mcarterbrown.com  

Money and Finance Because you have to save money to spend it on new paintball stuff!

Old 11-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Villiage Idiot

Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
College

Keep an eye on this. Especially if you are getting ready to send a child off in the next few years. Lots of things are going to get shaken up.

~70% of schools didn't meet admissions goals last year, many of those this is the 2nd or 3rd year in a row.

UCONN budget is facing a possible cut of $300 Million over 2 years.

Free tuition for SUNY in NY is having huge ripple affects in the entire region.
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Someone ban that painthappy dude
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

They have no one but themselves to blame.

Cost of tuition, books etc. is through the roof. The classes are being run on autopilot. Half the time many of the teachers aren't even there, and this is at a well respected local state college my son attends. Not to mention they won't even bother sending an email out about cancellation till 30-45 mins before class.

If you can't afford to pay outright you are pretty much agreeing to shackling yourself to predatory loan practices with no recourse for the rest of your life.

Top this all off by the fact that by and large people that went to school aren't guaranteed that "payoff" in salary like there used to be. There are too many opportunities outside the box now.
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

tuition at UT went up @ 10% per yr while was there. It is hard for college to be a good investment anymore.
Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Not Northern per Mar

Wait since when is SUNY free? Im still paying off SUNYZ LOOANS...
Old 11-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Villiage Idiot

Fan of EMR
SUNY has a program for free tuition. I'm not an expert on the details but your family needs to be in a certain income bracket and I believe if you don't stay in the state for x years you end up having to pay it back.
They started it quite some time ago but did a huge expansion to the eligibility just a year or two ago.

As far as the complaints about it being their fault, loan practices ECT.... as with most things in life. It's complicated. It's also nothing I am going to argue about here one way or another.

This wasn't meant to start that debate. Or to be all doom and gloom. Just a heads up that people looking at it should know it's a buyers market.
Quote:
Old 11-10-2017, 05:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

I honestly am no longer sure that college is the best way anymore. When I grew up, I was told and indoctrinated into college and STEM. I think I caught the very end of the hiring wave, as it feels like all of my underclassmen can no longer find opportunities. It's not a matter of grades or not having the skills, just limited.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fire Avatar by Flounder

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
It's not like college is dead, but you need to be smart about the marketability of the degree versus the cost. I majored in history, and granted I got lucky landing in a reasonably lucrative technical field, but even so I find the communication skills I developed in college exceedingly beneficial.

My advice to my children will be to plan; plan to reduce cost and maximize value.

Or if I win the lottery I'll just send em to Harvard and they can major in Lesbian Interpretive Dance Theory for all I care
A: Society sucks

Join us next time for another episode of Existential MCB
Feedback

CAX
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Doctors and Lawyers went for further education. As could be expected. Other courses were offered as a way to further your education. Business. Math. Etc.

The new world has almost forced you to get a degree, but most companies don't actually give a damn what that degree is in or with which institution you got that degree.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Without getting too much into it college was probably the worst decision of my life and am fairly happy in a blue collar trade now. I don't wish ill of college bound students or want to see the market collapse on itself. I do hope this changing job market will allow more acceptance of other career choices. If one more person tries to tell me I don't deserve my wife or house because I don't have a degree so help me God...
somethingbenign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Villiage Idiot

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
... most companies don't actually give a damn what that degree is in or with which institution you got that degree.
This.

The main time that what college you go to plays a factor in your career is if the owner/highering manager when to that college. And that's nothing you should gamble on.

There are so many people out there with college degrees looking for jobs that many companies won't "settle" for someone without one. Much the same as a Grade school vs High school education "in my parents day".
Quote:

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Money and Finance