mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

enola gay paintball grenade

Ok I was at an event just this weekend and got my hands on an enola gay paintball grenade.

After seeing a video I was really stoked to try it.

the price ($10) was a little high but if as advertised would be worth it.

So I bought two to test.

My first impressions were good.

the body was a thin shell that could be squished (more on this later) but seemed well made.
It also fit nicely in the hand for throwing.
Overall size enabled me to fit two comfortably in my side cargo pocket of pants
the weight is very light.

the top had a cardboard sturdy cap that does stay on well but easy to remove quickly.

Note the warning says will go off in 4 to 6 seconds.

So I threw two in my pocket and waited for a good time to test them.

So on to test one.

I was in a bunker with full overhead coverage and three sides. Two sides were solid and front side with two maybe 12 inch high 2 to 3 feet wide windows.
the overall bunker was maybe 5 feet (wide) by about 7 foot long (all this detail will make sense).

there was three of us in this bunker about 1 foot apart staggered in a line.

well we were being overrun so I thought this is great time to toss one out the front window.

so grabbed the grenade , pulled the right out (very easy and smooth) , and threw it...

Of course (but great for next part of test) I BLEW IT. and it bounced off the window slit frame and went right behind the last guy in our line and landed not 3 feet from him and maybe (me being in front) 5 foot max from me..

BANG...

well the loud bang was very impressive (but did not effect our hearing at all), the flash was noticeable without being blinding, and the puff of smoke was nice touch..

well here come the big letdown..

After I was saying sorry we all looked at walls , ceiling and each other for paint......Not one drop we could find on anything.

we checked each other out well.....

In that ideal confined space and closeness of detonation if it were any other non pyrotechnic grenade (atomic ordnance, fatboy or new BT) we would have had very noticeable marking...

this was about as ideal situation for getting marked as you could ask for.

NOT ONE MARK.

Ok lets see if it was a fluke

I was bunkered and in desperate attempt pulled my second one.

the shell (remember I said it was thin) was slightly crushed in on one side..
But the shell did not split after being bounced around in my pocket during sliding, climbing, ect.

pulled pin and threw it...

Missed any player but went off near a short wall (protecting a trench line) of thick wood...

Bang, smoke but again not one visible mark on the wall and it landed within 3 or less feet.

In fact of the many thrown (how many dont know) that day only one point blank elimination reported. But (see next comment) I dont know if it was because of paint or the field (no one was told in player briefing) rule.

So I talked to the on side shop manager to give my opnions..
He told me the paint bag is on one side and "can" fall with heavy bag down (other side empty) and charge pushes paint into the ground.

Well hell if its heavier on one side which side is naturally gonna be facing down most of the time.

He told us the field rule was if it goes off within 15 feet of you its counts as an eliminations..
well hell that not only defeats the purpose of a paint fill but unless a ref is right there or a player is looking right at it when it goes off that rule is almost useless.

So my overall review

overall design of body and weight...very good

protective cap and fuse system....very good

Paint fill and covering players....NONE EXISTENT in practical application and in about the best situation (my bunker flub) you could ask for.

I would have to say overall not even close to worth the cost.
I was sadly and surprisingly disappointed given their excellent smoke grenades.

the only fix I would say is much more fill..

but other than unless you want a noise maker not worth the money

Scrounger
scrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

we had this problem with the old M 79 A1 grenades back in the 90's. on a hard surface you could get a good paint dispersal but in leaves or grass or soft ground they were really only good to startle who ever you threw them at which usually caused them to jump out where you could shoot them. i only remember one elimination with a grenade but is was on a rocky ledge and he was covered in pink dots from head to toe.
vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Good review, would love to see some photos of it.

I used to purchase a tippmann grenade all the time back in the 2000's. Never to use - but to hand off to a kid on the last "bridge" game that we always played.

It was the last game so people always ran out of paint and walked off the field. So I'd catch someone that did and told them to go down in a blaze of glory and hand them the grenade... Let me just say the money was worth it.

The screams and yells they would make rushing the bridge - and would get lit up 9 out of 10 times before even throwing it. Yeah... Good times.

One of the few times I threw a grenade, it was during a speedball tournament or at EMR
Old 04-11-2018, 09:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
No gooder, rascal

Brass and Wood Fan
Ahh grenades...the first time I ever threw one I was out of ammo, made a mad dash, had a solid throw with good placement, but got lit up while I watched it pathetically plop and squirt into the leaves.

Favorite grenade moment was when a buddy went to chuck one out the door of a plywood bunker, it made solid contact with the header, fell at his feet and proceeded to unleash a spiraling flurry of doom on his everything.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
Good review, would love to see some photos of it.

I used to purchase a tippmann grenade all the time back in the 2000's. Never to use - but to hand off to a kid on the last "bridge" game that we always played.

It was the last game so people always ran out of paint and walked off the field. So I'd catch someone that did and told them to go down in a blaze of glory and hand them the grenade... Let me just say the money was worth it.

The screams and yells they would make rushing the bridge - and would get lit up 9 out of 10 times before even throwing it. Yeah... Good times.

One of the few times I threw a grenade, it was during a speedball tournament or at EMR
I believe you have now found the one and only use for paint grenades that will make everyone happy

Give them to New players.

You get to watch the Carnage and possibly use it as a distraction

They get the extremely slim glimmer of hope that they will save the team from defeat

Also, you used a paint grenade in a speedball tournament? Was this captured on film by chance? I saw a clip years ago of someone throwing a paint grenade in a speedball tournament. One of the funniest paintball related things I've ever seen

Too the OP- have you ever tried EG's flash bang grenades?

^^^ If you are new to the sport and need help finding gear, click here!!!^^^

feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Trbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
I threw a paint grenade into an ATV based tank once. It covered the inside of the tank. The tank driver didn't think it was funny though, he said the grenade hit him. He jumped out of the tank, covered in paint and was going to light me up with his paintball gun, until he saw the ref standing next to me. He was also upset because the paint covered the inside of the tank and "made it a mess".

At a different game, I was a few feet from a friend of mine when someone threw a grenade next to him. The grenade didn't go off. My friend picked up the grenade and threw it back, yelling "Haha, it didn't go off!" The grenade hit a tree branch 3 feet above my friend and went off and doused my friend. It was hilarious!

The first time I used a paint grenade in a game was many years ago. I bought into the hype, thinking I could wipe out the whole other team. We got pinned down attacking a bunker made out of branches. I remembered that I had the grenade and threw it into the bunker. I thought I would be the hero and clear the whole bunker, but not one person was hit by any of the paint from the grenade. It was very disappointing.

www.okcompanypaintball.com

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
scphantom9195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

My group tried one a year or 2 ago. The "paint packet" was Jell-o style gelatin and our results were also lackluster to say the least. Zero "paint" dispersion. Just an decorated firecracker.

The "Jello" was bitter. No sweetener at all.

Planet Eclipse Tech and Planet Eclipse Service Center. Please PM me for any warranty work or other Planet Eclipse service needs.
jerryjjackson69 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It