mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

TJ's Paracord Tank Covers

I ordered a couple paracord tank covers a year ago from TJ's Paracord Designs. I'm not a huge fan of the rubber slip covers that seem to be popular now and was having a trouble finding covers for my 4oz tank. TJ was easy to communicate with and the price seemed acceptable. Had a large selection of colors to choose from. He didn't have a 4 or 3.5 tank handy but was able to make a cover on my measurements easily enough. Each cover has a drawstring on collar with a plastic cord lock. He also included a paracord keychain with the extra cord from my order, I don't know if this something he always does.

Durability: 5 of 5 I've used these for a year now in a few scenarios and plenty of rec days. Been bounced around my gear bag and they don't show a slightest sign of wear.

Ease of Install: 3 of 5 The 50/45 went on without a hitch but the 4oz took a bit of stretching to fit the first time. When taking off the exact opposite is true, the 4oz can be removed in seconds but the 50/45 takes a bit of effort loosening the weaving. I've gotten used to taking it off the day before a big game and wrapping the tank in shirt to transport. I don't believe this is a design issue but just the nature of a woven cover. Perhaps an extra inch of drawstring would make thing a bit better.

In Use: 5 of 5 The 50/45 is very comfortable against the shoulder. Has just a hint of cushion and I haven't noticed any slippage either. The covers are on there solid after the drawstring is tightened and have had no problems with them sliding off unintentionally.

Overall: 4 of 5 As a cover I can't really imagine any better but if I was going to more different fields in a year I can see taking the cover on the 50/45 annoying. I do intend to order through TJ again next time I need a cover.

So far I can only find him on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TJSParacordDesigns/

somethingbenign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

I have never had to really wash a tank cover, but those seem like you would have to throw them in the wash with your gear after everyday of play. Not a huge deal, but it's kind of a turn off for me.
Carlito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've taken a few hits in the larger one but just ran some water over it in the kitchen sink and let air dry.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
One thing I didn't see mentioned here is the weight of paracord covers. They can be VERY heavy depending on the type of paracord used.

Experimented with a 13/3000 paracord cover for a time, but gave it up since the weight of the cover was almost the same as the tank. YMMV.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Tried weighing them on my bathroom scale and the large one wouldn't even move the needle. On the flip side if my free weights are to be believed accurate my scale is reading several pounds over weight so I have that going for me. If I can get hold of a better scale I'll update this. Any other concerns or questions? I'll refine my reviews as I go forward.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

I have one also and found it to offer a decent level of protection. Weight was never really an issue, maybe a bit heavier than a standard neoprene tank cover but not terribly heavy.

Good quality throughout and is available in a multitude of colors last time I inquired.

Worth the price in my opinion...

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
The only potential concern I can see with these, for me at least, is that drawstring cord. It just screams that it wants to get hung up while crawling or playing any heavily wooded field. Any experience with this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntninja View Post
The only potential concern I can see with these, for me at least, is that drawstring cord. It just screams that it wants to get hung up while crawling or playing any heavily wooded field. Any experience with this?
I haven't been crawling much the past year but I'll be in some brush this weekend so I'll keep any eye out and report back.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

So a bit late getting back to report but didn't have any trouble getting hung up. Went through some thorn bushes and got snagged a bit but so did my pants, shirt, boot laces, and about everything else.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It