mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Red - Black

CCM Fan
Comprehensive Pump Review - Complete.

The Project:

I thought of this project as I was surfing my usual paintball Bulletin Boards (PHOG, MCB, Paintball Scene, SCP, etc.) and kept finding posts that were asking not only how to make a pump out of an old Autococker but what the best pump kit was on the market. I thought it would be beneficial to start collecting pumps and review them one at a time on the same marker. Thus the Comprehensive pump kit project was born.

I e-mailed every pump kit maker I could think of and posted on all the boards listed above that I needed help rounding up pump kits. I got lot's of replies and offers for help. Some came through with the goods - some did not. For those that did not, I borrowed pump kits where I could and bought kits where I had to. Below you will find every pump kit I have been able to review with the plan of getting to them all.

Every pump kit will have its own separate review with a summary on this page. Enjoy.

The Test Bed:

What you see above is a lightly used 2004 Prostock Autococker purchased used from PB Nation. I paid 50 dollars shipped for this marker and true to form it came in non working order. The Regulator was tightened on so tightly it took vice grips and a strap wrench to get it off. The LPR was over pressurized and the marker had blown hosing because of it. The hammer was cross threaded and the cocking rod was stuck in the hammer due to this. The previous owner did not know he had cross threaded the cocking rod so he tried to re-time the marker to compensate. The ball detent was missing its o-ring and when tightened to the body made the bolt stick. I fixed, re-timed, re-tapped, and cleaned the marker. In about one hour I had it screaming again. She shot at 280 and shot fast.

I am actually very happy that the marker came this way. This is a true test of making a pump out of a used autococker. The condition is probably what the average end user can expect when picking up a marker so cheaply. I stripped her down for her new life as a pump and as a test bed for pumps.

Specifications:

Weight: 3 pounds 2 ounces with pneumatics

2 pounds 13 ounces without pneumatics.

Trigger: Double Trigger Hinge.

Input PSI - Stock: 325 PSI

Turns of IVG at 285 FPS - Stock: 3.5 Turns from flush with body.

Tuning the Marker:

I started out with an externally adjustable regulator (CCM) on the marker to sweet spot the Prostock. I turned the input PSI down to 200 PSI and turned the IVG in two turns from flush with the body. I shot and turned up the regulator until the pressure plateaued. I marked this PSI with an external gauge. I found that the Prostock will plateau at 250 PSI input and stay that way up until about 325 PSI. I now see why WGP sets their regulators at 325 PSI from the factory - this way you have a lot of range with shootdown under rapid fire without a loss in FPS over the chrono. I reset the factory regulator at 300 PSI output and left it.

I adjusted the cocking lug slightly so that the trigger pull was short and started on my reviews.

Pump Kit Review #1: WGP Sniper Pump Kit:

The Entire Article Can Be Seen Here.

WGP Sniper Pump Kit - Specifications:

Materials:

Pump: Delrin

Pump Guide Rod: Aluminum

Pump Arm: Stainless Steel

Return Spring: Yes.

Weight: 7.7 Ounces

Weight of Marker with Pneumatics:
3 Pounds 2 ounces

Weight of the Marker without Pneumatics:
2 pounds 13 ounces.

Weight of Marker with WGP Sniper Pump Kit Installed: 3 pounds 3 ounces

Pump Handle Length: 5 Inches.

Pump Circumference: 5 3/4 Inches.

Pump Length with Rod:
14 1/2 Inches.

Cost: 30 Shipped

Thumbnail Overview:

This kit is the kit that started it all. This is why I had to review this one first.

Pros:

This pump kit is cheap and very easy to install. You really cannot mess this kit up in any way. The tolerances are such that you can essentially play in the mud and never have a problem with this pump kit. If you have the right barrel - this kit performs just fine.

Cons:

You need to have the right barrel or the pump kit flexes a lot. This flexing leads to pump binding and grinding. The tolerances, materials, and makes for a crude feeling pump stroke in comparison to other kits on the market.

Should You Buy It?

If you are building a pump that you plan on using every now and again take a look at this kit. It is cheap and easy to use. If you have a larger O.D. barrel or barrel kit - this kit will perform just fine for you. Recreational pump users or seekers should pick one of these up. If pump is not for you - you are out very little money.

Pump Kit Review #2 - Team Hooptie Sniper Pump Kit:

The entire article can be seen Here.

Team Hooptie Sniper Pump Kit - Specifications:

Materials:

Pump - Aluminum

Pump Guide Rod: Aluminum

Pump Arm: Aluminum

Return Spring: Yes - Heavy

Weight: 12.70 Ounces

3 Pounds 2 ounces

Weight of the Marker without Pneumatics: 2 pounds 13 ounces.

Weight of Marker with Hooptie Pump Kit Installed:
3 pounds 91 ounces.

Pump Handle Length:
5 Inches.

Pump Circumference: 5 Inches.

Pump Length with Rod: 14 1/4 Inches.

Cost: 30 Shipped

Thumbnail Overview:

Pros:

This inexpensive kit is essentially a more durable and heavier version of the WGP Pump Kit reviewed above. It is well made and the parts fit together well. It is very easy to install and it sealed just fine. With the proper barrel this kit would work very well. The customer service from Hooptie was also excellent. I would do business with Ed any day.

Cons:

This kit is the heaviest sniper kit reviewed and the return spring is very heavy as well. It makes for a heavy marker and a stiff pump stroke. Given the mill marks and lack of polish on the inside of the pump as well as the outside of the Guide Rod the pump stroke leaves something to be desired. I am sure as it breaks in it will get smoother - but a little polish on these kits would go a long way.

Should You Buy It?

If you are building a pump kit where you plan on using the marker infrequently or you simply want to try out pump play for very little money - this very well be the marker for you. Furthermore, if you ever thought other pump kits were too light, especially the WGP Sniper pump kit, this would be the kit for you.

Pump Kit Review #3: Vendetta Economy Pump Kit:

The entire article can be seen HERE.

Vendetta Economy Pump Kit - Specifications:

Materials:

Pump Guide Rod: Raw Aluminum

Return Spring: Medium Weight

Weight: 7.4 Ounces

Weight of Marker with Pneumatics: 3 Pounds 2 ounces

Weight of Marker with Vendetta Economy Pump Kit Installed: 3 pounds 4 ounces.

Pump Handle Length: 4 1/2.

Pump Circumference: 4 3/4 Inches.

Pump Length with Rod: 13 3/4 Inches.

Cost: 45 Shipped

Thumbnail Overview:

Pros:

The pump is thick and beefy. It feels good in the hand and the machining is well done. The guide rod is well machined and polished.

The return spring was perfect.

Very smooth and positive in the hand.

Cons:

The pump arm was not long enough to allow the pump to work. This is inexcusable of course. I would like to see 1/2 inch more length on the pump rod.

You must have an appropriate barrel installed on your marker or you will get considerable side to side play and possible binding.

I did find that this kit did not fit all barrels and I had to sand down the pump to fit the barrel I wanted the test bed chassis to use.

Expensive for an economy kit.

Should You Buy It?

I think this is a little expensive - but bar the CCM Economy Kit - this is one great little kit. If I could find this pump kit for cheap - say 25 to 30 dollars - I would not hesitate to pick it up. For those that are looking for an economy kit, this one is really good. The CCM kit, due to the guide ring is better, but for those that like a beefy handle and have the right barrel on their sniper, this is a very good kit.

Pump Kit Review #4: CCM Economy Pump Kit with Shorter Pump Handle:

The Full Article Can Be Seen HERE.

Materials of Pump Kit:

Pump Guide Rod: Stainless Steel

Guide Ring: Hard Anodized Aluminum</em>

Return Spring:
N/A

Weight: 7.25 Ounces

Weight of Marker with CCM Basic Pump Kit Installed:
3.2 Pounds

Pump Handle Length:
3 1/2 Inches.

Pump Length with Rod:
13 1/2 Inches.

Cost: 50 Shipped

Thumbnail Overview:

Pros:

Made very well this pump kit performs nearly as well as the dual rod 'Deluxe' pump kits on the market for about half of the cost. The reason for this performance is the the ingenious guide ring that allows the Pump Rod to stay aligned without the need of a secondary guide rod. The kit is of average weight and seems to add the proper weight to the marker without being too much. The delrin ribs allow for positive grab of the pump with little slippage due to slippery hands. The pump stroke is very smooth and even.

Cons:

The Pump Handle is the smallest I have reviewed and for those that have large hands or like large pump handles you may want to order CCM's larger Pump Handle.

Should You Buy It?

If you are building a pump that you plan on using every now and again up to frequently and want to save some money - I suggest this kit. As long as you don't have small hands or don't mind a smaller pump I don't see any problems with buying this kit. If you are planning on using this kit every weekend and plan on being a dedicated pump player - you will most likely want to spend a little more money and buy a deluxe pump kit. This little kit performs at 90% of the deluxe kits at 50% of the cost. Not a bad return if you ask me.

Pump Kit Review #5: White Wolf Airsmithing Economy Pump Kit:

White Wolf Economy Pump Kit - Specifications:

Materials:

Pump Guide Rod:
Aluminum

Pump Arm: Anodized Aluminum

Return Spring: Yes, Medium to Stiff

Weight: 6 Ounces

3 Pounds 2 ounces

Weight of the Marker without Pneumatics:
2 pounds 13 ounces.

Weight of Marker with White Wolf Economy Pump Kit (Long Handle) Installed: 3 pounds 2 ounces.

Pump Handle Length: 5 Inches for the larger pump handle (reviewed) 3.5 inches for shorty pump handle.

Pump Length with Rod: 14.5 Inches.

Cost: 39.99 for 3.5 inch pump handle 44.99 for 5 inch pump handle plus shipping.

Thumbnail Overview:

Pros:

Beefy pump handle, smooth for an economy pump kit, easy to install, looks good, positive grip and a good pump stroke.

Cons:

A little expensive for an economy pump kit in comparison with other kits (after shipping is included), and the pump rod was too short to install kit properly.

Should you Buy It?

It would take a little work or another pump rod to get this kit to work with most Autococker Bodies - however - once you do the pump kit works very well. I enjoyed this kit and think it would be a great place to start for an economy kit.

Pump Kit Review #6: Vendetta Deluxe Pump Kit:

The full article can be seen HERE.

Vendetta Economy Pump Kit - Specifications:

Materials:

Pump Guide Rods: Larger - Aluminum. Smaller - Stainless Steel

Return Spring: Medium Weight

Weight: 8.1 Ounces

Weight of Marker with Vendetta Deluxe Pump Kit Installed: 3 pounds 4 ounces.

Pump Handle Length: 4 1/2.

Pump Length with Rod: 14 1/2 Inches.

Cost: 85 Shipped

Thumbnail Overview:

Pros:

Slightly lighter than the CCM Deluxe kit and nearly as smooth the Vendetta Deluxe kit was a very positive and smooth operator. The pump gave a very positive feel and the more harsh milling on the pump was much less likely to slip than other pump kits on the market. The anodizing was very even and smooth and the kit overall was nearly flawless.

Cons:

The major problem with this kit was that the pump rod did not clear the mounting bracket and caused a lot of drag out of the box. I had to make modification to the pump arm that some buyers would not have the tools or experience to do. This was a major drawback of this kit and must be considered when buying.

Should you buy it?

Once you aware of the possible modification that must be made to this kit - you can be assured that the kit is smooth once this is done. The thinner pump handle with harsher lines might give a user a good option over the smoother CCM deluxe kit. If you like the looks of the Vendetta - give it a try.

Pump Kit Review #7 - CCM Deluxe Pump Kit:

The full article can be seen HERE.

CCM Deluxe Pump Kit - Specifications:

Materials:

Pump Guide Rods: Stainless Steel

Guide Rod Housing: Aluminum

Return Spring: None

Weight: 9.75 Ounces

Weight of Marker with CCM Deluxe Pump Kit Installed:
3 pounds 5 ounces.

Pump Handle Length: 5 Inches.

Pump Circumference: 5 Inches.

Cost: 75 Shipped

Thumbnail Overview:

Pros:

The smoothest and best built pump kit that has been reviewed thus far. There were no problems with installation and execution. Made the marker feel of a higher quality than it really is. Long pump handle felt nice in the hand and the pump stroke was buttery.

Cons:

No return spring.

Should you buy it?

If you are building a high end pump - this is one of, if not the, best pump kit on the market to do so. The price point is equal to the Vendetta kit but of higher quality. I would not hesitate to buy this kit if your wallet or project calls for it.

Pump Kit Review #8 - White Wolf Airsmithing Deluxe Pump Kit:

Full Article can be seen HERE.

White Wolf Deluxe Pump Kit - Specifications:

Materials:

Pump Guide Rods: Larger Guide Rod - Aluminum / Smaller Guide Rod - Stainless Steel

Guide Rod Housing: Aluminum

Pump Arm: Anodized Aluminum

Return Spring: Yes, Medium to Stiff

Weight: 6.5 Ounces

Weight of Marker with White Wolf Deluxe Pump Kit (Long Handle) Installed:
3 pounds 5 ounces.

Pump Handle Length: 5 Inches for the larger pump handle (reviewed) 3.5 inches for shorty pump handle.

Cost: 65 Shipped

Thumbnail Overview:

Pros:

Beefy pump handle, aggressive hand holds, two guide rods, nice front block that aligns well with the body of the marker, pump handle comes in 3.5 inches and 5 inches for different tastes.

Cons:

The boring of the delrin made a rougher pump stroke out of the box than the Vendetta and CCM kits, Polishing was minimalistic, pump rod was not long enough out of the box to pump the marker fully, milling of the window in the bottom of the pump seems incomplete.

Should You Buy It?

I feel that for the money there are better kits on the market. The CCM and Vendetta are smoother and better executed, however, with a little work and a longer pump rod, this kit will work just fine and might fit your looks and style. I would not overlook this kit - but simply think that it is a little dull in comparison.

Pump Kit Review #9 - CCM Auto Trigger Pump Kit - Complete:

This is really not a pump kit - but I felt the need to include the grip and Auto Trigger Cam portion of the Auto-Trigger kit - simply because I have seen many questions concerning this kit. I will only be listing the specifications and review of the grip portion of this kit here. If you want to see the Deluxe Pump Review - see Review #6 above.

Above: Series 5 Basic .45 Frame.

Below: Series 6 .45 Frame (top) and Series 6 86 Degree Frame.

Specifications:

Trigger: Delrin with roller bearing installed.

Construction: Aluminum with Stainless Steel screws.

Weight: 8.70 ounces (WGP Two Finger weighs 11.25 ounces and the WGP slider weighs 9.75 ounces.)

Grip Panels: Grip Panels depend on the type and choice selected. .45 grips are stock CCM, .86 Degree can be had in Hogue wrap around or CCM Custom Delrin Panels.

Cost: 70 Dollars

Entire Kit with Deluxe Pump, AT Cam and Arm, and Grip: 130 Dollars.

Thumbnail Overview:

Pros:

The only kit on the market that allows for the installation of an Auto Trigger on the marker. Roller trigger. Delrin trigger. Light and smooth. Good anodizing and quality milling. Multiple attachment points for a bottom line ASA on the Series 6 trigger frame. Under travel screw allows for adjustment of the trigger.

Cons:

No return spring on pump kit. Must have the undertravel screw adjusted properly or the Auto Trigger cam can block the trigger pull when marker is leaned left. The price point is a little high for a grip frame - but the quality of the piece seems to justify it.

Should you buy it?

If you are building a high end pump and / or you need an Auto Trigger I would not hesitate to buy this kit or frame. The CCM kit is high quality and makes a marker feel more expensive than it is. The test bed Prostock felt custom after installing this frame. I would not hesitate to buy this kit if your wallet or project calls for it.
TF

TF's MCB Trust.

Last edited by Talfuchre; 02-01-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Talfuchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Nicely done

Its great to see a post as well done as this one. I must agree that the CCM is the FINEST pump made. I have been waiting 3 months to get this beast(it just came in today).Nice job on the post.

Last edited by Skelo; 07-15-2008 at 02:28 AM.
Skelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Where can I get this?

Entire Kit with Deluxe Pump, AT Cam and Arm, and Grip: 130 Dollars.
You have serious problems Himura. I remember when I first started buying guns I would oogle your collection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
I'm sad to say I've rejected some pretty choice poon before. Sometimes little Mayvik (brain) gets the better of big Mayvik (peen). I blame it on the a..aha ha ah...ah ah alcohol.
My MCB Feedback
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...tml#post331126
himurax13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Blah

Ditto to himura's question.
xkpxfatassxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ieo

Have you tried Jcurt's pump kit yet? He has a few varieties...Economy with one pump arm, dual pump arm, dual guide rod, dual guide rods AND pump arms....etc.
Ieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Red - Black

CCM Fan
I have not tried JCurt's pump. I PM'd him to get a sample of one - but never heard back.

TF

TF's MCB Trust.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Red - Black

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkpxfatassxx View Post
Ditto to himura's question.
Must have been a typo - I have seen them for around 175.

TF

TF's MCB Trust.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
ton up boy

I just bought a Check it deluxe kit, and I must say itīs by far the best bang for buck at the moment. Theyre on sale at pb gateway:

Check It Autococker Deluxe Tactical Pump Kit 2K - Black

Looks are not the greatest IMO, but it feels really great in your hand (it has o-rings inbedded in the handle).
Very tight tolerances with little play, smooth action and just the right spring.
I would say itīs on par with CCM.

Iīve had Vendetta, Sanchez, CCM, WWA and WGP kits before, and the other cheap ones donīt come even close.

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
baader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

i personally have the wgp kit i really like it i have a barrel that works great with it and you can't beat the price i was also wondering what people think of the gat pump kit
kian47 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It