's considerably less than a standard Gtek, 160R, or Gmek.

You can grab one at https://legacymods.com/

Last edited by WanderingRonin; 04-23-2018 at 01:24 PM.
WanderingRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tubular!

Cool beans.

At the rate ANS pre-orders keep getting pushed back, i may just purchase a LegacyMod just so the Gtek won't collect dust.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lordless Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdcore View Post
Cool beans.

At the rate ANS pre-orders keep getting pushed back, i may just purchase a LegacyMod just so the Gtek won't collect dust.

That is exactly why I did, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2018, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

Aside from efficiency, any comparison on this versus the official PE frame? I'm eyeballing this a lot over the factory offering just because you can actually fit it on the 160R.
Marauder_Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've shot his Legacy-modded mech and own a 'regular' Gmek. The only real difference other than efficiency is that the Legacy mod is wayyyy easier to shoot ridiculously fast. Otherwise, same gun. Both frames are plenty comfy and the Gamma Core engine is beyond soft on paint. The FPO stuff we get here locally isn't super good or consistent, so that's a huge one for me personally.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lordless Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
I've shot his Legacy-modded mech and own a 'regular' Gmek. The only real difference other than efficiency is that the Legacy mod is wayyyy easier to shoot ridiculously fast. Otherwise, same gun. Both frames are plenty comfy and the Gamma Core engine is beyond soft on paint. The FPO stuff we get here locally isn't super good or consistent, so that's a huge one for me personally.
Pretty much. It shoots amazing. Also worth noting, they guys over at Legacy mods have solved the efficiency issue to some degree:

Quote:
I just finished making a replacement part that will cut down on the venting while the valve is held open. These replacement parts will be available to customers at no charge once I've found a shop that can make the parts within the tolerance I need (+/- .0005"). Once I've received the parts, customers will have to send in their kits to have the replacement part installed and venting hole drilled in the valve body if they want the replacement upgrade parts. When we're ready to start upgrading kits with the replacement parts, we'll send out an email to all the customers who have purchased one so they can send them in to be upgraded free of charge.
I'm excited for them to wrap this up
Old 06-14-2018, 01:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

I keep coming back to this for my regular gtek. While I have a mech ion, enemy, ect I still think........this would be cool on my gtek. I only ever use semi anyway. Is there a safety on it?
Old 06-14-2018, 03:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lordless Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosgarage57 View Post
I keep coming back to this for my regular gtek. While I have a mech ion, enemy, ect I still think........this would be cool on my gtek. I only ever use semi anyway. Is there a safety on it?
there is not, aside from the ASA...

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It