mcarterbrown.com  

Misc Paintball Items Tanks, Barrels, Hoppers. Everything else paintball related is sold in here

Old 07-31-2019, 07:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM 86* and CCI .45 Burl Wood Grip Panels

Siberian Elm Wood Burl Grip Panels

All prices are now OBO! Please make offers, I want these things gone! Thanks!

These matched grip panels were hand made from saw mill trim from Siberian Elm grown on Martha's Vineyard. The trees were approximately 80 years old and were planted as replacements by the US Forestry service after blight decimated native Walnut trees that were commonly used as shade trees in small U.S. towns. The panels are raw, unfinished wood at 220 grit. Higher grit sanding (at this point) will decrease the ability of any varnish/urethane/stain to penetrate into the wood grain. As I cannot anticipate what stains/finishes everyone will want I have left that to the buyer. I also have some chemical sensitivity, so I cannot really handle typical stains and wood finishes. As one possible solution I will now be offering to polish coconut oil (or a similar low-water content edible oil into the grain to prevent staining and it won't affect your skin) and filling the checks with beeswax.

Please be aware that this may NOT be reversible and may eliminate the possibility of urethaning, staining or other wise finishing the grips.
Here are examples of Set B and an 86* panel that were oiled and waxed:
oilIMG_4535.JPGIMG_4586.JPG

Please ask if you have any questions.

Price includes: 2x Grip Panels, 4x screws 6-32 x 1/4" and shipping. No Metal Frames included.
Set F ( one of the thinnest pairs of panels) will need shorter screws for the top--2x screws 6-32 x 3/16 or 1/8"--which I will get soon.

86* Set A $75
86IMG_4541.JPG86IMG_4542.JPG
86IMG_4540.JPG
Almost perfect mirror matching set of panels for the CCM 86* frame. Blue-grey spalt and red-brown Burl. Has a hairline seem on the front edge of the panel in between it and the frame when installed.

86* Set B $60
86IMG_4543.JPG86IMG_4544.JPG
86IMG_4539.JPG
Same as Set A, just without the blue-grey spalt.

Set A $60
aIMG_4491.JPGaIMG_4488.JPG
aIMG_4486.JPGaIMG_4485.JPG
Full coverage for CCI phantom .45 grip frame. Excellent mirror matching set. Flat top and bottom edges with some rounding along the vertices. Bottom rear corner rounded. Stable wood with small and large checks that go through panels.
Right panel thickness: 3/16”; 4.6mm
Left panel thickness: less than 3/16”; 4.1mm

SOLD Set B $OLD
bIMG_4497.JPGbIMG_4495.JPG
bIMG_4493.JPGbIMG_4494.JPG
Full coverage for CCI phantom .45 grip frame. One of the thickest and most rounded sets. While not a mirror matching set, these two pieces of wood where located adjacent to each other and share small areas of white spalting. Rounded top edges and beveled angled bottom edges with minor rounding along the vertices. Bottom rear corner is full point. Stable wood with small and medium checks that go through panels.
Right panel thickness: over 3/16”; 5.1mm
Left panel thickness: over 3/16”; 5.1mm

Set C $40
cIMG_4503.JPGcIMG_4502.JPG
cIMG_4500.JPGcIMG_4501.JPG
Out of spec coverage for CCI phantom .45 grip frame. Not as wide as normal .45 panels at the base. They have effectively parallel/straight sides rather than tapered sides. The thickest and one of the most rounded sets. Excellent mirror matching set. Rounded top edges and flat bottom edges with minor rounding along the vertices. Bottom rear corner is full point. Stable wood with small and medium checks that go through panels. Rich, dark brown color with matching white spalted spots on the leading edge.
Right panel thickness: just under 1/4”; 5.5mm
Left panel thickness: just under 1/4”; 560mm

Set D $55
dIMG_4509.JPGdIMG_4508.JPG
dIMG_4505.JPGdIMG_4506.JPG
dIMG_4522.JPG
Full coverage for Indian Creek Designs .45 grip frame. Will overhang awkwardly on CCI .45 grip (but can be adjusted to fit if so desired). Excellent mirror matching set. Rounded top edges and flat bottom edges with minor rounding along the vertices. Bottom rear corner is full point. Stable wood with small and medium checks that go through panels.
Right panel thickness: over 3/16”; 4.9mm
Left panel thickness: over 3/16”; 4.9mm

Set E $50
eIMG_4514.JPGeIMG_4512.JPG
eIMG_4510.JPGeIMG_4511.JPG
Full coverage for CCI phantom .45 grip frame. Excellent mirror matching set. Flat top edges and flat bottom edges with some rounding along the vertices. Bottom rear corner is full point. Stable wood with small checks that go through panels.
Right panel thickness: 3/16”; 4/8mm
Left panel thickness: over 3/16”; 5.1mm

Set F $45
fIMG_4518.JPGfIMG_4517.JPG
fIMG_4515.JPGfIMG_4516.JPG
Full coverage for CCI phantom .45 grip frame. Thinnest set. Excellent mirror matching set. Flat top edges and flat bottom edges with minor rounding along the vertices. Bottom rear corner is rounded. Stable wood with small checks that go through panels. Blond contrasting with chocolate brown bands.
Right panel thickness: just over 1/8”; 3.6mm
Left panel thickness: over 1/8”; 4.1mm

"Set" G $44 for the pair or $24 each
gIMG_4519.JPGgIMG_4520.JPG
gIMG_4521.JPG
Full coverage for CCI phantom .45 grip frame. Well, I was having a moment. And I rounded off the wrong side of the second panel. I blame the heat (and myself). These were going to be a matching set that also matched set E. Flat top and bottem edges with some rounding along the vertices. Bottom rear corner is a small rounded off corner. Stable wood with small and medium checks that go through panels. I will eventually make a pair of left hand panels to go with these (or you can ask nicely and I’ll get on it).
Two Right panel thickness: 3/16”; 4.2mm, 4.5mm

JCurt 90* grip panels $75/pair
hIMG_4530.JPGhIMG_4528.JPG
hIMG_4526.JPGhIMG_4525.JPG
Fits right over existing panels to give the Jcurt 90* phantom frame sick palm swells! Smooth finger shelves and grooves. Well matched set, super stable with no checks passing through the panels. Both panels are just over 1/4" or 7mm thick.

CCM 86* Panels--Seconds

$30 per Pair
IMG_4546.JPG
These were made while I was still perfecting my technique, and while getting an exact edge/corner match to the forward facing edges still dogs me, the lack of a match is more evident on these. Also the thickness of the thumb grooves is quite problematic with these--dipping down below the edge of the metal. These aren't bad, just not up to par. Also, each has a check that expanded into a larger hole that extends all the way through the panel. These will function, but may not be perfectly aesthetically pleasing.

Palm swell, ICD .45, CCI .45, RTR .45, WGP .45, AGD .45, CCM 86*, AGD single hole, RPG Triton, and other styles available in the future and per your request.

Trades/value: (I cannot add money for trades)
AGD AM/mm rail/$25
2x AGD xvalve bumpers/$10
2x Palmers Pursuit stabilizer Regulator seals/$12
3-9x40mm Rifle Scope with 3/8 dovetail rings
Rifled Barrel, 14", Nemesis/Hammerhead/LAPCO
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum

Last edited by Legolas; 08-16-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

IMG_4572.JPG

For all those waiting for palm swell Siberian Elm wood .45 grips, they are in production! I meant to make two pairs for myself, but now I have seven pairs lined up on the workbench.

Also, new style CCM 86* wood grip panels are on the way--they lack the "wing tip" at the top rear corner and have a more rounded look.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
Old 08-05-2019, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

I'm not really a wood grips guy, but these look fantastic. Beautiful product, sir.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

I don’t have any extra cash but the palm swell ones sound amazing. I had a beautiful set on my 1911 back in the day and they really set it off.

Nice work.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Rough slabs cut for panels and blocks shaped to make CCI .45 or CCM 86* grip panels are now available for purchase for anyone who wants to try their hand at shaping their own panels.
Group:
IMG_4597.JPG
.45 grip block that will slice into one pair of extremely thick (+1/2") or two pairs of about 1/4" normal thickness panels.
IMG_4596.JPG
IMG_4593.JPGIMG_4592.JPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando247 View Post
I'm not really a wood grips guy, but these look fantastic. Beautiful product, sir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive View Post
I donít have any extra cash but the palm swell ones sound amazing. I had a beautiful set on my 1911 back in the day and they really set it off.

Nice work.
Thank you for the compliments! The palm swell panels should be similar in grain to the new pair above.

Visit my Etsy store:

Last edited by Legolas; 08-09-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Chicken Hoarder

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
RTP Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
ooh, jcurt panels. will they work if you don't have the original grips?

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

a.greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.greenleaf View Post
ooh, jcurt panels. will they work if you don't have the original grips?
I tested the grips without the original panels underneath. Unfortunately, the wood panels are intended to have the original plastic panels installed underneath and without them, there is a small gap which would likely lead to edge chipping of the thin wood at the points (not a problem when installed flat against the original panels).

The best I could do is make some panels (palm swell or flat) that are the shape of the original plastic panels.

IMG_4603.JPGIMG_4604.JPG
pair of panels $68
Now with thumb/finger reliefs. High polish finish (no oil, yet). Extremely tight burl and straight quarter sawn grain. One small unfortunate pop-out on the front edge of one panel.

IMG_4606.JPG
$28 Pair of Make-your own panels. Tight pin burl Siberian Elm. One panel is just under 5/16", the other is just over 5/16".

Visit my Etsy store:

Last edited by Legolas; 08-08-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

IMG_4607.JPG
Palm Swell group of seven. please message me if you would like any of them customized to suit your taste.

IMG_4608.JPG
a.greenleaf--these panels or others could be made into to full sized palm swell grip panels for jcurt 90* grip. Please contact me if you are interested.

Visit my Etsy store:
Old 08-12-2019, 08:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

burly burly burlyburlyburly

Visit my Etsy store:
Old 08-16-2019, 07:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

All prices are now OBO! Please make offers, I want these things gone! Thanks!

Visit my Etsy store:

mcarterbrown.com » Buy, Sell, Trade » Misc Paintball Items