mcarterbrown.com  

Money and Finance Because you have to save money to spend it on new paintball stuff!

Old 11-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmagic71 View Post
6% into 401k
6% 401k match
$1500 +/- a month split 50/50 between my TDameritrade and LendingClub accounts.

As far as my stocks go I like pretty boring stuff that people have to use like electric or water utilities. Most of them pay 2-3% dividends and seem to increase at a steady (although certainly not rapid) pace.

I did go out on a limb and buy 8 or 9 shares of Ratheon (RTN) a couple of weeks ago and it's gone up about 5% already. It'll probably go back down a bit tho.
So far I've been right over the last few weeks. Buy in the mid to los 90's, sell in the low 100's. If I ever catch up on the tooling I want to buy, maybe I will actually be able to use that advice myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I really like the picture posts, because I don't understand most of the word posts.
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
My guess: large caps will continue to perform! Lots of cash on their books.

I have a hard time buying bonds right now, rates are low and if they ever start going up, bonds will drop in value. Once oil stops dropping and starts to climb, emerging mkts will bounce back.

P/E's are a little high, but it is 8 yrs later than 2008, just adjusting the S&P500 for inflation, it is not higher than 2008.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

I've been pretty pleased with lending club so far. Looks like I'll end the year with 2 defaults out of 230 loans and an overall return of about 11.5%

Not a bad place to stick some extra cash. Plus I really like that it pays out monthly and not quarterly.
blackmagic71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmagic71 View Post
I've been pretty pleased with lending club so far. Looks like I'll end the year with 2 defaults out of 230 loans and an overall return of about 11.5%

Not a bad place to stick some extra cash. Plus I really like that it pays out monthly and not quarterly.
Great feedback. Can you set it up to automatically reinvest instead of having a cash balance just sit there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I really like the picture posts, because I don't understand most of the word posts.
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
Great feedback. Can you set it up to automatically reinvest instead of having a cash balance just sit there?
Yeah, you set your criteria and it will automatically invest excess cash in your account into new loans.

I thought about trying it, but I only transfer money in once a week and I kind of like picking loans myself. Maybe the novelty will wear off in a few months and I'll switch to the automatic investing.

In the long run it looks like the rate of return drops to an average of 8%, which is still pretty good. I just don't think my account is old enough to have very many defaults yet.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Money and Finance